Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

In my opinion Woody only gets one shot to compete with the big boys.  Even just one more year of being a mid-pack conference team will likely put a cap on his tenure at IU.  It's not just about the merits of one guy versus another.  He's got to show notable progress on the court to sustain his progress on the recruiting trail.  I hope this somehow works out well for all involved. But I think he would be crazy not to pursue a likely starter/contributor at a position of relative weakness for next season.  
I agree.....can you imagine what posts we would see if we were to pass on a kid with some proven level of talent from another conference and Leal doesn't help in any way on the court? That type of move would typically have portions of this fanbase calling for the firing of the coach for mismanagement of the roster in the off-season. Why do some want to pass on talent when you know in 7 months you will be wishing we had it?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

He’s also not a Priller-level end of bench player. He’s brought serious value in B1G games a few times in his first couple years and that’s a lot more than you can say for a good chunk of 12-13th men. 

Still can’t believe he was a 4 year scholarship player. That guy put in zero effort. Plus he stunk.

16 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I would say that’s a giant leap to think that is the case.

Previously, I would have agreed with you. Now, with the NIL, I don't think it is nearly as far fetched. I could easily see deals being worked out to exceed the value of his scholarship and current NIL deals. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is likely but it is much more so than the pre-NIL days. 

I'm glad some of you are young enough to still have hairs to split.
BTW, can we not call not Dexter Dennis "DD"?  We haven't had a real good history of guys with those initials.
haha! When I read that post and saw DD, I first thought they were alluding to Dakich

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, mbredenk101 said:

I agree.....can you imagine what posts we would see if we were to pass on a kid with some proven level of talent from another conference and Leal doesn't help in any way on the court? That type of move would typically have portions of this fanbase calling for the firing of the coach for mismanagement of the roster in the off-season. Why do some want to pass on talent when you know in 7 months you will be wishing we had it?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

True.....but it goes both ways. Now imagine pushing out the wholesome, hometown kid that has a few years of eligibility left and is not an embarrassment (on or off the court) to bring in a one year guy that doesn't excel? Dennis shoots 29% from 3 or gets in some off-court trouble and you look like a grade A jerk.  There is risk either way. I would tend to agree with you for a transformative talent or filling a huge need in your roster. Not sure Dennis is either. 

6 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

haha! When I read that post and saw DD, I first thought they were alluding to Dakich

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Devin Davis, De'ron Davis, Dan Dakich......is there a DD who was went through our program who hasn't proven to be a pain in the @$$?

15 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

True.....but it goes both ways. Now imagine pushing out the wholesome, hometown kid that has a few years of eligibility left and is not an embarrassment (on or off the court) to bring in a one year guy that doesn't excel? Dennis shoots 29% from 3 or gets in some off-court trouble and you look like a grade A jerk.  There is risk either way. I would tend to agree with you for a transformative talent or filling a huge need in your roster. Not sure Dennis is either. 

Defense travels. When all else fails, Dexter Dennis will be a fantastic defender.

And he is a proven great teammate and asset to the community.

Anthony Leal is also a fantastic teammate.

Plenty of ways to have both players on the team.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Defense travels. When all else fails, Dexter Dennis will be a fantastic defender.

And he is a proven great teammate and asset to the community.

Anthony Leal is also a fantastic teammate.

Plenty of ways to have both players on the team.

I don’t doubt Dennis would be a positive locker room guy.  I am of the opinion that his impact, while positive, would be minimal.  I would say he’s a better version of Phinisee….great defender, bigger than Phin, but offensively not very good.  If he shoots what he did last year I’m not sure he’s better than what we already have available.

37 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I don’t doubt Dennis would be a positive locker room guy.  I am of the opinion that his impact, while positive, would be minimal.  I would say he’s a better version of Phinisee….great defender, bigger than Phin, but offensively not very good.  If he shoots what he did last year I’m not sure he’s better than what we already have available.

1) While Dexter is not a great shooter, he has been significantly better than Rob Phinisee.

2) A better, taller version of Phin is a very good player 

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

1) While Dexter is not a great shooter, he has been significantly better than Rob Phinisee.

2) A better, taller version of Phin is a very good player 

1.  The last three years Dennis has been a 36/32 shooter.  He's only been an okay shooter one year and we are four years removed from that.  Phinisee has been a 35/28.  That significantly better is still really, really poor.

2.  If Dennis was coming in to be asked to take a Phin type role -- backup, getting backup minutes -- that would be one thing.  If he is being asked to come in as a starter at the 3, as Chris has suggested, then I'm just not sure that him getting minutes over say, a Bates, is really that positive.  

I'm not trying to be a downer.  I just don't see Dennis as a guy who makes any real kind of impactful difference.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

1.  The last three years Dennis has been a 36/32 shooter.  He's only been an okay shooter one year and we are four years removed from that.  Phinisee has been a 35/28.  That significantly better is still really, really poor.

2.  If Dennis was coming in to be asked to take a Phin type role -- backup, getting backup minutes -- that would be one thing.  If he is being asked to come in as a starter at the 3, as Chris has suggested, then I'm just not sure that him getting minutes over say, a Bates, is really that positive.  

I'm not trying to be a downer.  I just don't see Dennis as a guy who makes any real kind of impactful difference.

I consider Phin a very good defender. He was never first team all B1G defense.

Dex was conference defensive player of the year.

And, not sure why you cherry picked away Dennis’ first year shooting. That counts. Or, if recency is relevant, Dennis was significantly better than Rob last year too.

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I consider Phin a very good defender. He was never first team all B1G defense.

Dex was conference defensive player of the year.

And, not sure why you cherry picked away Dennis’ first year shooting. That counts. Or, if recency is relevant, Dennis was significantly better than Rob last year too.

The first year ended in the spring of 2019.  You'll also notice that didn't just cite last year's numbers, which were his worst.  The last three years, though, have been a pretty distinct pattern and I'd say water has found its level.   I think you would agree that longer removed a season is the less relevant it is.  As I've mentioned before, he was poor enough offensively that being the 

If you want to look at his whole career, he's a 37% /34% shooter.  That's really poor.  Even adding in his three point shooting, his effective shooting percentage is very, very poor.

I’m looking at it this way —

We finished the year basically the best D in conference— allowed least points per possession, FG D was very good. So far we’re returning all of that except Phin, and JG’s D (already strong) will be better this season and with more minutes

We’re adding as of now the #5 ranked (247) incoming class including Ren who’s excellent defensively). 
The team right now has good chemistry and defense is not a weakness, it’s a strength. Imo we do not need Dennis. 
I’m for development, guys develop, on both sides of the ball.

I go back to remembering people calling for Wat to transfer after his sophomore year, and saying Vic was a “mediocre” shooter and always would be after his sophomore year, and there’ve been a number of those guys.
We have a strong core right now. Chemistry, commitment of staff to the players who who are committed to the team and have shown contributions to the team matter. Running out and grabbing portal players at the expense of all that is not any kind of guarantee and it comes with risk. Guys like Leal contribute, depth, locker room, chemistry, skill set including shooting that with development can blossom, all that matters

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If he doesn't start he would be a few minutes of a game sub and when the other team gets a hot had, he would be brought in to shut him down, and maybe to contain the other teams crunch player in crunch time. The whole "it's who finishes" mantra.

43 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

If he doesn't start he would be a few minutes of a game sub and when the other team gets a hot had, he would be brought in to shut him down, and maybe to contain the other teams crunch player in crunch time. The whole "it's who finishes" mantra.

If Chris’ info is correct, he is being recruited to be a starter with starter’s minutes.  Honestly, he was a 31 minute guy at Wichita St and I would he is looking to go somewhere as a starter.

37 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If Chris’ info is correct, he is being recruited to be a starter with starter’s minutes.  Honestly, he was a 31 minute guy at Wichita St and I would he is looking to go somewhere as a starter.

I'm not sure if we would lose defensively if we get McNeil and his shooting wasn't much better than Kopp's was it?

36 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Dennis is about to release a top 5 according to twitter…seems like this is going to take longer than originally thought. 

It may for him, but it doesn't have to for us.