Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Race and Malik are both small ball 5s.

I expect them to be TJD’s relief pitchers for ten mpg.

Yep one thing that I think will be really valuable is Malik can shoot from distance. Maybe not well enough to write home about but having both bigs being able to at least threaten the 3 ball will be such a such different thing to defend. Hopefully we have different plays we go to when Trayce isn’t in to really take advantage. 

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Now thinking even further ahead.

we replace X, TJD, Race, Kopp at minimum correct?  So 4 plus recruiting spots guaranteed to be open? I realize TJD could come back but.   

nice big class building. I’d like to get 2 bigs and a shooter or a great big and a shooter.  Seems the staff does too.  

How about Cupps, Newton,  Evans & Booker?!

I know he brought in Kopp & Durr last year from the portal, but it feels like the staff is more interested in building with Freshmen- am I wrong?  

26 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

How about Cupps, Newton,  Evans & Booker?!

I know he brought in Kopp & Durr last year from the portal, but it feels like the staff is more interested in building with Freshmen- am I wrong?  

You're not. Kenya even said as much in a recent interview.

Shoot me, but I don’t want Race starting at the 4.  I love his effort, but we’ve seen this movie before and it doesn’t work well for our offense and he gets beat by smaller 4s on the perimeter.

My preferred starting 5

X - the X of the last 10 games is needed for all of them

JHS - I’ve seen enough to believe he can’t be kept off the floor

Kopp - I’m selling myself on the fact with 2 PG types who can beat their man and drive, Kopp can be free to spot up for the open 3.  If not, give me JG at the 3.

I prefer JG starting at the 4.  I think overall he brings more than Race with far more potential.  If he’s at the 3, I wanna see Malik which I’m sure people will question.    Probably my bias against Race on the floor with TJD at the same time.

TJD - nothing needs to be said.

I want Bates to be in the discussion at the 2/3 but honestly he’s shown very little to warrant that.  I love Galloway but unless he develops more offense, particularly a consistent jump shot. He’s a bench spark plug that can play 1-3. Leal, Duncomb, Gunn, and probably Banks imo won’t see the floor after December non Conf blowouts.  

Edited by 94Bulldog

6 hours ago, DWB said:

I'll be surpised if the freshman get a ton of minutes. Not Woody's style, nor was it RMK's, unless you have a Zeek, or a Yogi. 

I’ve read others also post the sentiment that RMK didn’t give freshmen, aside from Zeke,  minutes (Yogi was Crean). I have no idea why people think that was how RMK operated as he actually frequently played freshmen 20 or minutes per game if they were talented. A partial list of freshman that played 20 or more includes Ray Tolbert, Neil Reed, Andre Patterson, Jay Edwards, Damon Bailey, Calbert, Alan Henderson. Luke Recker, Jason Collier, Greg Graham, Kent Benson, Quinn Buckner, Randy Wittman, Mike Woodson (33 mpg as a. freshman for Woody), Steve Alford, Lyndon Jones, Rick Calloway, Marty Simmons, Kirk Haston, AJ Guyton, Eric Anderson, Steve Bouchie, Michael Lewis, etc etc.

In addition a bunch of other freshmen, including Delray Brooks, Matt Nover, Chris Lawson, Dane Fife, Charlie Miller, Chris Reynolds, Butch Carter, Wilkerson, Landon Turner, Steve Risley, Glen Grunwald, Uwe Blab, etc etc played at least 15 minutes a game as freshmen.

I certainly hope Woody gives the freshmen minutes if they earn the playing time.

3 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I certainly hope Woody gives the freshmen minutes if they earn the playing time.

Oh, I think he will IF they earn it. I think some (not all) high rated recruits "expect" playing time, even starting in some cases. But they have never played at this pace and against competition this good. Most are in for a rude awakening. Scoop is a prime example. Everybody thought he was going to soar right out of the blocks. He didn't. He's talented, athletic, and yet couldn't get over the hump to increase minutes as the year progressed.

The point I was trying to make (and I guess didn't do it so well) is that many posters here think JHS and some others will start or get starter's minutes. I just don't think it's a slam dunk (forgive the pun)

This offseason will be fun with projecting the lineup. To me, the only given spots are X, Race, and Trayce. At the 2, I think it is between JHS and Tamar. For the 3 I think it's between Kopp, Geronimo, and Tamar. Trayce's return (which really isn't surprising) hurts the minutes of Malik and Banks for 22-23. In fact, it might not be a bad idea to redshirt Banks IF and only if he's not going to see significant minutes off the bench. I think he's a high end talent and I don't want to waste a year of his eligibility.  Not sure how he sees the floor unless injuries hit. So since we know the roster for 22-23 here is my first pick at the rotation

Starters

X

JHS

Geronimo

Race

Trayce

Bench

Tamar (6th man), Galloway, Kopp, Reneau (no order between 7-9), Banks (10)

I have to think Geronimo is one of the 5 best players on this team. Therefore I think he wins the 3 spot. JHS really impressed me while watching him this year. I think he is a day one starter. I also like the idea of starting two guys who can run the point. Tamar ends up as the 6th man. Not the biggest Kopp fan but he is going to play. In fact, he probably is on the 1st team to start workouts/practice. Unless someone takes it from him, it's his. 

8 hours ago, 94Bulldog said:

Shoot me, but I don’t want Race starting at the 4.  I love his effort, but we’ve seen this movie before and it doesn’t work well for our offense and he gets beat by smaller 4s on the perimeter.

My preferred starting 5

Kopp - I’m selling myself on the fact with 2 PG types who can beat their man and drive, Kopp can be free to spot up for the open 3.  If not, give me JG at the 3.

I prefer JG starting at the 4.  I think overall he brings more than Race with far more potential.  If he’s at the 3, I wanna see Malik which I’m sure people will question.    Probably my bias against Race on the floor with TJD at the same time.

I want Bates to be in the discussion at the 2/3 but honestly he’s shown very little to warrant that.  I love Galloway but unless he develops more offense, particularly a consistent jump shot. He’s a bench spark plug that can play 1-3. Leal, Duncomb, Gunn, and probably Banks imo won’t see the floor after December non Conf blowouts.  

I think we’ll be seeing this lineup regardless of starters. I love the upside of TJD, JG, X and JHS, and can see Kopp having more impact with that 2 on ball group. It’s up to Bates to take that real frosh to soph step, i think he will, if he does that lineup with him is so explosive 

16 hours ago, 94Bulldog said:

Race was a starter on the best defense in the B1G so I don’t have too many worries about him on that end. On offense, he shot it from 3 as well as Kopp the last part of the season, so I expect that part of his game to continue to improve next year. He can help spread the floor a little. We’ll have a lot of depth regardless.

17 hours ago, 94Bulldog said:

My preferred starting 5

I like Jordan Geronimo, I'm glad he stayed and am excited to see his continued development next season. 

With that said, it's like "The legend of Jordan Geronimo" the way some fans are hyping him up. I get Race had a tough last week or 2 of the season, but I'm not sure how anyone can say JG brings more to the table at this point?

Race Thompson averaged 11ppg and 7.5rpg for a full season last year. Jordan Geronimo in two years has had one game in his career where he's done that and it was against Merrimack. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I like Jordan Geronimo, I'm glad he stayed and am excited to see his continued development next season. 

With that said, it's like "The legend of Jordan Geronimo" the way some fans are hyping him up. I get Race had a tough last week or 2 of the season, but I'm not sure how anyone can say JG brings more to the table at this point?

Race Thompson averaged 11ppg and 7.5rpg for a full season last year. Jordan Geronimo in two years has had one game in his career where he's done that and it was against Merrimack. 

I am readily perpetuating the legend of Jordan Geronimo, but certainly not instead of Race Thompson.

To win a title we need “difference makers,” and JG offers that like few others. He has just shown out like OG did at the end of OG’s freshman season. It’s not that he’s gotten there yet, but he’s shown what he can be, and he can dominate without scoring. That’s incredibly intriguing.

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Did it in the ncaa tournament…

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No problem with your second paragraph, but how in the world can you say you love JG and then be completely dismissive and misleading by referring to one game against Merrimack?? I mean, Gleas, that is such a totally misleading statement man.

The guy who you assess by pointing out one game against Merrimack with 11 and 7.5rpg, is the same guy whose minutes jumped to plus 20 at the end of last season in MM where he was clearly one of the best players on the team, right?

The same guy who, on a per 40 min and 100 possession basis for this season was:

- 4th in PPG at 13.8 / 20.3

- 1st per 40 at 11.3 - 16.6 per 100 (not counting Childress, Duncomb) -- and 4th on a total rebound basis at 121

- 2nd in blocks - 2.3 and 3.3

Why go out of your way to be dismissive about how impactful he is? If you think that Merrimack reference is how he'll do this season, I'm happy to set up a real money bet with you my friend.

And you left out 15 and 7 against Wyoming in the tourney...

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I am readily perpetuating the legend of Jordan Geronimo, but certainly not instead of Race Thompson.

To win a title we need “difference makers,” and JG offers that like few others. He has just shown out like OG did at the end of OG’s freshman season. It’s not that he’s gotten there yet, but he’s shown what he can be, and he can dominate without scoring. That’s incredibly intriguing.

Yeah, I'm not trying to be in a position to rain of JG's parade or position it that I don’t like him. He has good potential and his improvement absolutely helps the team. 

I'm also just not ready to anoint him a starting wing when he's never played the position or say he should be starting ahead of Race Thompson. 

I know JG had some strong moments the last 2 games, but at the same time he scored in double figures 4 times all season and they were pretty spread out, it wasn't like some run the last 2-3 weeks where everything clicked. 

From the New Year on he has as many 0 point games as he did double-digit games. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

No problem with your second paragraph, but how in the world can you say you love JG and then be completely dismissive and misleading by referring to one game against Merrimack?? I mean, Gleas, that is such a totally misleading statement man.

The guy who you assess by pointing out one game against Merrimack with 11 and 7.5rpg, is the same guy whose minutes jumped to plus 20 at the end of last season in MM where he was clearly one of the best players on the team, right?

The same guy who, on a per 40 min and 100 possession basis for this season was:

- 4th in PPG at 13.8 / 20.3

- 1st per 40 at 11.3 - 16.6 per 100 (not counting Childress, Duncomb) -- and 4th on a total rebound basis at 121

- 2nd in blocks - 2.3 and 3.3

Why go out of your way to be dismissive about how impactful he is? If you think that Merrimack reference is how he'll do this season, I'm happy to set up a real money bet with you my friend.

Stop it HH, I am not being misleading. That's ridiculous for you to say that, and I'm not going out of my way to be dismissive. 

JG has a lot of potential and his growth will be great for him, the team and the program. With that said, I'm also not going to overhype him on what was really a spotty, up and down season. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Stop it HH, I am not being misleading. That's ridiculous for you to say that, and I'm not going out of my way to be dismissive. 

JG has a lot of potential and his growth will be great for him, the team and the program. With that said, I'm also not going to overhype him on what was really a spotty, up and down season. 

No Gleas you're being totally misleading man. You left out his 15 and 7 in the tourney. You compare him to Race by saying he had one game where he did 11 and 7 and it was against Merrimack (which is wrong, not a technicality). You're disregarding that he didn't get into 20 min games until towards the end of this past season. The Merrimack reference is completely misleading.

Here's a thought, take a look at Race's soph year (2019-20)

PPG - 3.7

Boards - 3.9

And now you refer to him as having a spotty season? You again disregard that on a per 40 and per 100 poss basis he is one of the top 2-4 players on the team. Woodson during the tourney said he "discovered' him. Then he played him heavily, because he was playing as one of the best on team. Yes, you're being misleading.

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

No Gleas you're being totally misleading man. You left out his 15 and 7 in the tourney. You compare him to Race by saying he had one game where he did 11 and 7 and it was against Merrimack (which is wrong, not a technicality). You're disregarding that he didn't get into 20 min games until towards the end of this past season. The Merrimack reference is completely misleading.

Here's a thought, take a look at Race's soph year (2019-20)

PPG - 3.7

Boards - 3.9

And now you refer to him as having a spotty season? You again disregard that on a per 40 and per 100 poss basis he is one of the top 2-4 players on the team. Woodson during the tourney said he "discovered' him. Then he played him heavily, because he was playing as one of the best on team. Yes, you're being misleading.

I'm out, not gonna debate it like this. Enjoy!