Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

We had a spot available the day he visited. It's my understanding that staff tried to get him to commit and he didn't. A couple days later Reneau visited and committed.

I seem to remember Reneau committing before Dennis’ visit.

It’s very possible my timeline on that is inaccurate, however. (I’m getting old, and my memory is shot!)

2 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I seem to remember Reneau committing before Dennis’ visit.

It’s very possible my timeline on that is inaccurate, however. (I’m getting old, and my memory is shot!)

You are correct. I had the visits backwards.

17 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

I would hope if we're offering scholarships we don't have available, we've already dug deep into the logistics of the roster spots and had a plan in mind. 

Every program "Creans" players. Which is why you see 1,000+ kids in the portal. It's not always their choice to go into the portal. 

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I don't want to speak out of turn, but Dennis has been very open about his mental health journey.  Here is a really good piece that he and Wylie Glover (Wichita State softball player) did for #Pow6rfulMinds:  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1228426027580777  .  I sincerely hope that the abrupt dropping of his twitter account has nothing to do with his mental well being.  I know that sometimes what people write online can have an effect on people's mental state -- I know that I am guilty of it both giving and receiving on occasion.  Full disclosure:  I recently deleted my own twitter account as it was becoming a rabbit hole of negativity.

I will always pull for anyone that gives back with their mental health stories to help others.  I have had to deal with my own issues of depression and anxiety and wouldn't wish those issues on my worst enemy.  Dennis seems like an incredibly great role model both on and off the court and I hope that comments made (I know I've made them myself) about how he would/wouldn't fit at IU he has taken personally.

Just my opinion, I think at this point Dennis would like to commit to IU and the staff would love to have him.  It's just a matter of making the scholarship situation work out and that could come to what happens with a couple of other moving parts.

^^This^^

Dexter Dennis is an admirable young man, and he may have been self-aware enough to pull back on social media for now. 

Mike Woodson is a wise mentor. When he says he wishes players would greatly restrict social media he's not just being averse to new concepts, he's speaking from a point of experience and wisdom.

There's a reason that the moderators restrict personal insults and political stuff on this board. We want a place to talk IU sports without it becoming a free-for-all of social media negativity. It's a semi-social media place, but it takes the attention of multiple people to keep it that way. A 20 year old doesn't have that mechanism or that luxury on Twitter.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’ll be bummed if we miss out on a contributor because we didn’t want to rock the boat and Crean the 12th or 13th man. 

I wouldn’t be so confident to say “contributor”

he very well could be at the end of the bench next to those guys. How does one win defensive player of the year and not make any of the regular first, second, third team all-conference selections? Because he is a one way player and that’s not what we need.

im also not confident his defense will translate to that same level in the bigten - he’s not used to playing against a BigTen level schedule

16 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’ll be bummed if we miss out on a contributor because we didn’t want to rock the boat and Crean the 12th or 13th man. 

I'll be bummed if we miss on Dexter Dennis. Really good basketball player who would have been in our rotation and helped the team.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I am very interested in IU men's basketball regaining competitiveness at the top of the B1G and the NCAAT.  Having said that, I wonder if IU basketball coaches are getting tripped up by the Student-Athlete Bill of Rights.  Specifically: . A four-year scholarship commitment regardless of injury, illness or athletic performance. In other words, a coach can't take away scholarships if players aren't good enough or are injured. 

Glass seemed to emphasize to Archie Miller that churning athletes was not going to happen at IU.  I do like the image that the administration seems to be giving our current coaches more support.

But is there a divergence of goals and policy here?  Has the Bill of Rights been put on the back burner?

Support the athletes.  And support IU basketball resurgence. Can we have both?

1 minute ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I am very interested in IU men's basketball regaining competitiveness at the top of the B1G and the NCAAT.  Having said that, I wonder if IU basketball coaches are getting tripped up by the Student-Athlete Bill of Rights.  Specifically: . A four-year scholarship commitment regardless of injury, illness or athletic performance. In other words, a coach can't take away scholarships if players aren't good enough or are injured. 

Glass seemed to emphasize to Archie Miller that churning athletes was not going to happen at IU.  I do like the image that the administration seems to be giving our current coaches more support.

But is there a divergence of goals and policy here?  Has the Bill of Rights been put on the back burner?

Bill of rights just means IU will still pay for their education at IU they just wouldn’t be part of the team anymore.    I’m guessing in every case the player will look elsewhere to play 

19 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Archie had like 7 unfilled roster spots over the span of his 4 years, and was seemingly struggling to get what he did. Archie was never in position to churn and push out players.