Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

I'm going to leave it at this and then do my best to stay out of any JG debates the rest of the offseason. 

I hope he makes a leap this offseason. He has a lot to work on, but also a lot of potential.

I think Race wore down at the end of last season, so JG improving so that Woodson can better balance their minutes ( say something like 60/40) so Race stays fresh and JG can grow would be great for the team, program and both Race and JG. 

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm going to leave it at this and then do my best to stay out of any JG debates the rest of the offseason. 

I hope he makes a leap this offseason. He has a lot to work on, but also a lot of potential.

I think Race wore down at the end of last season, so JG improving so that Woodson can better balance their minutes ( say something like 60/40) so Race stays fresh and JG can grow would be great for the team, program and both Race and JG. 

Agree with everything in your post except for the part about you staying out of debates.

Two smart posters with a disagreement is good stuff!

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s all about the potential.

No one is hyping Gallo or Race because while they are good, they are all but finished products.

Race does so many things well that he’s virtually guaranteed PT of some amount. 

Trey and Jordan are both in a race to develop a 3 point shot. Because that will get them PT 

The discussion about who starts is fun and how it plays out will tell us a lot about who has put in the work. But more intriguing to me is how our added depth will help us play through the inevitable injuries. We actually have the pieces to play through injuries that in years past would have cost us games. I'm really looking forward to that.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

It’s all about the potential.

No one is hyping Gallo or Race because while they are good, they are all but finished products.

Exactly. 
Race as a soph averaged under 4 PPG. But the development into his junior season was there to see.

JG as a soph averaged over 4 PPG, just over 12 MPG. But the development heading into his junior season couldn’t be more clear. He played plus 20 in MM and was easily one of the top 5. Denying that I simply don’t get. The kid is clearly the best or second best rebounder, and shot blocker, and his outside shot, which ended up at 31 percent, is smooth. Can see it getting to 35 maybe better - and of course that depends on his continuing development, but that development is on the path right now.

And this isn’t about whether he plays the wing or 4 (imo Bates can take over the key minutes on the wing if he continues along with his growth and improves his D). It’s about what JG’s upside is for the team. Race is almost certain to start imo, he is at or about his ceiling (maybe he’ll raise his outside shot), he’s a savvy vet, a workhorse, and a good defender.

JG will probably start the year coming in either for Race, or at the 4 with Race sliding to a small ball 5 (lots of potential there), but if he develops the handle he will be able to play wing as well, that’s his real future just as it was for OG.

Regardless, he’s going to play a hell of a lot more than 12 MPG, probably 18-22, his numbers are going to jump across the board, just as Race’s did junior-senior seasons. And we will be better for it

3 minutes ago, cthomas said:

The discussion about who starts is fun and it plays out will tell us a lot about who has put in the work. But more intriguing to me is how our added depth will help us play through the inevitable injuries. We actually have the pieces play through injuries that in years past would have cost us games. I'm really looking forward to that.

Probably the deepest team in over 30 years!

9 minutes ago, cthomas said:

The discussion about who starts is fun and how it plays out will tell us a lot about who has put in the work. But more intriguing to me is how our added depth will help us play through the inevitable injuries. We actually have the pieces to play through injuries that in years past would have cost us games. I'm really looking forward to that.

We have the depth now I feel that Woodson can let guys play with foul trouble and if they get another we won’t be seriously hosed. 

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The Wat-Hulls-Yogi-Cody et al team was special, this is the first time we’ve looked like a team like that since to me

That was definitely the last team with this kind of expectation and hype, but that team was nearly as deep as this team

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The Wat-Hulls-Yogi-Cody et al team was special, this is the first time we’ve looked like a team like that since to me

The difference being that we have size at positions that we didn't with that team. Granted that team had more shooting. I think this one has a very high ceiling.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I get what you’re saying. There’s a lot of guys that had a promising trajectory but then didn’t make that leap. It’s certainly possible he stays the same, but he’s as good of a candidate as we have. 

In reality if guys like Race, TJD and/or X make some small incremental progress like most upperclassman do, and then one of Galloway, Bates, or Geronimo make that leap into good 4th starter plus we get one of the fab frosh to live  up to their billing, we are in great position. 

All of our eggs aren’t necessarily in the Geronimo basket. In poker parlance, we have a lot of outs to improve where we need to. I think the smart money is on Geronimo though because he seemed so close at the end of the season and his ceiling is so high. 

6 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Geronimo was one of our most efficient players last year.  He just needs playing time.  There was already significant improvement in his game over the course of last season.  

His problem is that currently he plays the same position that our two best players are able to play. Besides he’s not going to get to the NBA playing the 4 in college it’s in his and our interest to teach him how to be a wing. Even if there’s growing pains. 

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

The difference being that we have size at positions that we didn't with that team. Granted that team had more shooting. I think this one has a very high ceiling.

Stoked to see how it pans out, def a high ceiling coming into this season 

42 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Geronimo was one of our most efficient players last year.  He just needs playing time.  There was already significant improvement in his game over the course of last season.  

The problem for him is that the increased playing time is only coming for him if he can play on the perimeter. He could only get 13 mpg last year with really no competition for the backup 4 spot. Now he’s got Reneau to compete with, who is rated higher than Trayce was in high school (who averaged 14/8 as a freshman). 

48 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

His problem is that currently he plays the same position that our two best players are able to play. Besides he’s not going to get to the NBA playing the 4 in college it’s in his and our interest to teach him how to be a wing. Even if there’s growing pains. 

This is what I see as well. Geronimo's clear path in college may be a combo forward that plays inside out but in the NBA he should be a pure 3&D wing. He needs to get mich better defensively on the perimeter and develop ball handling skills. Either way I hope he can improve enough outside to get solid wing minutes.