Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

13 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think that, understandably, there is a lot of PTSD in the fanbase. But Woody doesn't care about previous IU teams and coaching staffs that underachieved. He's not them.

We are adding two five stars. They will not revolutionize the team, but that is a very big deal.

Race and X coming back is a very big deal. A quality big and a quality high talent point guard, and almost guaranteed excellent team defense.

With or without Trayce we will be very good.

I think the excitement for the coming year would be a lot more enhanced if those two 5 stars were instate kids. jmo 

I also believe we understate what good coaching can accomplish in an off-season. I don't really see anyway we aren't Top 25 with or without TJD. 

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think that, understandably, there is a lot of PTSD in the fanbase. But Woody doesn't care about previous IU teams and coaching staffs that underachieved. He's not them.

We are adding two five stars. They will not revolutionize the team, but that is a very big deal.

Race and X coming back is a very big deal. A quality big and a quality high talent point guard, and almost guaranteed excellent team defense.

With or without Trayce we will be very good.

How I see it as well.

Can't really speak to/think about rankings this early, and not trying to get my own expectations too high given that there are still unknowns and we were a fair stretch away from being a top B1G team last season, but the moves made so far are setting us up well for having a more dynamic offensive team while retaining the top-of-B1G D.

We're not going to see a starting lineup with Kopp-Stew. We have a legit 5-star incoming combo/point-guard who already has a college body/strength. We have guys in JG and Bates who look very much poised to have big jumps in their games, and both bring strong 2-way play. Bates just scratched the surface, he could be really, really good this coming season. JG will be a 20-minute plus contributor now and will bring, minimally, top flight rebounding and blocks,  front-court D and added scoring, and, at least possibly, increased outside shooting and more athletic perimeter D. Galloway as a junior is going to be nightmare, imo, for opposing scorers. We have the potential for a high level p&r game. We're going to be better if TJD returns, hard to tell yet how we'll be if he doesn't, those would be big shoes to fill, but there's still a lot of firepower on this team with its new additions.

2 hours ago, Trish said:

My biggest concern is shooting still.  

I agree.

It will be huge if either Bates, TG, JG, or someone else, becomes a multi-dimensional offensive threat (including being able to open the floor by being consistent from the perimeter) next season.
Hopefully at least one of them can add being a perimeter threat to their game. Sometimes that happens and often times it doesn’t. If it doesn’t happen then one of our biggest issues last year, shooting, will continue to be a problem next season.

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think the excitement for the coming year would be a lot more enhanced if those two 5 stars were instate kids. jmo 

You are probably right as I don’t think there is another fan base as obsessed with in-state kids as IU basketball fans. I get it, as “its Indiana”, but I’m excited we are getting two 5 stars that haven’t expressed a drive to be one and dones and have hopefully opened a pipeline to one of the best basketball factories in the nation.
The talent at Montverde and IMG (hopefully the Bates connection helps us…he will need to earn playing time for that to happen) is unreal. In 2021 7 of the 35 top ranked kids in the US were from those two schools and it was 8 in 2022. Eight of the top 35 in the entire country playing at two high schools is crazy.

2 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Not sure about ranking, but W/O TJD I don't think IU is anywhere close to a top 25 team. They have some nice pieces, but I would expect it to look a lot like some recent vintage teams that didn't have many weapons. XJ, Kopp, Race and Jordan are all known quantities, and none are really "carry the team" type guys, IMO. We can certainly hope for a leap from Bates and whoever else, but how often does that actually happen? I'm not counting on a freshman, ANY freshman to come in a be a major, consistent contributor. So not buying hype on Hood &/or Reneau until I'm proven wrong. Race isn't a starting Center but even if he pulls it off, who backs him up? An undersized freshman? An inexperienced Sophomore? Who scores? The poor shooters we already have? Without TJD I see IU as very easy to guard, much easier to score against INSIDE and not really having an identity.....certainly on offense.  I understand other teams have pulled it off with similar type of (under-sized) rosters, BUT that is with some knock-down shooters I don't see here. With TJD IU is still flawed, but has a lot of potential if one or two things go right. Without him, they are very flawed and virtually everything has to go right. Consider me skeptical that happens. 

I hear what you're saying, but not sure about the comments on freshmen, especially JHS. I don't see why we wouldn't count on JHS as a contributor?

Outside of Kristian Lander, every 5* recruit IU has had over the last decade+ has been an immediate contributor/starter from day 1. 

Zeller

Yogi

Vonleh

JBJ

Bryant

Langford 

TJD

All 5*'s, several ranked right around where JHS is ranked and all immediate, day 1 starters and contributors. 

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying, but not sure about the comments on freshmen, especially JHS. I don't see why we wouldn't count on JHS as a contributor?

Outside of Kristian Lander, every 5* recruit IU has had over the last decade+ has been an immediate contributor/starter from day 1. 

Zeller

Yogi

Vonleh

JBJ

Bryant

Langford 

TJD

All 5*'s, several ranked right around where JHS is ranked and all immediate, day 1 starters and contributors. 

Absolutely on Hood-Schifino. The only reasons kids at that level don’t play immediately are physical or emotional immaturity or they just can’t defend. JHS has the body of a 30 yr old man. He’s incredibly mature. And he can defend. He walks in as a 25 min guy. Would be shocked otherwise.

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Zeller

Yogi

Vonleh

JBJ

Bryant

Langford 

TJD

I’ve said the same thing before and if you go back to 2000 throw in five stars Eric Gordon (to be fair he was the #1 guy in his class), Dj White and Romeo.  All the 5 stars, except Langford who might or might not have lost that status if he stayed in high school another year, contributed as freshman.  That is certainly no guarantee that JHS and Malik will contribute as freshmen but the odds of that happening are pretty good.

On a side note our 2 highest 4 stars in that timeframe were TJD and Bates. Obviously TJD had a very good freshman year and the jury is out in regards to Bates. It will be a game changer for IU if Bates plays the way we think/hope he can next season. We will see.

54 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Zeller

Yogi

Vonleh

JBJ

Bryant

Langford 

TJD

That is an encouraging perspective since I want to be wrong. As for high-level freshmen "contributing"  I guess the fact that several of those listed above were on mediocre teams diminishes their performance in my memory. 

54 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

That is an encouraging perspective since I want to be wrong. As for high-level freshmen "contributing"  I guess the fact that several of those listed above were on mediocre teams diminishes their performance in my memory. 

It's a mixed bag at worst probably. 

Zeller's freshmen year IU went to the Sweet Sixteen

Yogi's freshmen year IU won the Big Ten and went to the Sweet Sixteen

Vonleh's freshmen year team clearly wasn't very good

JBJ's freshmen year IU went to the tournament

Bryant's freshmen year IU won the Big Ten and went to the Sweet Sixteen 

Then you have Langford and TJD, though wasn't TJD the Covid year where IU would have made the tournament if it wasn't canceled?

So you have 5 tournament apperances (counting TJD's year), 3 Sweet Sixteen's, and two Big Ten Titles out of those 7 seasons. Given IU's recent history that's actually pretty good! 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's a mixed bag at worst probably. 

Zeller's freshmen year IU went to the Sweet Sixteen

Yogi's freshmen year IU won the Big Ten and went to the Sweet Sixteen

Vonleh's freshmen year team clearly wasn't very good

JBJ's freshmen year IU went to the tournament

Bryant's freshmen year IU won the Big Ten and went to the Sweet Sixteen 

Then you have Langford and TJD, though wasn't TJD the Covid year where IU would have made the tournament if it wasn't canceled?

So you have 5 tournament apperances (counting TJD's year), 3 Sweet Sixteen's, and two Big Ten Titles out of those 7 seasons. Given IU's recent history that's actually pretty good! 

And interestingly - the only two five stars whose additions resulted in mediocre years were the two highest rated five stars - Langford and Vonleh.

Maybe the takeaway is; don't count on even a top ten recruit to be the focal point of the team, but adding a five star to a veteran team is gold!

56 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And interestingly - the only two five stars whose additions resulted in mediocre years were the two highest rated five stars - Langford and Vonleh.

Maybe the takeaway is; don't count on even a top ten recruit to be the focal point of the team, but adding a five star to a veteran team is gold!

That and Langford suffered that hand injury. We'll never know just how good he could have been for IU without that injury, but yeah, that team he joined was flawed 

The depth of the roster, especially in the frontcourt if TJD stays, is going to be huge.  How many times last season did we see Race totally worn down at the end of the game?

It won't have to simply be the Trayce and Race show next season.  You can have Trayce give max effort for 30 minutes and Race max effort for 25.

Geronimo, Duncomb, and the freshmen will all be contributors off the bench.  I have to think Woodson has a plan for Duncomb, and has shared that with Logan, or he would not still be there.

In the backcourt, I still think you need X for 30 minutes a night as long as he stays out of foul trouble.  JHS and Bates for 20-25 minutes a night each.  I'm leaning towards both of them starting.

Galloway will need to score better to get more than 15-20 minutes a game.  Kopp may slip to 10-15 minutes depending on matchups and injuries. 

I think CJ Gunn will surprise, but could be caught in a minutes crunch.  Could be this team's Geronimo, the guy a lot of fans think should play more.  Leal is the guy who will play 30 when he's asked to play 30 and be just as supportive if he's not in the gameplan for that night.

Of course, I have no real idea how it will play out, and injuries can and will shake things up on a game to game basis.  But, I do know I am as excited as I have been in a long time about the direction of the team.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The depth of the roster, especially in the frontcourt if TJD stays, is going to be huge.  How many times last season did we see Race totally worn down at the end of the game?

It won't have to simply be the Trayce and Race show next season.  You can have Trayce give max effort for 30 minutes and Race max effort for 25.

Geronimo, Duncomb, and the freshmen will all be contributors off the bench.  I have to think Woodson has a plan for Duncomb, and has shared that with Logan, or he would not still be there.

In the backcourt, I still think you need X for 30 minutes a night as long as he stays out of foul trouble.  JHS and Bates for 20-25 minutes a night each.  I'm leaning towards both of them starting.

Galloway will need to score better to get more than 15-20 minutes a game.  Kopp may slip to 10-15 minutes depending on matchups and injuries. 

I think CJ Gunn will surprise, but could be caught in a minutes crunch.  Could be this team's Geronimo, the guy a lot of fans think should play more.  Leal is the guy who will play 30 when he's asked to play 30 and be just as supportive if he's not in the gameplan for that night.

Of course, I have no real idea how it will play out, and injuries can and will shake things up on a game to game basis.  But, I do know I am as excited as I have been in a long time about the direction of the team.

Excellent post. And great to see regular contributions from you 5fouls!

BTW, Gallo averaged 20.6 mpg last season with no jump shot. Woody clearly trusts him. I'd expect his minutes to stay at 20 or go up, not down. I think that JHS and Bates' (increased) minutes will come from Stewart and Phinisee's minutes, and JG's minutes increase will largely come from Kopp.

As stated, injuries will definitely adjust the minutes allotment too.

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Excellent post. And great to see regular contributions from you 5fouls!

BTW, Gallo averaged 20.6 mpg last season with no jump shot. Woody clearly trusts him. I'd expect his minutes to stay at 20 or go up, not down. I think that JHS and Bates' (increased) minutes will come from Stewart and Phinisee's minutes, and JG's minutes increase will largely come from Kopp.

As stated, injuries will definitely adjust the minutes allotment too.

I am a Galloway fan, but I am expecting to see him around the 15 minute mark next season.  But….if he gains a jumper, he’s pretty hard to keep off the floor.

I will be extremely surprised if Galloway's minutes go down next year. I see very few plausible scenarios where that happens. 

He was one of our most important players last season. There was a reason he was often in our closing lineups and a reason things went south when he was injured. 

I tend to think his talents are best suited in a 6th man role, but I also think it's more likely he starts than his minutes go down. 

He's so important to what IU does and I think having JHS along with XJ actually helps him. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I will be extremely surprised if Galloway's minutes go down next year. I see very few plausible scenarios where that happens. 

He was one of our most important players last season. There was a reason he was often in our closing lineups and a reason things went south when he was injured. 

I tend to think his talents are best suited in a 6th man role, but I also think it's more likely he starts than his minutes go down. 

He's so important to what IU does and I think having JHS along with XJ actually helps him. 

The converse of this, is JHS offers a lot of the same attributes.  With shooting being a question mark too.  It’s going to be hard to play X, JHS, Galloway at the same time unless 2 of the 3 become shooting threats.  Bates, when I watch him has the potential to be the multitalented scoring guard, clutch shooter type.  I love his potential.  He needs to play more.  He was forcing some things last year to try to earn more PT.  

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Galloway has to start hitting outside shots to warrant significant playing time. He provides energy so he is an ideal bench player. But he should not be starting.