Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Time to enter transfer portal is done. We don’t appear to be actively pursuing anyone anymore. If TJD wasn’t coming back, staff would have filled the spot, imo.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Still tons of guys in the portal who haven’t committed yet. If Trayce went pro we would have a bunch of options to pursue.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Time to enter transfer portal is done. We don’t appear to be actively pursuing anyone anymore. If TJD wasn’t coming back, staff would have filled the spot, imo.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't go that far.  There are lots of guys still in the portal and there could be offers contingent on TJD's status.  Dennis could still be an option as well which might shift JG to only playing the 4 leaving the big men at Race, JG, Reneau, and Duncomb.

38 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So, it appears TJD is likely back, and our roster is set?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Where did you here this

18 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

If you filled the spot then TJD comes back then what?  They might know but I doubt TJD had made up his mind yet.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't go that far.  There are lots of guys still in the portal and there could be offers contingent on TJD's status.  Dennis could still be an option as well which might shift JG to only playing the 4 leaving the big men at Race, JG, Reneau, and Duncomb.

This is a possibility. The good bigs are spoken for already though.

Still tons of guys in the portal who haven’t committed yet. If Trayce went pro we would have a bunch of options to pursue.

Not that would fill Trayce’s void. I suppose we could play Malik or Race or Duncomb as our 5 but I don’t think the staff wants to roll that way. Maybe Malik is our starting 5 as a freshman, but something tells me this staff isn’t planning for that. There were some good options at the 5, I think they are all gone already.

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I bet there are some guys in the portal who are willing to wait until June 1st to make a decision. Not saying this will happen but if Trayce does leave who knows maybe a big man would really want to come to IU and something would be worked out real fast. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Not that would fill Trayce’s void. I suppose we could play Malik or Race or Duncomb as our 5 but I don’t think the staff wants to roll that way. Maybe Malik is our starting 5 as a freshman, but something tells me this staff isn’t planning for that. There were some good options at the 5, I think they are all gone already.

There aren't any players that went to the portal that would fill Trayce's void.  And even with the best centers available, it's hard to get them to commit on a 'maybe' Trayce will be gone.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dennis is releasing his top 6 today. Hope we make it. I'm sorry but his recruitment has gone a little long for me. I know he's not likely to be a pro so he's trying to get the best NIL deal possible but come on man a top 6 in May.

TJD said in his own words if he's not a top 35 pick he's back. Not sure if he got an invite or not but it seems we would have heard by now. I'm guessing he's not in the top 50 so I would expect him to be back. I actually thought he would have announced that by now. 

a top 6 in may..... from a 5th year senior.

gross

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Dennis is releasing his top 6 today. Hope we make it. I'm sorry but his recruitment has gone a little long for me. I know he's not likely to be a pro so he's trying to get the best NIL deal possible but come on man a top 6 in May.

TJD said in his own words if he's not a top 35 pick he's back. Not sure if he got an invite or not but it seems we would have heard by now. I'm guessing he's not in the top 50 so I would expect him to be back. I actually thought he would have announced that by now. 

A top 6?! I thought he already did all of that? My goodness...I get it somewhat lol but it's May. 

Kids want all the attention for as long as possible, can't blame them. Plus looking for best NIL deal, that has a factor.  NBA Draft is a factor too for those oversigned. 

21 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

There are two things that Geronimo needs to do to be an effective option at the three:

1. Be a reliable three point shooter
  2. Improve his defensive awareness

I didn't mention improving his handle... We will have two really good pick and roll guards (and maybe Gallo as a third). JG won't have the handle of TB, but he already has the handle of MK, and he does other things really well that MK and TB will never do as well. 

So his strengths in rim protection, keeping offensive possessions alive, switchability on defense (that's a big one) and finishing at the rim compensate for some weaknesses, but with Trayce never turning into an outside threat we will need JG, JHS, X, and Race to be respectable from outside -- not afraid to shoot when open and about 35% on open jumpers. That's not too much to expect; I think that JG's outside shot form translates well.

Defensive awareness? That will come from dedication to watching film and lots of minutes during cupcake season.

JG does not have the handle of Kopp, which is not a high bar. His handle last season was extremely shaky and I would be shocked to see him start on the wing any time soon until that's fixed.

25 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah… I’m not sure I care to have the kid anymore. 

1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

JG does not have the handle of Kopp, which is not a high bar. His handle last season was extremely shaky and I would be shocked to see him start on the wing any time soon until that's fixed.

I agree. I love JG. But I find it very hard to believe he’s going to make the transition to the 3. He doesn’t move very well with the ball in his hands at all. He’s an undersized 4 who can stretch the defense a bit. I’ll be shocked and more than happy to eat crow if he can effectively play the wing next year. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I agree. I love JG. But I find it very hard to believe he’s going to make the transition to the 3. He doesn’t move very well with the ball in his hands at all. He’s an undersized 4 who can stretch the defense a bit. I’ll be shocked and more than happy to eat crow if he can effectively play the wing next year. 

If he's been here for two years already and the handle still looks like that, I'd say it's not going to get much better. He will still be an effective role player off the bench.

2 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

If he's been here for two years already and the handle still looks like that, I'd say it's not going to get much better. He will still be an effective role player off the bench.

Depends on what the staff was trying to develop in him these last two years I think. We needed him more at 4 last couple years 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Depends on what the staff was trying to develop in him these last two years I think. We needed him more at 4 last couple years 

Staff can only spend so much time with each player. Handle is a skill that needs 95%+ personal development time. Regardless of the staff's priorities he hasn't personally prioritized it which is significant if he thinks of himself as a wing player.