Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

On 5/10/2022 at 10:09 PM, Tasmanian Devil said:

From my understanding, he’s a wing/3,

Don’t we have enough of those?  Kopp, Schifino, Bates, Gunn, Galloway, Leal at least could all be wings, IMO!  I forgot about JG.  We don’t need him, IMO

11 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Don’t we have enough of those?  Kopp, Schifino, Bates, Gunn, Galloway, Leal at least could all be wings, IMO!  I forgot about JG.  We don’t need him, IMO

FWIW, Hood-Schifino is not a wing/3. Gallo isn't really either - he played with the ball in his hands as the secondary ball-handler a lot last year. I also expect Tamar to be playing with the ball in his hands more this year. 

But Jordan and maybe Kaleb Banks are going to be wing/3s on offense a fair percentage of the time. 

On defense? We are looking to have guys that can match up and switch onto many positions, so that's not where the mystery lies - it'll never get clearly defined, even once the season starts.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

FWIW, Hood-Schifino is not a wing/3. Gallo isn't really either - he played with the ball in his hands as the secondary ball-handler a lot last year. I also expect Tamar to be playing with the ball in his hands more this year. 

But Jordan and maybe Kaleb Banks are going to be wing/3s on offense a fair percentage of the time. 

On defense? We are looking to have guys that can match up and switch onto many positions, so that's not where the mystery lies - it'll never get clearly defined, even once the season starts.

IMO, college basketball has moved to the point where a a lot of 3's are playing the 4 spot and some teams just play three guards and no real small forward.  The 'wing' position means different things to different teams.

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Well.. that's the thing. We don't NEED anyone. See my post on the previous page, we don't have THAT much to sell. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

IMO, college basketball has moved to the point where a a lot of 3's are playing the 4 spot and some teams just play three guards and no real small forward.  The 'wing' position means different things to different teams.

100% 

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

In the NBA the "3" and "2" are effectively the same position just on opposite sides of the floor.

College ball has been moving in that direction, along with the whole 'positionless' ball concept which is to bring in more versatile, mobile players who can cross-play, play outside, handle the ball some, shoot, and score inside. 

I don't get why people are worried about too many guards. 

2016 B1G Champs: Yogi, Robert Johnson, Troy, Hartman and Bryant for most of the season. 

2012: Yogi, Jordy, Vic, Watford and Zeller. 

2023: X, JHS, Bates, Race, TJD? Maybe. 

There shouldn't be a worry about too many guards ever. 

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agree! We've kind of touched on this a few weeks ago, but I don't really even subscribe to the old school point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward and center model. 

I think you have guards, wings and bigs. If you want to break it down further in the "guards" bucket you have point guards and combo guards and in the "bigs" bucket you have forwards and centers. 

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

2016 B1G Champs: Yogi, Robert Johnson, Troy, Hartman and Bryant for most of the season. 

Agree! I was at the St. Peter's-Purdue game and St. Peter's basically started 3 guards. 

You can never have too many creators and shot makers. 

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

And the 2016 team fell down when RoJo got hurt. We only had Yogi and NickZeis left as true guards, and had to use Harrison Niego for real minutes.

Now guards and wings with size and athleticism? That's when it gets good.

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Opinions on redshirting someone on the roster, and if so, who?  And, what are the chances that player would be receptive to the idea?

Gunn, Banks, and Duncomb. Any of those three should be receptive to the idea... will they be? Not sure. 

IMO Gunn absolutely needs to for his development, but also seperates himself more in years from Bates, JHS. 

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Opinions on redshirting someone on the roster, and if so, who?  And, what are the chances that player would be receptive to the idea?

CJ Gunn would probably be #1 on my list of RS candidates followed by Banks then Duncomb. I don't know enough about the players to make a guess at whether or not they'd be open to the idea.

Considering CMW's desire to get his own recruits in and the fact that everyone from Leal and Galloway's years on up have an extra COVID year i dont anticipation many redshirts. When considering redshirts also think about the fact that CMW wants five players in this 2023 recruiting class.

Also when thinking of CMW getting his own players in the system it's fair to consider Gunn not a CMW recruit. Gunn committed to Archie. CMW wasn't going to dump him. That's really bad PR.

It's difficult to project how good these freshmen will be. It's premature to suggest Gunn or Banks need a redshirt. Finally, Duncomb was apparently presented with the option to redshirt last year but chose not to. It would be surprising if he did so this year. With a strong summer he could be in line for more playing time. There's no Durr between him and more minutes at the 5 and there's no telling how any competition between him and Malik will shake out or how they may play different positions and complement each other.