Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - 01/13/22 @ 9:00 ET on FS1

41 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I want a tighter rotation. Galloway, X split time at point. Leal, Stewart and Kopp split time at sg and sf and Geronimo, Thompson and TJD split time at pf and c.

no more phinisee, no more Durr. Tighten it up so we never have more than 3 starters sitting and keep balance. 

TJD is gonna have to play 35+. I don't even remember Crean sitting all 5 starters like that. Always seemed like we had at least 1 of Yogi, Hulls, Vic, Watford or Zeller on the floor. Really helped having Verdell off the bench one year and then Sheehey the year after. 

The problem with this team starts and ends with PG play. Sure there are countless little or not so little things to complain about but there is one thing driving the losses. When they get some semblance of decent PG play they get results like the OSU game.

When you have horribly sub par PG play, whether it be from being a complete non threat, a poor % bad shooting option, an unreliable shooter at the line, or veteran with an inexplicable lack of understanding how to beat a press, they lose.

vs   Syr  40 min  6pts    .500FG  1.00 FT  4 total shots taken

vs Wisc  40min 12pts   .250FG .285FT  20 total shots taken

vs PSU   51 min 18pts   .352 FG .666FT  17 total shots taken

vs Iowa  43 min  9pts   .250 FG .600 FT  12 total shots taken

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Oof, the ORtg for our bench guys last night is just brutal (besides Trey). Why Woody still goes to the all bench lineups is beyond me. No reason we can’t keep 2 starters on the court at all times. 

7584E3DC-1F33-4680-972D-C09B454514E2.thumb.png.57b04dda1fddae32aa888c889cdcc1f0.png

What does that -13.8 BPM next to Phinisee’s name mean?

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Oof, the ORtg for our bench guys last night is just brutal (besides Trey). Why Woody still goes to the all bench lineups is beyond me. No reason we can’t keep 2 starters on the court at all times. 

7584E3DC-1F33-4680-972D-C09B454514E2.thumb.png.57b04dda1fddae32aa888c889cdcc1f0.png

That stretch in the first half when Durr came in with the other bench players was glaring - Iowa overcame our lead and went ahead.  Woodson knows infinitely more than I do, but darn that has become a predictable collapse.

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

What does that -13.8 BPM next to Phinisee’s name mean?

Box Plus/Minus

It's an advanced plus/minus that I don't totally understand, but is calculated using like 15 different stats.

edit: here's a Basketball Reference article on it, which didn't help me understand it any better, but maybe it'll help someone

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm2.html

12 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

That stretch in the first half when Durr came in with the other bench players was glaring - Iowa overcame our lead and went ahead.  Woodson knows infinitely more than I do, but darn that has become a predictable collapse.

NBA teams do this type of thing in the second quarter, right? That’s my only thought of why he does this but this isn’t the NBA and we don’t have the talent to effectively pull it off. I’m hoping he figures that out but I doubt it changes as he’s done it in every game and clearly it’s part of his strategy for whatever reason

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That turnover% and defensive rebounding% will get you beat in a lot of games, home or away. Two areas we struggled with even during our cupcake noncon schedule. We really need to get better at making adjustments in game. We only had 9 turnovers in the first half and followed that up 3 quick ones to start the second half. the adjustment we made was to keep turning it over, just with different people!

Boggles my mind how our program hasn’t been able to even get respectable guard play since Tom Crean. I thought things would improve when we brought TB and XJ in but TB is a dud at this point and XJ is the pg version of Troy Williams. This roster is constructed so poorly (not this staffs fault) and needs complete retooling, if we are to expect any satisfactory results in the next 2 years. Woody is definitely an upgrade to his predecessors, imho. I think he’s getting the absolute best out of what he has but this feels like we need to tear it to the ground and rebuild from the ground up. That’s both frustrating and demoralizing, considering how long and often we’ve been wallowing in mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, HoosierTrav said:

Boggles my mind how our program hasn’t been able to even get respectable guard play since Tom Crean. I thought things would improve when we brought TB and XJ in but TB is a dud at this point and XJ is the pg version of Troy Williams. This roster is constructed so poorly (not this staffs fault) and needs complete retooling, if we are to expect any satisfactory results in the next 2 years. Woody is definitely an upgrade to his predecessors, imho. I think he’s getting the absolute best out of what he has but this feels like we need to tear it to the ground and rebuild from the ground up. That’s both frustrating and demoralizing, considering how long and often we’ve been wallowing in mediocrity. 

I get that Woody didn't have a lot of time to construct the roster but he did bring these players in. Is there another reason it's not his fault?

2 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I want a tighter rotation. Galloway, X split time at point. Leal, Stewart and Kopp split time at sg and sf and Geronimo, Thompson and TJD split time at pf and c.

no more phinisee, no more Durr. Tighten it up so we never have more than 3 starters sitting and keep balance. 

Durr needs to play.  We need him next year when TJD and likely Race are gone.

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

There will be games where Durr can play a role. Last night was not one of those games.

What is concerning is many realized this before the game and he still got 5 minutes too many.

A lot of posters have been calling out the silliness of a second unit and we saw it kill us last night.

Some posters have been talking about the issues with turnovers, shooting, effort lulls, and dumb play and we continue BAU without putting our players in the best position to succeed.

45 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

NBA teams do this type of thing in the second quarter, right? That’s my only thought of why he does this but this isn’t the NBA and we don’t have the talent to effectively pull it off. I’m hoping he figures that out but I doubt it changes as he’s done it in every game and clearly it’s part of his strategy for whatever reason

I assume so (I pay no attention to the NBA and haven't for years).

I guess the best hope is that the roster develops over coming seasons so that his platooning is viable and effective.  All things considered, I'm pretty happy with Woodson.  He's done pretty well with what he had, but he must build & develop the roster.

1 minute ago, pumpfake said:

Exactly.  Asking him to defend beyond 10 feet from the rim is asking for failure, IMO.  

It's funny - I think that for his size he does a decent job defending on the perimeter. On the interior? Yikes.

Just now, pumpfake said:

Exactly.  Asking him to defend beyond 10 feet from the rim is asking for failure, IMO.  

Franimal owned Woody with that move. Kris Murray got going and then decided he would take it to Race and Trayce too. What's that about a random bench player going off on us again? It's like we never learn but expect differently.

5 minutes ago, pumpfake said:

I assume so (I pay no attention to the NBA and haven't for years).

I guess the best hope is that the roster develops over coming seasons so that his platooning is viable and effective.  All things considered, I'm pretty happy with Woodson.  He's done pretty well with what he had, but he must build & develop the roster.

Good coaches adjust to their roster and play the style that best fits their current players. We've had this discussion with the two previous coaches. I HOPE we have a massive infusion of talent at all positions but I'm not holding my breath as we're looking at holes in the roster next season too.

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What?? Rob shoots 3% worse from three, 14% worse from two, and 23% worse from the free throw line than Xavier. We’ve seen what starting Phinisee does for three years now, and he’s worse on offense than ever before. 

I don't trust Johnson at all with the ball in his hands, he is too inconsistent and out of control.  Same goes for the defensive end.

Rob I don't trust much but at least I know he'll play consistently great defense and stay under control on offense.