Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - 01/13/22 @ 9:00 ET on FS1

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Honestly I’ve given up on Lander getting any playing time this season. Through six conference games he’s played as many minutes as I have. If he can’t get in the game when Phinisee’s playing as horrible as he did tonight, I doubt he ever will. 

He WILL transfer after this season. Bet on it.

1 hour ago, MoyeNeeded said:

He WILL transfer after this season. Bet on it.

Good for him. I don’t like seeing kids transfer, even if they’re not very good. But the upside is that it opens up a spot to bring in some much needed talent. 

Also, I don't like XJs game.  He's not smart with the basketball, reaches and fouls too much, doesnt stretch the floor, and doesn't hit fts at a high rate.  This is not the kind of starting pg that wins you games on the road or in tournaments.  

Honest question after yet another winnable game. Many of us, myself included, become frustrated with the same old things over the past two coaching spurts (CTC, CAM). I was hoping CMW would be a breath of fresh air from a roster management perspective, yet from my couch-coaching perspective, I'm totally perplexed. Crazy lineups giving up large leads, repeated. At least 3 guys with repeated poor performances getting good playing time. At least one guy on the bench that plays harder and smarter than his peers yet gets limited playing time. If we don't see mid-season adjustments, we shouldn't expect any different results for the remainder of the season.

2 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

Honest question after yet another winnable game. Many of us, myself included, become frustrated with the same old things over the past two coaching spurts (CTC, CAM). I was hoping CMW would be a breath of fresh air from a roster management perspective, yet from my couch-coaching perspective, I'm totally perplexed. Crazy lineups giving up large leads, repeated. At least 3 guys with repeated poor performances getting good playing time. At least one guy on the bench that plays harder and smarter than his peers yet gets limited playing time. If we don't see mid-season adjustments, we shouldn't expect any different results for the remainder of the season.

Frankly, we should've seen adjustments by now.  Don't expect any to happen.

12 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Also, I don't like XJs game.  He's not smart with the basketball, reaches and fouls too much, doesnt stretch the floor, and doesn't hit fts at a high rate.  This is not the kind of starting pg that wins you games on the road or in tournaments.  

I 100% agree!  Not to mention he allows the other to get in his head and frustrate him easy!  

5 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

Sounds like the definition of insanity, lol!

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Are you referring to Leal?  Just curious.  

I was talking about JG, who I think should start. He brings so, so much more to this team than the two guards in front of him, neither of whom are PGs. Also, I'd give Leal a shot, yes. RP and X aren't just inconsistent, they're one out of every five games sort of guys.

6 minutes ago, IU-DL said:

I was talking about JG, who I think should start. He brings so, so much more to this team than the two guards in front of him, neither of whom are PGs. Also, I'd give Leal a shot, yes. RP and X aren't just inconsistent, they're one out of every five games sort of guys.

I'd start Phinisee.  At this point I'd take his defense and serviceable outside shooting over whatever Johnson brings 

Let's make sure we keep some perspective.

I hate to see them play poorly and lose just as much as anyone else, but the fact is that this season is that play in football when the defense jumps and you get a free play and the ultimate outcome is less important than we might feel like right now.  Remember, Scott pulled the trigger on AM a full year ahead of what anyone thought would happen. The coaching trio comes in and immediately retains TJD for a season, gets some transfers that can shoot better and then recruits very very well out of the gate.  Yes, our guard play sucks but we have guards coming in.

If not for Scott's stones we would all now be watching AM in his last season with no TJD, no shooters and no recruits coming. We would have won four games by now and next year we would be watching what we are now...at best.

This year is a freebie.

6 minutes ago, CS2 said:

I hate to see them play poorly and lose just as much as anyone else, but the fact is that this season is that play in football when the defense jumps and you get a free play and the ultimate outcome is less important than we might feel like right now.  Remember, Scott pulled the trigger on AM a full year ahead of what anyone thought would happen. The coaching trio comes in and immediately retains TJD for a season, gets some transfers that can shoot better and then recruits very very well out of the gate.  Yes, our guard play sucks but we have guards coming in.

If not for Scott's stones we would all now be watching AM in his last season with no TJD, no shooters and no recruits coming. We would have won four games by now and next year we would be watching what we are now...at best.

This year is a freebie.

A "freebie" year with a 1st team all American is hard to rationalize.  

8 minutes ago, CS2 said:

This year is a freebie.

Woodson isn't to blame for the roster in full.  Though there was a time in the first half when IU had an 8-9 point lead.  Then he put in a lineup that included Durr, Galloway, Phinisee, Bates, and Kopp I believe.  Terrible lineup frankly and Iowa tied it within a few minutes.  Those are the sort of situations that make you scratch your head.  

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

When you can predict the ups and downs, because of bad basketball, it’s less of a roller coaster. I’ll be here cheering them on and hoping for the best while calling out bad basketball. I know some won’t like that but they’ll have to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Who is even arguing and group thinking against bad basketball? Show me one post that said they played good basketball. You’re just shaking your fist at the sky for no reason. 

20 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

A "freebie" year with a 1st team all American is hard to rationalize.  

And yet we can.

I understand the frustration but the first team AA was gone until MW showed up.  TJD cannot do it himself when he has two guys hanging all over him.  We lost because we couldn't break 2 2 1, 1 2 2 and M2M presses.  MUCH better guard play is coming which is something else we would not have right now had Scott not pulled the trigger when he did.