Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Nebraska - 1/17/22 @ 6:00 ET on BTN

Interesting note on Nebraska's roster:

The only scholarship player on their roster that isn't a freshman and started their career at Nebraska is Eduardo Andre.  Every other player is a freshman at Nebraska or began at another school and transferred to Nebraska.

^^ And some things that stand out to me from the +/- top lineups:

- Of the starters, Only TJD and Race are in both the top by minute and top overall +/- (that lines up for me)

- Rob is in the top lineup by minute (X is not), and the 2nd top lineup overall by +/- (that's interesting)

- All starters are in both the top lineup by usage and top lineup overall (but not by min)  (bet that's not true of a number of other games)

- Of subs, Bates, Galloway, and Rob were in top lineup by min and 2nd top lineup overall, Geronimo in the 2nd top lineup by min and 3d top lineup overall

Something that I would like to see moving forward is making opponents stop certain action and employing a counter to make them choose. Those plays drawn up for P Stew were fire (young person term) and Neb just left him wide open. I'd like to continue to exploit that until Neb does something differently. If we get both defenders running to P Stew, drop it inside to Trayce or Race for an easy dunk. Continue running it until they figure it out and then reset the cat/mouse game.

We've seen this used against us in the Syracuse game where they ran a high ball screen and we left their shooters open until they slipped it for either a kick out or dunk. Neb was exploiting P Stew, attacking him with whoever he was defending. Luckily we had Trayce and Race on the back end to alter some of those shots.

We do this to some degree with dumping it into Trayce and recently have been able to move the ball once he kicks it out. I think this would add another dynamic to our offense to make it harder for us to defend.

Just now, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This game is a good example of why a certain percentage of players don't want anything to do with the Big Ten.

Amen to that. That game was a picture perfect example of why a lot of talented players go elsewhere and why this conference struggles in March. Can't play football on a basketball court in the tournament.

6 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I love these, they help us see how our perceptions during the games match up at least on stats to which lineups were most efficient / productive.

Is there a consolidated breakdown completed and available for the season, or conference games? 

I’d like to see a total +/- for each player for the year.  Although it’s not always indicative of play, it’s always good to keep in mind.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This game is a good example of why a certain percentage of players don't want anything to do with the Big Ten.

I do agree with the sentiment….the Big Ten needs to stop playing and reffing ‘Big Ten basketball’ and go to basketball that rewards play of what it takes to win in the tourney.  And enough of changing the way the game is called from one half to the next.

don’t even get me started on the way they call moving screens.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

I do agree with the sentiment….the Big Ten needs to stop playing and reffing ‘Big Ten basketball’ and go to basketball that rewards play of what it takes to win in the tourney.  And enough of changing the way the game is called from one half to the next.

I think the officials should be full time employees of the NCAA and that conferences shouldn't be the one who hires officials.  Let the NCAA decide what officials do each game and not have certain refs do the same league all the time.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think the officials should be full time employees of the NCAA and that conferences shouldn't be the one who hires officials.  Let the NCAA decide what officials do each game and not have certain refs do the same league all the time.

I think that is an admirable idea, why hasn’t the NCAA control that?

3 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Couldn’t agree more 

On 1/17/2022 at 7:57 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Nebraska was dirty all game.
Refs were absolutely terrible.
Phin is a black hole on offense. Can’t shoot, can’t run offense, can’t break a press. I’m really down on him. Always have been.
X was only slightly better than Phin, but better. He got fouled a ton tonight without getting calls because he looks out of control all the time.
PSTEW is our only 3 point shooter I trust.
Geronimo played XCellent!
Bates was better.
Durr is Duh.
When we ever have a team that can shoot the 3 ball we can extend leads and break a teams will, but until then every game will be a grind.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I certainly with you on the dirty play Wayne .I didn’t see Phil and X play quite that bad but I fo see X going off too much when under fire, he needs to work on staying calm.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I've always thought the same. Problem is, officials still wouldn't be held accountable. They are treated like gods you can't criticize by conferences. 

15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Unfortunately, this is what the Big 1.o wants. They love to tout upperclassmen, physicality, and best scouted league in the country. Awesome to be consistently up there as one of the best conferences but laughable it's been 20+ years since a natty. The Big 1.o might snag another title when we stop allowing football on hardwood.

21 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Thanks for this. I posted about it in game with regard to the Phin, Bates, Galloway grouping.   

Our guys 3-9 are all pretty close. What separates them is getting to play with Race and TJD. Or even just TJD.  

One or the other must remain on the floor at all times 

11 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

One or the other must remain on the floor at all times 

This is re: TJD and Race and it’s absolutely correct. That probably means one has to come out earlier, maybe at the U16 TO, in order to come back sooner.

Durr is going to need to give good minutes tomorrow but I was also encouraged that CMW finished the Nebraska game with the Geronimo/Race front line. That may work against Trevion tomorrow if Trayce needs a breather