Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Iowa - 01/13/22 @ 9:00 ET on FS1

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

He might be doing better if Kopp and Stewart were shooting more as well.  I thought Parker was hitting just fine tonight but there were several times he passed up decent looks.

And one thing thing you know CAN'T happen when you take a shot is you don't turn it over. 

Unless you are Phinisee and your shot is as good as a turdover 

13 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I think the complaints about lack of effort largely stem from the fact that it's more reassuring to think guys just aren't trying hard enough and can do better instead of the realization that they just aren't good enough. 

I’d argue mental toughness is the problem over lack of effort every day of the week.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I remember the off-season when we had that hype about our incoming players. That hype train is always fun until we can say they’re just not good enough. Rinse and repeat, IU basketball! JHS is going to be that point we haven’t had since IT!!

How many IU players did Fran go after? How many Iowa players did we go after? Who are we taking between the rosters in a draft?

Same goes for PSU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That said......the players we added we were counting on -- Kopp, Stewart, X -- all played on schools worse than Iowa.  I think we do tend to overrate our own players.  Think every fan does that with their team.

Penn State though?  Ugh.

14 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

Maybe no other coach wanted to come here? We probably wouldn't have been able to attract a name you would want because we are so far removed from a winning culture. Making a hire that was worse than what we had (Miller for Crean) is what killed any momentum the good Crean years got us. We have to start having post season successes again to make the job what it should be.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe not. But if the common narrative is to be believed, it was Brad Stevens #1, Mike Woodson #2. Who knows if that’s actually true. Woody seems like a guy who players like, a good camaraderie guy. But he was mediocre as a head coach in the NBA, he was fired by two different teams in a four year span, and he didn’t get another head coaching job for almost a decade before we hired him. Just wasn’t a “we’re putting college basketball on notice” type hire. He’s not looking like the kind of coach who can win with mediocre talent, and he isn’t recruiting well enough to win with mediocre coaching. I shutter when i think about the TJD-sized hole we’ll have next year. 

This team only looks marginally different from what we saw the previous four years, and on a night like tonight it didn’t look different at all. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Still don’t get why you are so hung up on whether it’s effort or execution.  They are both Woodsons job to fix and it ain’t happening 

It is.  I just don't know why anytime we are playing bad you want to chalk it up to effort.  Whatevs.

I’d argue mental toughness is the problem over lack of effort every day of the week.

Toughness, mental and physical, is a huge issue. It’s been that way for awhile. I was hoping the team would fight for their coach after little franimal went after Woody at half.

That said......the players we added we were counting on -- Kopp, Stewart, X -- all played on schools worse than Iowa.  I think we do tend to overrate our own players.  Think every fan does that with their team.
Penn State though?  Ugh.

We’re having a breakthrough here. We pumped them up. We tried putting a little masking tape on a ship with a hole the size of a VW bug. We painted a pretty picture on it and told everyone it was as good as new. It’s now sinking and some are surprised.

Kopp and P Stew are one trick players. We’re counting on them to be complete players with leadership.

The funny thing is the PC Sim thread I posted pretty much called what was going to happen.  I had said in that thread that it was going to be hard for IU to get as many shots up as Iowa because of the turnover issue and that it would be hard for IU to hold a lead because it was difficult to get many consecutive stop against Iowa because they shoot well, don't turn the ball over, and hit their free throws.  Said I thought in order for IU to win, they were going to have to win the battle of the boards.  In the end, Iowa got off 10 more shots than IU and IU was -8 from the line despite only having 4 less free throws.

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

The funny thing was prior to playing Iowa -- after wins over Ohio State and Minnesota -- people seemed to be at least a little bit happy around here.

Until IU is a consistent  protected seed this place will never be happy.  Just goes with the territory of an IU message board 

3 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

The funny thing was prior to playing Iowa -- after wins over Ohio State and Minnesota -- people seemed to be at least a little bit happy around here.

I predict we will be happier after the NE game, devastated after PU and then irrationally happy after home games vs UM and PSU.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

We’re having a breakthrough here. We pumped them up. We tried putting a little masking tape on a ship with a hole the size of a VW bug. We painted a pretty picture on it and told everyone it was as good as new. It’s now sinking and some are surprised.

Kopp and P Stew are one trick players. We’re counting on them to be complete players with leadership.

Which is why we are going to be up and down all season.  If you don't enjoy rollercoasters, might want to get off.

3 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I predict we will be happier after the NE game, devastated after PU and then irrationally happy after home games vs UM and PSU.

I predict the board will melt down if we lose at Nebraska.  A win won't move the needle either way.

I'm in for the long haul either way.