Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

Just now, Honkyman said:

Dexter Dennis may not want to wait around for Trayce Jackson Davis to make his decision whether to go pro or return to IU. TJD has until June 1 and many believe he will be back. According to reports, Dennis heard from at least 18 schools, including LSU and Virginia. It seems unlikely he would be available a month from now should TJD decide to keep his name in the NBA draft.

Have also read that WSU is putting together an NIL deal for him to return

44 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

There had been some mentions by some online that there were some nervous hours for the IU basketball staff as the transfer deadline approached. According to Rabby, if I am reading the cryptic post accurately, there were no last minute additions to the portal from IU. Sounds like last remaining business is TJD/Dexter Dennis decisions.

Technically we could be on pins and needles a bit longer.  Deadline for submission to the school was last night but the school has 2 days to submit the paperwork.  So unless one or the other makes an announcement it's still a bit of wait and see.  No reason to believe anyone submitted but there is still a slightly open window.

1 hour ago, jbeaman9 said:

There had been some mentions by some online that there were some nervous hours for the IU basketball staff as the transfer deadline approached. According to Rabby, if I am reading the cryptic post accurately, there were no last minute additions to the portal from IU. Sounds like last remaining business is TJD/Dexter Dennis decisions.

Perhaps there may have been some concern about a last minute portal entry, but those rumors may have also been just pure click bait

On 4/30/2022 at 3:59 PM, IUFAN1976 said:

Could it be possible that Brooks could land at IU?  I know we don’t have room for him, but I would rather have him than Kopp

Kopp fills a current role on the team and isn't going anywhere. Partially because the guy that makes the decisions likes Kopp. 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Technically we could be on pins and needles a bit longer.  Deadline for submission to the school was last night but the school has 2 days to submit the paperwork.  So unless one or the other makes an announcement it's still a bit of wait and see.  No reason to believe anyone submitted but there is still a slightly open window.

True, but I think if a player wanted to go to the portal he would likely want his name out right away so that he could see what schools are interested.  With the number of players in the portal, waiting a couple of extra days could be the different in finding the right landing spot.  I would think if anyone submitted their paperwork, they would have sent a message out on social media stating so.

1 hour ago, jbeaman9 said:

Have also read that WSU is putting together an NIL deal for him to return

They are.  Wichita State saw nine players go into the portal and four already signed elsewhere.....forced them to quickly reevaluate their NIL structure.  They had one player of theirs left the portal and rejoin the Shockers after they put together an NIL package for him (included a car).

They're also bringing in six recruits already (either freshman or transfer portal players).  Lots of shuffling in and out for them.

16 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Kopp fills a current role on the team and isn't going anywhere. Partially because the guy that makes the decisions likes Kopp. 

I guess we'll get another year of videos which I liked watching a whole lot more than him playing.

4 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I guess we'll get another year of videos which I liked watching a whole lot more than him playing.

I still think he looked worse because he was playing with Stewart a lot and those two didn't complement each other at all. He's one of only two returners to shoot over 36% from 3 and is very good from the FT line.  

11 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

I still think he looked worse because he was playing with Stewart a lot and those two didn't complement each other at all. He's one of only two returners to shoot over 36% from 3 and is very good from the FT line.  

I hope you're right and he looks much better next season.

Last year we had two catch and shoot guys - Miller Kopp and Parker Stewart.

There are multiple things to like about Miller Kopp returning to next year's team, especially over Parker Stewart and especially if he is not counted on to play 25 minutes per game again:

• He was the pretty much the same three point shooter against P5 difficult competition as against low/mid-majors. Parker fell off a cliff when we graduated from cupcake games. Kopp’s 36% from three is still a good points per possession, and it seems like there's room for that to increase.
  • He's a three, so his lack of ball skills is lessened and he isn't matched up against quickness. And he's long for a three.
  • He's solid with positional defensive awareness and offensive floor-spacing awareness.
  • His body language/attitude is always on point. Seems to be a really good locker room guy and a solid citizen.
  • He's a close buddy of (at a minimum) Trayce (and Jordan G. and Gallo). Maybe adds just a tiny extra reason for Trayce to stay.

Sounds like combine invites went out over the weekend. Sounds like they have a few days to accept. If I read it right they invite 60 players for the NBA draft combine and 40 from the G League. If Trayce got one (which I think he will) his decision probably won't be made for another 3 weeks. 

2 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Sounds like combine invites went out over the weekend. Sounds like they have a few days to accept. If I read it right they invite 60 players for the NBA draft combine and 40 from the G League. If Trayce got one (which I think he will) his decision probably won't be made for another 3 weeks. 

If it was a G league invite, I think he would be back for sure.

21 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Say what you will about Kopp being dead weight. I like having a fifth-year guy who can knock down 3s and who plays solid defense coming off the bench and being a steadying force in practice as well. I've always thought a 3-point shooter coming off the bench is a huge asset...to the point I would not have started either Kopp or Stewart last season just to have such a situation.

22 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

Say what you will about Kopp being dead weight. I like having a fifth-year guy who can knock down 3s and who plays solid defense coming off the bench and being a steadying force in practice as well. I've always thought a 3-point shooter coming off the bench is a huge asset...to the point I would not have started either Kopp or Stewart last season just to have such a situation.

If that ends up being his role, great. I have a feeling he'll continue to start get a lot of PT.

6 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

If that ends up being his role, great. I have a feeling he'll continue to start get a lot of PT.

I don't see Kopp starting at all. The word I have been hearing is that Geronimo is going to spend the summer learning to handle the ball so that he can assume the starting role at "the 3." And if JG can't get to that point, I think we go with Bates, JHS and X in a 3-guard offense with Race and Trayce.

5 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

Geronimo is going to spend the summer learning to handle the ball so that he can assume the starting role at "the 3." And if JG can't get to that point, I think we go with Bates, JHS and X in a 3-guard offense with Race and Trayce.

Perhaps. Becoming a good 3-point shooter and ball handler over a couple of months is easier said than done. I remember some predicting that TJD would develop an outside shot last summer. Obviously, players improve over time with consistent hard work. But good shooters usually arrive at college as good shooters and become better shooters. Same is true with ball handling. Bates would seem to start out with a better chance of playing the role of a shooter than Geronimo who demonstrated more aptitude for rebounding and putting back missed shots. Unless one of Bates, Galloway, Leal, or Geronimo suddenly become great shooters, the fact remains that Kopp is easily the best outside shooter on the team to play the 3. In any event, competition for the 3 spot should make the entire team better.

13 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Perhaps. Becoming a good 3-point shooter and ball handler over a couple of months is easier said than done. I remember some predicting that TJD would develop an outside shot last summer. Obviously, players improve over time with consistent hard work. But good shooters usually arrive at college as good shooters and become better shooters. Same is true with ball handling. Bates would seem to start out with a better chance of playing the role of a shooter than Geronimo who demonstrated more aptitude for rebounding and putting back missed shots. Unless one of Bates, Galloway, Leal, or Geronimo suddenly become great shooters, the fact remains that Kopp is easily the best outside shooter on the team to play the 3. In any event, competition for the 3 spot should make the entire team better.

I agree.

In regards to Bates, Galloway and JG….It would be huge if one of them could develop into a reliable perimeter threat as all three of them are decent taking it to the rim. As you stated, players can develop but becoming a good shooter is easier said than done. If none of them become a perimeter threat we will have a very deep roster but probably still lack, like last year, a multi-dimensional “go to” perimeter threat. A Davis, Ivy, Murray type of guy would raise our ceiling and give us an end of game option rather than just trying to get the ball into TJD (which every team in the BT expected/defended last year). I think/hope Bates could be that guy but who knows.

There are two things that Geronimo needs to do to be an effective option at the three:

1. Be a reliable three point shooter
  2. Improve his defensive awareness

I didn't mention improving his handle... We will have two really good pick and roll guards (and maybe Gallo as a third). JG won't have the handle of TB, but he already has the handle of MK, and he does other things really well that MK and TB will never do as well. 

So his strengths in rim protection, keeping offensive possessions alive, switchability on defense (that's a big one) and finishing at the rim compensate for some weaknesses, but with Trayce never turning into an outside threat we will need JG, JHS, X, and Race to be respectable from outside -- not afraid to shoot when open and about 35% on open jumpers. That's not too much to expect; I think that JG's outside shot form translates well.

Defensive awareness? That will come from dedication to watching film and lots of minutes during cupcake season.

35 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Kopp scored at the bottom of the team,  like 10th, and Geronimo repeatedly showed a pretty solid outside shot. His stroke is good. Kopp adds outside shooting, but he cannot create his own shot, he's a catch and shoot player. We will be much, much better, on both sides of the ball, if Geronimo continues to progress along the lines he's already shown. That progression is up to him, but man he's one thousand times better than having Kopp play extended starting minutes.

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

We will be much, much better, on both sides of the ball, if Geronimo continues to progress along the lines he's already shown.

Woodson seems to like Kopp which obviously counts for a lot. Geronimo's play so far is more natural for the 4 spot. His ball handling and outside shooting need a lot of work but he seems to have a solid work ethic. I'm sure Woodson promised him the opportunity to play the 3 but he has to demonstrate he is truly up to it for long stretches rather than simply in relief. As mentioned, Bates would seem to have the best chance of beating out Kopp for the 3. We shall see.