Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

24 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That’s not a good exchange!  It is probably because of his  NIL potential.  I wish we would get a big that contributed at his previous school in exchange, if TJD doesn’t return 

i wish the very best for TJD, but I hope that is his return to the Hoosiers 

I think that there are very few available bigs that would be able to get minutes over Race/JG/Reneau/Duncomb. A guy like Dennis would at least be competing for minutes at a spot with the greatest uncertainty on the team.

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So it appears clear Dexter Dennis is waiting on TJD to make a decision?  This whole thing is interesting. 

Not according to one’s in the know.   Separate decisions.    Sounds like the Pack deal has more to do with Dennis decision then TJD staying or going 

38 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That’s not a good exchange!  It is probably because of his  NIL potential.  I wish we would get a big that contributed at his previous school in exchange, if TJD doesn’t return 

i wish the very best for TJD, but I hope that is his return to the Hoosiers 

Then again, the Big Ten just got a little smaller with Cockburn and Trevion Williams moving on.

If Dennis is waiting for TJD to decide and then commit to IU (big IF), then that likely pushes Geronimo to the 4 spot where he is more comfortable.  That isn't a bad thing.  The main thing pushing him to try and learn to play the 3 was finding a way to maximize his minutes on the court.  While Race playing the 5 might not seem ideal when guarding a guy like Zach Edey, I also could see Edey having a lot of trouble playing against an agile 5.

Interesting Podcast on the Brink observations from SI draft analyst Jeremy Woo. He has TJD in the 80's and says that Trayce has had three years to show that he could add elements to his game; not just merely become a better version of the same player.

Woo said that Trayce will have trouble showing a perimeter game at the combine: unlike at IU, offense will not be run specifically for him, and the combine tends to be very guard oriented on offense.

Finally, he said that the five on five games aren't the interesting part and that many of the top players at the combine won't participate in the five-on-fives. The stuff the NBA execs look for is to 'see who pops' during individual workouts. 

56 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Interesting Podcast on the Brink observations from SI draft analyst Jeremy Woo.

Woo says TJD could get a 2-way contract and play G League. But best case is he would be on an NBA team in 3 years. He's not very optimistic about Trayce's chances.

4 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Woo says TJD could get a 2-way contract and play G League. But best case is he would be on an NBA team in 3 years. He's not very optimistic about Trayce's chances.

So you're saying there's a chance IU has him for 2 more years. I'll take it! 

5 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

So you're saying there's a chance IU has him for 2 more years

Who knows what Trayce is thinking? Woo seems to think TJD won't be drafted but could wind up with some deal that would allow him to get to the NBA in 3 years. Nothing definite of course.

If TJD could even show consistent mid-range / elbow shooting he’d be an easy first rounder. Don’t see him being drafted now, but whether another year at IU or the G League or overseas makes the best sense for him is his own personal decision. Still, regardless of what this guy says or the outlook generally on seniors getting drafted, he could def come back and show steady shooting and seriously boost his shot at an NBA career, but that would require him to show shooting and step outside his comfort zone to do so

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Interesting Podcast on the Brink observations from SI draft analyst Jeremy Woo. He has TJD in the 80's and says that Trayce has had three years to show that he could add elements to his game; not just merely become a better version of the same player.

Woo said that Trayce will have trouble showing a perimeter game at the combine: unlike at IU, offense will not be run specifically for him, and the combine tends to be very guard oriented on offense.

Finally, he said that the five on five games aren't the interesting part and that many of the top players at the combine won't participate in the five-on-fives. The stuff the NBA execs look for is to 'see who pops' during individual workouts. 

Would be interesting to hear his take on Cockburn’s decision to leave Illinois.

If TJD were to leave and end up with a 2-way contract, he'd most likely play in the NBA next season and make 6-figures doing it. 

Sure, he'd also play in the G-League, but he'd be working in an NBA system with NBA level coaches (not saying Woodson isn't an NBA level coach, more alluding to the system and the rest of the staffs) and he'd get at least some time with the NBA club he's with to prove himself. 

I mean, Sam Hauser had a 2-way contract with the Celtics and played in 26 games for them and has been dressed for playoff games. 

Juwan Morgan was a 2-way player and started two playoff games that year for Utah. 

Is it an easy road? No. But most 2-way guys at least get a shot. It's an easier road than 20-30 years ago when there wasn't a G-League or 2-Way contracts. 

7 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Then again, the Big Ten just got a little smaller with Cockburn and Trevion Williams moving on.

If Dennis is waiting for TJD to decide and then commit to IU (big IF), then that likely pushes Geronimo to the 4 spot where he is more comfortable.  That isn't a bad thing.  The main thing pushing him to try and learn to play the 3 was finding a way to maximize his minutes on the court.  While Race playing the 5 might not seem ideal when guarding a guy like Zach Edey, I also could see Edey having a lot of trouble playing against an agile 5.

Thing is, how often do you even have to play against an Edey? Not very often.

A front court of Race, Jordan and Dennis is gonna win you a LOT of games. I’m still betting on TJD coming back, though. Just wondering if he does if that means a no on Dennis, or is there something that can be done to make room for him? 

Just now, BGleas said:

If TJD were to leave and end up with a 2-way contract, he'd most likely play in the NBA next season and make 6-figured doing it. 

Sure, he'd also play in the G-League, but he'd be working in an NBA system with NBA level coaches and he'd get at least some time with the NBA club he's with to prove himself. 

I mean, Sam Hauser had a 2-way contract with the Celtics and played in 26 games for them and has been dressed for playoff games. 

Juwan Morgan was a 2-way player and started two playoff games that year for Utah. 

Is it an easy road? No. But most 2-way guys at least get a shot. It's an easier road than 20-30 years ago when there wasn't a G-League or 2-Way contracts. 

True - but both of those guys had demonstrated they could shoot an outside jumper. Trayce never has.

1 minute ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

True - but both of those guys had demonstrated they could shoot an outside jumper. Trayce never has.

Those were just two examples. I'm sure I could go find examples of bigs that played in the NBA on a 2-way contract. 

Also, Morgan shot under 30% from 3 his senior year at IU and was never a consistent shooter in college. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:50 PM, BGleas said:

Those were just two examples. I'm sure I could go find examples of bigs that played in the NBA on a 2-way contract. 

Also, Morgan shot under 30% from 3 his senior year at IU and was never a consistent shooter in college. 

Again, true.

Juwan shot 30% from three? I had to look at stats to confirm, but I’d bet .03 % or less of all FG attempts by Trayce were from behind the arc. (EDIT: while bored waiting for a program to compile, I looked it up - for his Indiana CAREER Trayce has taken 3 three-point shots (all this past season) out of 1053 total FG attempts, meaning less than .003% of ALL shots he’s taken in an IU uniform have been behind the arc.)

You’ve had more experience working within the league, so I truly respect your opinion. But as athletic as Trayce is, he’s not his dad as a down-low banger. IMHO (which, admittedly, isn’t worth much) he has to show SOMETHING of a perimeter shot to have any long-term success in making it in the NBA.

Edited by Tasmanian Devil
Add stats

15 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Again, true.

Juwan shot 30% from three? I had to look at stats to confirm, but I’d bet .03 % or less of all FG attempts by Trayce were from behind the arc.

You’ve had more experience working within the league, so I truly respect your opinion. But as athletic as Trayce is, he’s not his dad as a down-low banger. IMHO (which, admittedly, isn’t worth much) he has to show SOMETHING of a perimeter shot to have any long-term success in making it in the NBA.

Don't get me wrong, I have no idea where he'll end up, it was just mentioned earlier that he'd most likely get 2-Way Contract and not play in the NBA for 3 years. 

I just meant that if he gets a 2-way contract he'd almost definitely play in the NBA next season. 

32 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Thing is, how often do you even have to play against an Edey? Not very often.

A front court of Race, Jordan and Dennis is gonna win you a LOT of games. I’m still betting on TJD coming back, though. Just wondering if he does if that means a no on Dennis, or is there something that can be done to make room for him? 

Isn’t Dennis a guard?  He’s not a front court player, correct?

Not according to one’s in the know.   Separate decisions.    Sounds like the Pack deal has more to do with Dennis decision then TJD staying or going 

Maybe, but 2+2=4. Indiana pushed hard for him. We have no available spots. Too late for transfer portal. If Dexter really wants Indiana but needs a roster spot, he’ll wait. Maybe, he’s playing NIL games but Indiana wouldn’t be involved as we only have a roster spot if TJD leaves. I think the staff was thinking of running a player off for Dennis and then changed their minds. The timing has been odd all along for Dennis. I think TJD returns and Dennis ends up elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

People are overestimating what we can "sell".... 

Humor me-- TB, TG make solid strides. Same with JG (simply finds a niche), Reneau is a solid FR, RT is himself. XJ is more the 2nd half of the year guy... JHS 24mpg 8ppg 3r 3a-- again humor me... 

There's not THAT many mins left.. most of that I don't believe is far fetched at all, likelihood it all happens.. not good. But still... the point being, we don't have a ton of auto court time for anyone BUT TJD imo. 

Opportunity for some PT, no doubt. Just by no means guarantee. I believe McNeil walks into a lot of mins at OSU for instance. 

Lastly, I think if those are truly our options for our last scholly: 1. TJD 2. Dennis 

I think we should be pretty good.