Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

6 hours ago, cthomas said:

Of course, circumstances matter. If a kid wants to do something like that, it's his choice. Just not a big fan of pushing a kid out who is doing everything asked of him.

And if Woody cuts Leal, what does that do to his recruiting efforts within the state? Kick off a Mr Basketball, for a "possible" slightly better recruit that won't get that many more minutes than Leal would anyway? Might be a bitter pill for HS coaches to swallow and still support IU's recruiting efforts (this point was made by Rabjohns).

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

And if Woody cuts Leal, what does that do to his recruiting efforts within the state? Kick off a Mr Basketball, for a "possible" slightly better recruit that won't get that many more minutes than Leal would anyway? Might be a bitter pill for HS coaches to swallow and still support IU's recruiting efforts (this point was made by Rabjohns).

I’m sure the staff is aware of that factor.

11 hours ago, mbredenk101 said:

This is based on the assumption that the "big bad coach" is telling Leal he has to give up his scholarship to stay on the team. What if Leal came to him and volunteered to give it up? What if the parents met with Coach Woodson and told him to do whatever is necessary to build the best team possible, including using their son's scholarship? Some have said that we need selfless people, regardless of talent, at the end of the bench taking up scholarship 10-13. Maybe Leal is being as selfless as some would like him to be?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

I would say that’s a giant leap to think that is the case.

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’m sure the staff is aware of that factor.

Doesn’t make them correct in their risk assessment, though.  

I am completely in the staff’s corner.  But I have been with every staff since Knight left in thdd we hope of IU getting back to national prominence.  But there is a difference between support and blind faith.  Support shouldn’t come without the ability to ask questions.  

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Doesn’t make them correct in their risk assessment, though.  

I am completely in the staff’s corner.  But I have been with every staff since Knight left in thdd we hope of IU getting back to national prominence.  But there is a difference between support and blind faith.  Support shouldn’t come without the ability to ask questions.  

Oh completely agree…

Spitballing  and critiquing those decisions is what we do around here!

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Woody grew up and played in the state in the 70s and 80s. Went to IU. And spent years managing egos in the pros. When he was coming up not only was the head basketball coach the most popular govt employee in town, he was usually the most powerful (if he won). 

I get the apprehension given the miscues in this regard of our last few coaches. But out of all the things I could forgive a coach with Woodys resume for not knowing about the college game, I would actually be disappointed in him if he didn’t understand this.  

Of course, even Knight screwed up the Montross ordeal, so who knows…

6 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I'm glad some of you are young enough to still have hairs to split.

BTW, can we not call not Dexter Dennis "DD"?  We haven't had a real good history of guys with those initials.

No hair here and haven’t had any for a while. I’ve always had some friends that I liked name Dennis so I think I’m going with that. Maybe Dex.