Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - 01/13/22 @ 9:00 ET on FS1

6 minutes ago, CS2 said:

And yet we can.

I understand the frustration but the first team AA was gone until MW showed up.  TJD cannot do it himself when he has two guys hanging all over him.  We lost because we couldn't break 2 2 1, 1 2 2 and M2M presses.  MUCH better guard play is coming which is something else we would not have right now had Scott not pulled the trigger when he did.

*You can.  If it's a freebie year then why even play Johnson or Kopp or anybody else that won't be here next year?  Get the young guys some more run.  Actually I know why, the coaching staff doesn't see it that way, not at all.  They are trying to win now as they should.  

And potentially much better guard play is coming while inside the post next year will be a wide, gaping hole left by TJD and Thompson. 

25 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Woodson isn't to blame for the roster in full.  Though there was a time in the first half when IU had an 8-9 point lead.  Then he put in a lineup that included Durr, Galloway, Phinisee, Bates, and Kopp I believe.  Terrible lineup frankly and Iowa tied it within a few minutes.  Those are the sort of situations that make you scratch your head.  

And we're still turning it over against that "pressure." Didn't see us attacking it any differently from the first time we turned it over against the zone to the 35th time we turned it over against the zone.

54 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

I'd start Phinisee.  At this point I'd take his defense and serviceable outside shooting over whatever Johnson brings 

What?? Rob shoots 3% worse from three, 14% worse from two, and 23% worse from the free throw line than Xavier. We’ve seen what starting Phinisee does for three years now, and he’s worse on offense than ever before. 

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What?? Rob shoots 3% worse from three, 14% worse from two, and 23% worse from the free throw line than Xavier. We’ve seen what starting Phinisee does for three years now, and he’s worse on offense than ever before. 

The problem with the point guards is that there is no "best option." Except for on the days where there is.

Our guard play with X and Rob is like Forrest Gump's box o chocolates -- you never know what you're gonna get.

Lander is the prototypical 'backup QB who hasn't played.' Many are hoping he's the answer because he hasn't been on the field enough to create a bad impression ... yet. But his jump shot is just as flawed (or more so) as any of them, and his defense has been really weak. So at least with X and Rob we know we're getting solid or excellent defense. And that's better than a bad shooter with likely lousy defensive instincts. Even at their worst, there was no guard penetration against X or Rob last night. 

Meanwhile, Race Thompson had FIVE turnovers. FIVE! And that's without the ball in his hands all that much. That is turrrrible.

I'm still a fan of more Geronimo. Nebraska does not have a ton of size -- hoping that Durr's seven or eight minutes disappears and adds to Jordan's minutes. 

6 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

The problem with the point guards is that there is no "best option." Except for on the days where there is.

Our guard play with X and Rob is like Forrest Gump's box o chocolates -- you never know what you're gonna get.

Lander is the prototypical 'backup QB who hasn't played.' Many are hoping he's the answer because he hasn't been on the field enough to create a bad impression ... yet. But his jump shot is just as flawed (or more so) as any of them, and his defense has been really weak. So at least with X and Rob we know we're getting solid or excellent defense. And that's better than a bad shooter with likely lousy defensive instincts. Even at their worst, there was no guard penetration against X or Rob last night. 

Meanwhile, Race Thompson had FIVE turnovers. FIVE! And that's without the ball in his hands all that much. That is turrrrible.

I'm still a fan of more Geronimo. Nebraska does not have a ton of size -- hoping that Durr's seven or eight minutes disappears and adds to Jordan's minutes. 

Couldn’t agree with this more. Lander struggles to keep his man in front of him and with how good Iowa is at offense with him in Iowa likely scores more and we struggle to score at a great enough clip to recover from a bigger deficit.

I fully expect the 5 on 5 off lineup changes against Nebraska. Hopefully it won’t matter and we beat them anyway - but us fans notice it, the announcers ask who’s going to take shots when that lineup is in so I fail to understand why the staff doesn’t recognize that’s a problem. Ohio St game is the only time I can recall where that hasn’t cost us

25 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The problem with the point guards is that their is no "best option." Except for on the days where there is.

I mean, look. I beat the drum for Lander a ton earlier this season but I stopped because (1) I know it annoyed the crap out of everyone and (2) it’s obvious that he’s not in the staff’s plans for this year. I think it’s a big mistake, but nothing I can do. 

(One) of my issues with Phinisee is that we don’t have the personnel to play a guard with his limited offensive skill set. Ideally you want him playing next to shooters and a primary ball handler. He’s a good defender so you want to find him minutes, especially in certain matchups. But you don’t want him as your only playmaker out there because he’s not much of a playmaker. He plays best next to Xavier, but that’s not great because then he can’t give Xavier a breather. We don’t have a bunch of shooters to play next to him. Kopp and Stewart are our only guys shooting 36% from 3 or higher, and they’re cycling in and out when Rob plays. 

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

Did you watch the game tonight?

So who do you prefer?

For me it hasn't changed: X starts and plays 25+. When he sits both Phin and Galloway need to be out there. Phin and X together is generally a good idea, especially as part of our best defensive lineup when we're ahead in the last ten minutes of the game.

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The problem with the point guards is that their is no "best option." Except for on the days where there is.

Wish we could go back to the off-season where we only had "good problems." Our lineups there were so much better!

You would think after a few turnovers by Race we would have attempted to break that daunted Iowa press a little differently. We didn't even really make them work for a lot of those turnovers. We either dribbled right where they wanted us or just gave them an easy assist for a bucket. Such is life as an IU fan. The Big 1.o road is tough and next to impossible for this group.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean, look. I beat the drum for Lander a ton earlier this season but I stopped because (1) I know it annoyed the crap out of everyone and (2) it’s obvious that he’s not in the staff’s plans for this year. I think it’s a big mistake, but nothing I can do. 

(One) of my issues with Phinisee is that we don’t have the personnel to play a guard with his limited offensive skill set. Ideally you want him playing next to shooters and a primary ball handler. He’s a good defender so you want to find him minutes, especially in certain matchups. But you don’t want him as your only playmaker out there because he’s not much of a playmaker. He plays best next to Xavier, but that’s not great because then he can’t give Xavier a breather. We don’t have a bunch of shooters to play next to him. Kopp and Stewart are our only guys shooting 36% from 3 or higher, and they’re cycling in and out when Rob plays. 

Is Lander a threat on offense? I'm sure he was better this year, in his limited time, than last and all those airballs are etched in my memory, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Lander would be over X or Phin.

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

So who do you prefer?

For me it hasn't changed: X starts and plays 25+. When he sits both Phin and Galloway need to be out there. Phin and X together is generally a good idea, especially as part of our best defensive lineup when we're ahead in the last ten minutes of the game.

I want a tighter rotation. Galloway, X split time at point. Leal, Stewart and Kopp split time at sg and sf and Geronimo, Thompson and TJD split time at pf and c.

no more phinisee, no more Durr. Tighten it up so we never have more than 3 starters sitting and keep balance. 

10 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

Is Lander a threat on offense? I'm sure he was better this year, in his limited time, than last and all those airballs are etched in my memory, but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Lander would be over X or Phin.

I definitely don’t think he’d be an upgrade over Xavier. I’m higher on Xavier than most, it seems. He can be erratic and inconsistent but I think he has a lot of talent. Im not giving up on him because I think we need him if we want to make the tournament and make any noise.

I do think Lander would have done a better job handling the pressure last night than Rob did. I thought Lander did well handling pressure against St. John’s. Rob looked like he had never seen a press before. Whether that would’ve resulted in a net improvement over what Rob gave us, idk. 

1 hour ago, Five Prime said:

I'd start Phinisee.  At this point I'd take his defense and serviceable outside shooting over whatever Johnson brings 

Calling Phinisee's shooting serviceable is an insult to serviceable shooters.  Far too often he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.