Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IU_FanClub

Serious Question

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Prereqs for med school >>> med school >>> board certification is SLIGHTLY different than a college degree (which I hadn't heard of this being a requirement for college coaches, link?)

https://nypost.com/2014/06/14/college-coach-accused-of-lying-on-resume-dont-do-what-i-did/
this happen a couple years ago.  Crazy situation 

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Prereqs for med school >>> med school >>> board certification is SLIGHTLY different than a college degree (which I hadn't heard of this being a requirement for college coaches, link?)

How do you become a basketball coach?
Most basketball coaches have at least a bachelor's degree in an area related to sports or coaching. Coaching education, sports management and physical education degree programs may offer courses that cover sports management, marketing, motivational psychology, sports ethics, legal responsibilities, coaching tactics and nutrition.

58 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because the subs are usually not better than starters so when we have 5 subs in against other team starters that is not good.

How could you know the subs are usually not better than starters? How do you know 5 subs in against the other team starters is not good?

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

How could you know the subs are usually not better than starters? How do you know 5 subs in against the other team starters is not good?

I have watched basketball for 50 years and have seen a lot of games but that doesn't mean I am qualified to coach at a D1 level.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I remember that story but not the details! Is there an NCAA requirement or is it left up to the universities?

I’m not sure I just remembered that happening and looked it up again.   I think it happened in college football as well 

6 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I am certain that the gap between coaches and fans, in terms of basketball intelligence, is anywhere close to what is being claimed.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have watched basketball for 50 years and have seen a lot of games but that doesn't mean I am qualified to coach at a D1 level.

It's almost as if people will skip over what was being stated. I think 50 years of watching basketball, hell probably 50 minutes with the second unit, is enough in my book to realize it's not working. Others might require you to work your way up from the middle school ranks to understand this. (this is sarcasm, calm down people)

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

I’m not sure I just remembered that happening and looked it up again.   I think it happened in college football as well 

I don't recall the football one but do recall this one. I'm not shocked this happened though. Pretty easy to overlook it in that situation, I had to go through a whole process for several degrees.

24 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I am pretty sure the football one was George O'Leary who got the ND job. They found out later he lied that he had a college degree but didn't

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

I was watching a game the other night, like the whole thing, both two twenty minute periods. These people were just running all around and then threw the orange thing towards that clear thing hanging in the air. It went through the other orange thing sometimes and other times didn't. I was sitting there thinking how could anyone other than coaches understand how this thing works. They just kept running and running, sometimes they ran into the other people and then it stopped. Those people in the striped shirts blew the whistle sometimes and it stopped.

This one person was standing next to this other person then he kind of looked at the person with the ball when he did that person he was kind of standing next to before he ran to the clear thing hanging in the air. Then that person with the ball threw it at him real hard then he put it through the orange circle thing. I just couldn't figure out how he could run by the other player and catch the ball and put it through the circle thing.

I called up my local coach right after that game so I could learn. He told me only coaches could understand the game and it was useless to try to learn.

Congrats, it sounds like you're well on your way! I have it on good authority if you watch one or two more you'll be a fully experienced coach yourself. 

Perhaps you should have offered to share your knowledge with that poor unfortunate coach instead. He probably just felt intimidated and reacted poorly. 

I am pretty sure the football one was George O'Leary who got the ND job. They found out later he lied that he had a college degree but didn't

He had a degree, he lied about having a masters. Also said he lettered in football at college, he never played a down. Oopsies.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Oh goodness. I have been reading this thread, and the general theme that a non-professional coach could handle the on-court/strategic job brings me back to a very, very special moment in time.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to quote a post from 2014:

On 4/23/2014 at 9:20 AM, fivestarhtm said:

Brad Stevens. Brad Stevens. Brad Stevens. That's all I could pull from that mess of a post littered with speculations and spelling errors my 3rd grade niece doesn't dare make. So quickly we all forget the TEAM Crean built that turned us around. Were you under a rock between 2008 and 2011? Did you jump on board and buy a "We're back" shirt?

doing five thugs at once an listening to people like u u talk about how crean turned this program around gets old we what has crean done in 6 years but win one big ten title. An not to say was probably one of the best teams iu ever had has to me was a bigger let down than us not making the tourney this year. What has crean done indiana basketball doesn't care about sweet sixteens we r about banners an competing for at the top along side the best. We r far from tht. Crean is probably one of the worst coaches with x's an o's in the big ten an has no idea when it comes to the bench an subs. An no I'm a cutter grew up in btown an yah I can't spell oh well an not saying much if ur niece can spell better than me. But I have been around here along time have a state ring with Bloomington north in 99' an have coached middle school bob for 12 years an have been part of indiana elite program for awhile an I knw many of these kids on the team an around the state. Ur probably just one of these kids tht came into town went to school an think u really knw what iu basketball really is. But us here born an raised bleed basketball an iu basketball. Crean has not done anything in his career but one final four in what 20 years coaching. 2 sweet sixteens here an a big ten champ thts not IU standards bud

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

54 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh goodness. I have been reading this thread, and the general theme that a non-professional coach could handle the on-court/strategic job brings me back to a very, very special moment in time.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to quote a post from 2014:

I just lost some brain cells 

9 hours ago, hoosierbgh said:

Congrats, it sounds like you're well on your way! I have it on good authority if you watch one or two more you'll be a fully experienced coach yourself. 

Perhaps you should have offered to share your knowledge with that poor unfortunate coach instead. He probably just felt intimidated and reacted poorly. 

He said, no chance for that as I didn't go to coachin' skool. He did say if I was lucky in 5 years I might be able to understand why the players run around but I'd have to study real hard for dat.

IUScott said: "Even with IT they were still 7-5 and if Turner didn't decide to start playing like he was capable of we wouldn't have won."

Actually, IU turned it around before Landon Turner started playing like an All American. It happened when Knight gave into his players' request that Isiah become "the coach on the floor." Once Bobby let Isiah play his way, IU started playing like a really good team. But Turner's improved play made them the team that steamrolled its way to the national championship. Would IU had won without Turner playing at his potential. Hard to tell. IU also had Tolbert, Kitchel and Whitman in addition to Isiah Thomas which made them a really good team. They also had Jim Thomas, Steve Risley, and Stever Bouchie who were really good role players. 

10 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

IUScott said: "Even with IT they were still 7-5 and if Turner didn't decide to start playing like he was capable of we wouldn't have won."

Actually, IU turned it around before Landon Turner started playing like an All American. It happened when Knight gave into his players' request that Isiah become "the coach on the floor." Once Bobby let Isiah play his way, IU started playing like a really good team. But Turner's improved play made them the team that steamrolled its way to the national championship. Would IU had won without Turner playing at his potential. Hard to tell. IU also had Tolbert, Kitchel and Whitman in addition to Isiah Thomas which made them a really good team. They also had Steve Risley and Stever Bouchie who were a good role players. 

Ummm, and a quiet force named Jim Thomas as the first guy off the bench. He of the NBA playing and (still) coaching career, and a guy who I would very much love to see Woody add to the IUBB staff if both were so inclined.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Ummm, and a quiet force named Jim Thomas as the first guy off the bench. He of the NBA playing and (still) coaching career, and a guy who I would very much love to see Woody add to the IUBB staff if both were so inclined.

I would say without Turner playing like he was capable, they would not have won it.

I would like to see Jim Thomas & Randy Whitman join the staff.  What about Keith Smart joining the staff too?  Heck, let’s just make the entire staff IU BB Alums!!!  Just kidding, but all are or have been good coaches!