Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU_FanClub

Serious Question

9 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

Obviously it's no secret that IU fans are about as passionate as it gets. My question is why do we as a fanbase have to lose our heads and act like the season is over after every loss? Did we play well last night? No of course not. Do we have issues on the road? Definitely. But we're 12-4 and the issues are clearly fixable. Why can't we just enjoy the ups and downs of the season and ride with the team instead of questioning the very existence of the program after every bad game? This team is very close to being very good and for as bad as we've played in some of these road games we've had chances to win every single one of them. It's completely reasonable to think they can fix some of the issues and get some real momentum going here. We got a big week ahead of us let's enjoy the season Go Hoosiers!

Was a new account needed for this thread?

I haven't seen many (maybe 1 or 2) acting like the season is over. We still have plenty of games to win and lose (on the road). We have issues that are not just road related but are bad basketball related. When are these issues going to be fixed when they've been doing this from the first game of the season? More than half of our wins have been against bad teams where we could out talent them even with the glaring, unfixed bad basketball issues. We've had chances to win every road game but the issues that remain unfixed have caused us to lose. 3 of those 4 road games were against not so great teams, 2 in conference were against 1 conference win teams. It'll take a lot better basketball to gain some momentum. We have a CHANCE to get a road win against a bad Nebrasketball team that does very little to our overall resume besides adding a W in the column of victories over bad basketball teams. If we lose that game, look out! When we win that game you better believe the hype train will be rolling.

35 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

Obviously it's no secret that IU fans are about as passionate as it gets. My question is why do we as a fanbase have to lose our heads and act like the season is over after every loss? Did we play well last night? No of course not. Do we have issues on the road? Definitely. But we're 12-4 and the issues are clearly fixable. Why can't we just enjoy the ups and downs of the season and ride with the team instead of questioning the very existence of the program after every bad game? This team is very close to being very good and for as bad as we've played in some of these road games we've had chances to win every single one of them. It's completely reasonable to think they can fix some of the issues and get some real momentum going here. We got a big week ahead of us let's enjoy the season Go Hoosiers!

It's a great first post and a tried and true 'thing to wonder on.'

I think you answered it in the first line of your post; IU fans are about as passionate as it gets. And many of the ones on a message board are dialed in to dissect every aspect of IU performance. There is also plenty of big picture talk, but usually not while the ball is bouncing.

I get annoyed when posters overwhelmingly cite the negatives without also citing the positives; there are clearly both. So I push back against that dynamic now and then, but WE DO NOT CENSOR substantive posts, whether they are entirely negative or not.

Last night there was so much groupthink about how the sky is falling, the team is "embarrassing", etc. The mods always let that groupthink stand, but others are also always allowed to disagree. We do not censor groupthink, either of the positive or negative variety ever. Completely off-topic or name calling? That's when we try to (first) gently warn people, and then if it doesn't cease, remove posts. It's a tricky balancing act at times and an inexact science. However, when the pendulum is done swinging the entire picture almost always gets out.

@Stuhoo Thank you! My post was more stemming from fans on Twitter than anything else so I thought I'd come here for some iubb conversation! Sometimes it seems like IU fans just don't enjoy themselves at all during the season even during wins. IU basketball has been a huge part of my life and it has always been my favorite thing/hobby and I just think as fans we should enjoy it a bit more. Obviously performances like last night are not acceptable but I get a feel with Woody and these guys that I just trust them to get it together make the necessary changes. Looking forward to more iubb talk!

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Was a new account needed for this thread?

I haven't seen many (maybe 1 or 2) acting like the season is over. We still have plenty of games to win and lose (on the road). We have issues that are not just road related but are bad basketball related. When are these issues going to be fixed when they've been doing this from the first game of the season? More than half of our wins have been against bad teams where we could out talent them even with the glaring, unfixed bad basketball issues. We've had chances to win every road game but the issues that remain unfixed have caused us to lose. 3 of those 4 road games were against not so great teams, 2 in conference were against 1 conference win teams. It'll take a lot better basketball to gain some momentum. We have a CHANCE to get a road win against a bad Nebrasketball team that does very little to our overall resume besides adding a W in the column of victories over bad basketball teams. If we lose that game, look out! When we win that game you better believe the hype train will be rolling.

Wasn't trying to aim at people on this board I know it looked like that. Mainly just from people on Twitter being constantly miserable about the team even after wins

2 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

@Stuhoo Thank you! My post was more stemming from fans on Twitter than anything else so I thought I'd come here for some iubb conversation! Sometimes it seems like IU fans just don't enjoy themselves at all during the season even during wins. IU basketball has been a huge part of my life and it has always been my favorite thing/hobby and I just think as fans we should enjoy it a bit more. Obviously performances like last night are not acceptable but I get a feel with Woody and these guys that I just trust them to get it together make the necessary changes. Looking forward to more iubb talk!

Ya know -- people.

I was completely immersed in the game last night. When it fell apart I said "oh well", took the dogs out, stole half of my wife's popcorn, made a few snotty posts, and slept soundly!

But that's me.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Ya know -- people.

I was completely immersed in the game last night. When it fell apart I said "oh well", took the dogs out, stole half of my wife's popcorn, made a few snotty posts, and slept soundly!

But that's me.

After a tough loss I usually just try to distract myself with a tv show. Started the new season of The Righteous Gemstones last night great show.

[mention=1447]Stuhoo[/mention] Thank you! My post was more stemming from fans on Twitter than anything else so I thought I'd come here for some iubb conversation! Sometimes it seems like IU fans just don't enjoy themselves at all during the season even during wins. IU basketball has been a huge part of my life and it has always been my favorite thing/hobby and I just think as fans we should enjoy it a bit more. Obviously performances like last night are not acceptable but I get a feel with Woody and these guys that I just trust them to get it together make the necessary changes. Looking forward to more iubb talk!

Twitter is a cesspool. It’s been extremely effective at doing exactly the opposite of what it was originally created to do; bring people together. There are reasons for this but we’re not intelligent enough (as a society) to realize this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

Wasn't trying to aim at people on this board I know it looked like that. Mainly just from people on Twitter being constantly miserable about the team even after wins

In my opinion? Twitter is simply another means of communication. The most reactionary people on it tend to be more noticeable.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Twitter is a cesspool. It’s been extremely effective at doing exactly the opposite of what it was originally created to do; bring people together. There are reasons for this but we’re not intelligent enough (as a society) to realize this.

Twitter was not created to "bring people together." That is what a good Irish pub or a town dog park is for!

Twitter, TikTok, message boards, billboards by the highway; they are all simply means of public communication run by private companies. If you don't want to see it it's not too tough.

Twitter was not created to "bring people together." That is what a good Irish pub or a town dog park is for!

Twitter, TikTok, message boards, billboards by the highway; they are all simply means of public communication run by private companies. If you don't want to see it it's not too tough.

Errr, should have read Facebook, the predecessor to Twitter was created to bring people together. Twitter started as a sort of spin-off to this to COMMUNICATE to larger groups. However, like the majority of social media it is a cesspool. I don’t Facebook, Tik Tok, Instagram or any of that other stuff. Too many people can creep on you. ;-)

Edit: Section 230 is a great way to cover your backside for all the insanity that you’d like to have on your site but being a private company you can boot the crazies you don’t agree with. At least we get to keep all the big tech companies here in the US. Another conversation for another time on a platform that is not BtownBanners.

43 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Errr, should have read Facebook, the predecessor to Twitter was created to bring people together. Twitter started as a sort of spin-off to this to COMMUNICATE to larger groups. However, like the majority of social media it is a cesspool. I don’t Facebook, Tik Tok, Instagram or any of that other stuff. Too many people can creep on you. ;-)

Edit: Section 230 is a great way to cover your backside for all the insanity that you’d like to have on your site but being a private company you can boot the crazies you don’t agree with. At least we get to keep all the big tech companies here in the US. Another conversation for another time on a platform that is not BtownBanners.

Ohh ohh ohh…. I want to rail on Twitter so badly. And yeah, Indiana fans that want or expect a powerhouse program are the worst…….

In all honesty, most of us can watch and evaluate basketball and talent.  The W/L is a measuring stick.  But we can tell.  Just Watch the product.  Indiana is a bit bipolar this season, more than Archie’s slow motion trainwreck.  We’ve played some good ball and a lot of terrible ball.  If you are a fan content to be a NCAA fringe/hopeful  you are getting what you expect. You can enjoy the ride and sit on the edge of your seat come selection Sunday.  If you are a fan that wants us to be and behave like a blue blood you are mostly disappointed all the time because we aren’t and don’t even try to act like it anymore.  

Therefore, reset your expectations to “maybe making the tournament” and the Indiana fanbase can be happy again.  Win/win/win but with a lot of losses on the court and particularly on the RoAd!!!!!

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Ya know -- people.

But that's me.

Yea I just snuggled up with my daughter, turned on Ancient Aliens and went to sleep lol. But in my head I'm still saying, "Wow we suck." So it's whatever. Knew going into the season this team would be a fringe tourney team but they've screwed themselves out of some great opportunities by just having the worst lack of focus and commitment to detail and effort you could possibly see. 

1 hour ago, IU_FanClub said:

Twitter is a rage farm intended to get people arguing with each other. Get out of there and don't look back. 

I think most of us know where we are. This team has the potential to be pretty good, but it has a lot of holes. When we play well we are thinking, hey, maybe we've figured something out. But then a loss reminds us we are still the same team we knew we were. Sometimes it's frustrating. All in all, I think most of us are looking for improvement over the course of the season. It's also much tougher when they play a really good half and then crap all over the court the next half.

Personally, I slept pretty well last night, but I remember the days when I would replay the whole game in my head and lose hours of sleep. I think what has transpired over the last couple years has really made me think about my sports consumption. I definitely don't plan my weekends around sports like I used to. It's been good for me, but everyone has their own path.

I got off of twitter and the others a couple years ago. This is where I go for my social media fix.

32 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ohh ohh ohh…. I want to rail on Twitter so badly. And yeah, Indiana fans that want or expect a powerhouse program are the worst…….

In all honesty, most of us can watch and evaluate basketball and talent.  The W/L is a measuring stick.  But we can tell.  Just Watch the product.  Indiana is a bit bipolar this season, more than Archie’s slow motion trainwreck.  We’ve played some good ball and a lot of terrible ball.  If you are a fan content to be a NCAA fringe/hopeful  you are getting what you expect. You can enjoy the ride and sit on the edge of your seat come selection Sunday.  If you are a fan that wants us to be and behave like a blue blood you are mostly disappointed all the time because we aren’t and don’t even try to act like it anymore.  

Therefore, reset your expectations to “maybe making the tournament” and the Indiana fanbase can be happy again.  Win/win/win but with a lot of losses on the court and particularly on the RoAd!!!!!

I feel like there can be a happy medium with fans wanting us to get back to playing like a powerhouse program and also not being constantly negative. Way I see it is this season is all about breaking the ice with the tournament, winning 20 games, and building momentum moving forward as we continue to bring in talented players. This team as constructed was never going to be a powerhouse this season but I do think it's a team that can win 20 or so games and get into the tournament without sweating it out on selection sunday. Last night was a bad result and our other road losses were bad but it just seems like when we lose it's complete armageddon. 

17 minutes ago, IU_FanClub said:

I feel like there can be a happy medium with fans wanting us to get back to playing like a powerhouse program and also not being constantly negative. Way I see it is this season is all about breaking the ice with the tournament, winning 20 games, and building momentum moving forward as we continue to bring in talented players. This team as constructed was never going to be a powerhouse this season but I do think it's a team that can win 20 or so games and get into the tournament without sweating it out on selection sunday. Last night was a bad result and our other road losses were bad but it just seems like when we lose it's complete armageddon. 

Some of that could be because it seems we always lose for the same reasons with no noticeable improvement.  Too many turnovers, couldn't throw it in the ocean, low bball in, etc.

54 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Indiana fans that want or expect a powerhouse program are the worst…….

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not, but either way count me in the category of the "worst of the worst" b/c I absolutely want and expect a powerhouse program (though I suppose we could dig in to what one defines "powerhouse" as but I'll skip those semantics for now). And I'll go to my grave believing it's 100% reasonable to have that expectation for this program. 

54 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If you are a fan content to be a NCAA fringe/hopeful  you are getting what you expect. You can enjoy the ride and sit on the edge of your seat come selection Sunday.  If you are a fan that wants us to be and behave like a blue blood you are mostly disappointed all the time because we aren’t and don’t even try to act like it anymore.  

This is so much more nuanced than you're making it out to be though. Like, who honestly has their expectations at "maybe making the tournament"? Every single poster here wants what you want, or we wouldn't be here. 

5 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Some of that could be because it seems we always lose for the same reasons with no noticeable improvement.  Too many turnovers, couldn't throw it in the ocean, low bball in, etc.

Oh I totally agree it's frustrating and needs to improve but I also see loads of improvement in this team from the last few as well. For example these road games we're walking into while we are beating ourselves and it's super frustrating, we are still giving ourselves a chance to win even while playing terrible if we can just clean it up a little bit when we go on the road we could grab some really nice wins