Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Wouldn't THAT be a nice thing to happen !!

But Woody doesn't want to call 15-20 pts a blowout, so it probably needs to be 20+. (but I'm still hoping Leal does get a lot more minutes. He deserves a good shot.)

To be fair, 15-20 points wasn't a blowout with this past season's team. Even when they were up by that much the other teams still had a chance. Hopefully next year's team will have developed a killer instinct that has been missing.

To be fair, 15-20 points wasn't a blowout with this past season's team. Even when they were up by that much the other teams still had a chance. Hopefully next year's team will have developed a killer instinct that has been missing.

I’d have to look back but I don’t think we had a blowout conference win against anyone. Every game felt like a nailbiter except to 2 or 3 blowout losses. We couldnt close or extend leads worth a hoot.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

51 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’d have to look back but I don’t think we had a blowout conference win against anyone. Every game felt like a nailbiter except to 2 or 3 blowout losses. We couldnt close or extend leads worth a hoot.

I think we beat OSU by 13 or 15 points at home 

58 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Penn State at home was a beatdown 

On 5/22/2022 at 12:50 PM, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The frontcourt definitely wasn’t the issue. Race/Trayce combined for 60 mpg last year, which leaves around 20 mpg for a backup frontcourt player. Race wore down at the end of last year, so maybe Woody tries to play him a few fewer mpg next season. I’d like for Reneau to be good enough to get a large bulk of those minutes, and I expect him to be good enough. He’s ranked/rated in between where Thomas Bryant and TJD were as high school seniors. Both of those guys were good enough as freshmen to be 20 mpg guys on quality teams. I think Reneau will be too. 

7 of those 20 mpg were played by Michael Durr last year, so I am pretty confident we are going to get better play for at least 7 of the 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We had 6 double digit wins in conference:  at home against Nebraska by 13, at home against Ohio State by 16, at home against Minnesota by 13, at home against Penn State by 17, at Maryland by 13, and at home against Maryland by 10.

In terms of losses, we had four double digit losses:  at home against Michigan by 18, at home against Illinois by 17, at Michigan State by 15, at Ohio State by 11....but that was in OT.

Overall, IU outscored their opponents by 1 point in Big Ten regular season play.  Our numbers said we were a 10-10 team and our record was 9-11.

With the roster being set, this will probably be the last post for awhile as the summer months is when things quiet down...unless a recruit commits. 

Trayce is going to be a preseason All-American/favorite for B1G player of the year. He clearly got overshadowed this year by a lot of players in the B1G. I expect probably the best season an IU player has had since Vic or Cody.

Both Xavier and Race here honorable mention All-Big Ten players. Can they become all league guys? I think in order to have a very good team you need one guy who is one of the best players in the country and another two who are the best in their league. I don't think it's a reach to see both guys make the 2nd/3rd team All-Big. 

The trio of Bates, Galloway, and Geronimo is going to really tell a lot about this team. Bates had a "disappointing" season if you base it off his top 30 ranking. However, he was ranked around 50-60 for most of his prep career. He really did show a lot of promise. Galloway has to develop some type of 3 point shot. Dude needs to get 500 shots up a day at Cook Hall. I can see him being an all-league bench player. Geronimo has to do what it takes to be able to play the 3. I think he's one of IU's best 5 players. Question is will he start? IMO the #1 question surrounding this team right now. 

Not sure what kind of role Miller Kopp will have. Trayce said in his Hysterics interview he could see him shooting 40% or more from 3. I just don't think he can play 25 minutes a game if he's not shooting/scoring. He's the biggest wild card IMO. However, I think the starting job is his if nobody can take it from him (which could be good/bad depending on how you look at it). 

The biggest topic of the off-season is if Jalen will start right away. Based on what I've read I think so. He fills a huge need and you can play two 1's at once. Not sure he has a B1G FOY kind of season but I can see him being the 4th/5th best player in his first year (kind of like Yogi). Trayce coming back most certainly decreases Malik's role in year one. I think we will be looking back in a year (thinking OG his first year) and thinking he didn't play as much. But with Trayce/Race I don't see him getting more than 15 minutes a game. I don't expect much out of Banks/Gunn. In fact, it might be a good idea to redshirt one of them. 

Leal is wildcard #2. I can see him getting minutes if he can consistently knock down the shot. This team needs somebody to fill a role like Zeisloft/Roth did for IU. I can see it being him. I don't see Logan making much of an impact once again. But, I can see him contributing as a Jr/Sr. Unfortunately outside of the seniors I'd put him at the top of the list as guys that I think will be gone next year. We will see what happens. 

B1G wise there is zero reason IU can't compete. With an unbalanced schedule I can't say that they HAVE to win the B1G. I expect a top 3-4 finish. The conference is going to be really down this next year. Right now Michigan is the only other team that looks good and even they might lose some guys. 

Nationally I can't have IU in the top 10. This team was a 12 seed for a reason last year. If not for a second half comeback against Michigan they are an NIT team. I think top 15-20 is reasonable. For this team to compete for a national title somebody has to be that knock down shooter. Still, I'm excited for this season. I can't stand Hoosier Hysteria but I might even go this year. Can't wait for the tough non-conference schedule. Even if IU wins 1 of the 3 big games, it's still a good test early in the year. I hope all Hoosier fans have a great summer! Hope they get a big name to add to the '23 class! 

We had 6 double digit wins in conference:  at home against Nebraska by 13, at home against Ohio State by 16, at home against Minnesota by 13, at home against Penn State by 17, at Maryland by 13, and at home against Maryland by 10.
In terms of losses, we had four double digit losses:  at home against Michigan by 18, at home against Illinois by 17, at Michigan State by 15, at Ohio State by 11....but that was in OT.
Overall, IU outscored their opponents by 1 point in Big Ten regular season play.  Our numbers said we were a 10-10 team and our record was 9-11.

Thanks. That OSU win was a great one. I don’t know what number represents a blowout to me but Even these wins didn’t have that feel to me. The Michigan loss at home felt like a blowout. Let’s get a couple 20+ point wins this season.

8 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

He's the biggest wild card IMO. However, I think the starting job is his if nobody can take it from him (which could be good/bad depending on how you look at it). 

I agree. Good or bad depending upon how much everyone improves in the off season. If Miller Kopp is shooting 40% from 3-point range as TJD predicts while Galloway shoots better from outside and Geronimo demonstrates he can play the 3 as well as the 4, this IU team could be really good next season. If none of those things happen, it could be a disappointing year.

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Thanks. That OSU win was a great one. I don’t know what number represents a blowout to me but Even these wins didn’t have that feel to me. The Michigan loss at home felt like a blowout. Let’s get a couple 20+ point wins this season.

I would say the Ohio State and Penn State home wins felt like blowouts and the Michigan home loss felt like a blowout.  There were others that were solidly won or lost. IU seemed to have wide swings in games — in both directions.  Hard to forget the Minnesota road win where IU held on.  Part of that was bad defense, part was stupid luck.

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Welcome to Bloomington.

All incoming basketball and football players are staying at Willkie for the summer so might be a good place to hang out if you are in Bloomington or your kids want an autograph. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

For the "idk how we'll be improved with the same players" crowd

Thanks for sharing.

While it's pretty obvious to most that returning personnel is bigly important, I wonder what the % of minutes were, and how many were starters (to compare to our 4 starters and % of minutes).

It would also be interesting to see what their recruit ranks were. 

19 hours ago, Southside said:

Thanks for sharing.

While it's pretty obvious to most that returning personnel is bigly important, I wonder what the % of minutes were, and how many were starters (to compare to our 4 starters and % of minutes).

It would also be interesting to see what their recruit ranks were. 

I always find it interesting what they define a 'starter' to be.  Duke had six players that started at least 25 games;  three started 39 games, the others started 25, 26, and 27 games.  Those bottom three all averaged at least 24 minutes per game.

Anyway, if you simply go by the number of games started, Duke had:

Pablo Banchero -- freshman so not a part of the program the year before.

Wendall Moore -- averaged 28 minutes per game and started 18 of Duke's 24 games the previous year.

Mark Williams -- averaged 15 minutes per game but did start 15 games the previous year.

Jeremy Roach -- averaged 27 minute per game the year before and started 18 of their 24 games.

Trevor Keels -- freshman so not a part of the program the year before..

(even if you replace Keels with Griffin, who started one less game, you are still putting in a freshman.

So Duke only had 3 of the 5 starters on the previous team;  those three were all starters (although Williams didn't get starter's minutes) but they only accounted for 70 minutes per game of action the previous year.

------------------------------

North Carolina:

Armando Bacot:  started 28 of UNC's 29 games the year before, averaged 23 minutes

Caleb Love:  started 26 games the year before, averaged 28 minutes

Brady Manek:  was at Oklahoma the previous year

R.J. Davis:  started 10 out of 29 games the previous year, averaged 22 minutes per game

Leaky Black:  started 28 games the year before, averaged 28 minutes.

So four of the five were on UNC the year before;  three were starters.  they totalled 101 minutes, so they basically played half of the minutes the previous year.

Villanova

Collin Gillespie:  started 20 games the previous year, averaged 33 minutes

Justin Moore:  started 24 games the previous year, averaged 33 minutes

Jermaine Samuels:  started 24 games the previous year, averaged 29 minutes

Eric Dixon:  no starts the previous year, averaged 8 minutes per game

Brandon Slater:  only 2 starts, averaged 17 minutes per game.

So all five were in the program the previous year, three were starters, and they played 120 minutes per the game the year before (60% of the minutes.

---------------------

Kansas:

Ochai Agbaji:  started 30 games previously, averaged 34 minutes

Christain Braun:  started 30 games previously, averaged 31 minutes

David McCormack:  started 21 games, averaged 28 minutes

Jalen Wilson:  started 27 games, averaged 28 minutes

Dajuan Harris:  started just 2 games, averaged 16 minutes.

Four were starters;  they averaged 137 minutes (68.5% of the minutes.

-----------------

Will look at their rankings later.

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I always find it interesting what they define a 'starter' to be.  Duke had six players that started at least 25 games;  three started 39 games, the others started 25, 26, and 27 games.  Those bottom three all averaged at least 24 minutes per game.

Anyway, if you simply go by the number of games started, Duke had:

Pablo Banchero -- freshman so not a part of the program the year before.

Wendall Moore -- averaged 28 minutes per game and started 18 of Duke's 24 games the previous year.

Mark Williams -- averaged 15 minutes per game but did start 15 games the previous year.

Jeremy Roach -- averaged 27 minute per game the year before and started 18 of their 24 games.

Trevor Keels -- freshman so not a part of the program the year before..

(even if you replace Keels with Griffin, who started one less game, you are still putting in a freshman.

So Duke only had 3 of the 5 starters on the previous team;  those three were all starters (although Williams didn't get starter's minutes) but they only accounted for 70 minutes per game of action the previous year.

North Carolina:

Armando Bacot:  started 28 of UNC's 29 games the year before, averaged 23 minutes

Caleb Love:  started 26 games the year before, averaged 28 minutes

Brady Manek:  was at Oklahoma the previous year

R.J. Davis:  started 10 out of 29 games the previous year, averaged 22 minutes per game

Leaky Black:  started 28 games the year before, averaged 28 minutes.

So four of the five were on UNC the year before;  three were starters.  they totalled 101 minutes, so they basically played half of the minutes the previous year.

Villanova

Collin Gillespie:  started 20 games the previous year, averaged 33 minutes

Justin Moore:  started 24 games the previous year, averaged 33 minutes

Jermaine Samuels:  started 24 games the previous year, averaged 29 minutes

Eric Dixon:  no starts the previous year, averaged 8 minutes per game

Brandon Slater:  only 2 starts, averaged 17 minutes per game.

So all five were in the program the previous year, three were starters, and they played 120 minutes per the game the year before (60% of the minutes.

---------------------

Kansas:

Ochai Agbaji:  started 30 games previously, averaged 34 minutes

Christain Braun:  started 30 games previously, averaged 31 minutes

David McCormack:  started 21 games, averaged 28 minutes

Jalen Wilson:  started 27 games, averaged 28 minutes

Dajuan Harris:  started just 2 games, averaged 16 minutes.

Four were starters;  they averaged 137 minutes (68.5% of the minutes.

-----------------

Will look at their rankings later.

You sir, rock!