Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

17 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

On-campus would be the only place it could be different, but I can’t imagine things would actually be any different for him than if he was on scholarship other than having that “little” $12k bill. I don’t think walk-ons technically have free access to on-campus meal plans and things like that, but as A. a basketball player and B. simply being Trayce Jackson-Davis nothing would change for him. 

You can say that again

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I know.  But I haven't heard anyone in the athletic department state that it's went away.  If it has gone away, fine......but the AD should at least own that.

Edit:  Let's also face the fact that a huge reason it came about in the first place was the spring Creaning that went on.

Although the Student Bill of Rights was undoubtedly used as a PR push to counteract the perception of kicking underperforming players to the curb, it was never really a very likely option for healthy players that were capable of playing elsewhere. It also had more than a bit to do with injured football players saying they were being forced to play and something similar in one of the women's team sports around that time as well. 

6 hours ago, JimmerNoe said:

With the addition of Malik and Dexter, along with Race and hopefully Trayce coming back, our 7 man rotation could consist of:
1. Preseason national AA (TJD)
2. Big Ten Honorable Mention (X)
3. Big Ten Honorable Mention (Race)
4. Conference DPOY (Dexter)
5. 5-star guard (JHS)
6. 5-star guard (Tamar)
7. 5-star big (Malik)

That leaves:
Miller (former starter)
Trey (starter minutes, energy/impact guy)
JG (who we all hope makes a huge leap)

Wow that’s a good problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally think if we sign Dexter JG will transfer based on zero intel Lol. I love your top 7 and personally think you ad JG to that 7 man rotation if he stayed and roll with those 8. That would be a great rotation.

4 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

People keep talking about another person leaving(Kopp, Leal, Duncomb). Personally, I get the feeling TJD is staying in the draft.

If TJD stays in the draft.....IU could probably use another 5.  Going into the season expecting Race and Duncomb to exclusively handle the 5 isn't a great proposition.  My feeling is TJD staying in the draft doesn't really gain us anything in terms of saving a roster spot because IMO we would look to bring in a last minute 5.  

Part of me says that since IU really isn't pursuing any 5's, the staff might feel that TJD is coming back.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If TJD stays in the draft.....IU could probably use another 5.  Going into the season expecting Race and Duncomb to exclusively handle the 5 isn't a great proposition.  My feeling is TJD staying in the draft doesn't really gain us anything in terms of saving a roster spot because IMO we would look to bring in a last minute 5.  

Part of me says that since IU really isn't pursuing any 5's, the staff might feel that TJD is coming back.

Every piece of advise/feedback he needs to hear, is in his coaches office. I believe you're right, they wouldn't be blindsided by his decision. I could also see 1-2 million reasons for him to stay.

6 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It says more than that and its intent was certainly more than that.  It says a scholarship can't be pulled by a coach due to a player injury, illness, or performance.  I'm sure you aren't suggesting that Leal would be voluntarily giving up his scholarship out of the kindness of his heart.

Again, if the IU Student Bill of Rights isn't a thing anymore, then I just think the athletic department should say so and be done with it.  Just don't think they should say it's in place and then skirt around it anyway.

I don't think it says the coach can't pull it (IE: kick a kid off) but that the university still honors the concept of the scholly and the kid gets 4 years of free schooling.

I know all the arguments, but I'm not a fan of this approach. I understand that scholarships are a one year deal but I believe that commitments should be a two way street. If a kid gets a scholarship and fulfills his end of that agreement, then we should honor that. I want to win as much as anyone, but not at any cost. This all seems a little contradictory to the things that CMW said when he was hired. He was about family and being there for the kids on and off the court. Getting rid of kids who committed to you in a time of need just to marginally improve the roster does not seem right to me. A good culture should start with loyalty that goes both ways.
This is based on the assumption that the "big bad coach" is telling Leal he has to give up his scholarship to stay on the team. What if Leal came to him and volunteered to give it up? What if the parents met with Coach Woodson and told him to do whatever is necessary to build the best team possible, including using their son's scholarship? Some have said that we need selfless people, regardless of talent, at the end of the bench taking up scholarship 10-13. Maybe Leal is being as selfless as some would like him to be?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, mbredenk101 said:

This is based on the assumption that the "big bad coach" is telling Leal he has to give up his scholarship to stay on the team. What if Leal came to him and volunteered to give it up? What if the parents met with Coach Woodson and told him to do whatever is necessary to build the best team possible, including using their son's scholarship? Some have said that we need selfless people, regardless of talent, at the end of the bench taking up scholarship 10-13. Maybe Leal is being as selfless as some would like him to be?

Of course, circumstances matter. If a kid wants to do something like that, it's his choice. Just not a big fan of pushing a kid out who is doing everything asked of him.

5 hours ago, mbredenk101 said:

I'm also starting to think that TJD could be the most likely candidate to pay his own way. He has until June 1 (10 days after combine) to pull his name out of the draft and retain NCAA eligibility. If he stays, he would want the best possible team around him. If he leaves, he wouldn't want to put Woodson and the team in a bad situation not having had the chance to fill his spot. He has already earned more than enough NIL money to cover tuition/etc, and he would be the one assuming the risk to test the waters with the NBA, and that cost might be worth it to him maximize his NBA chances.

Have to think this time next week we will know way more. 

1) NBA Combine invites should be going out soon. I think they send them out after the April 24th deadline. If Trayce gets an invite we won't probably hear about him until around Memorial Day. If he doesn't, he could be back as early as next week. They usually take 60-70 players at the combine. 

2) Have to think Dennis and McNeil make their decisions in the next week. I saw @Chris007 said the staff felt confident about Dennis. 

3) May 1st deadline is coming up. IF someone is leaving the program, they need to do so by May 1st in order to play right away. My guess is Leal pays his way or Kopp gets a waiver to transfer and play somewhere else. I think Geronimo and Duncomb would have left by now. 

After the dust settles the fun can begin with possible lineups/rotations and figuring about where IU stands in the B1G and nationally. As far as hype, probably will be the highest IU has been in the preseason since 2016-2017 (that didn't go so well though..)

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Have to think this time next week we will know way more. 

1) NBA Combine invites should be going out soon. I think they send them out after the April 24th deadline. If Trayce gets an invite we won't probably hear about him until around Memorial Day. If he doesn't, he could be back as early as next week. They usually take 60-70 players at the combine. 

2) Have to think Dennis and McNeil make their decisions in the next week. I saw @Chris007 said the staff felt confident about Dennis. 

3) May 1st deadline is coming up. IF someone is leaving the program, they need to do so by May 1st in order to play right away. My guess is Leal pays his way or Kopp gets a waiver to transfer and play somewhere else. I think Geronimo and Duncomb would have left by now. 

After the dust settles the fun can begin with possible lineups/rotations and figuring about where IU stands in the B1G and nationally. As far as hype, probably will be the highest IU has been in the preseason since 2016-2017 (that didn't go so well though..)

I'm just kidding but how does McNeil not pick IU while visiting during Little 500 weekend. Beautiful weather, lots of parties, has to be a dream visit. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm just kidding but how does McNeil not pick IU while visiting during Little 500 weekend. Beautiful weather, lots of parties, has to be a dream visit. 

McNeil has a high school sweetheart fiancé. Not saying that will prevent him from having a lot of fun, but that does change the dynamic a little.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

McNeil has a high school sweetheart fiancé. Not saying that will prevent him from having a lot of fun, but that does change the dynamic a little.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did. But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals."

-Otter, Delta House President

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

No kidding! Saw he is visiting Louisville next week so his decision may be a little later. However, if Dennis commits soon would IU still consider McNeil? Based on size/numbers I think Dennis would be a starter at IU. I'm not 100% sure McNeil starts next year. Being 6'3 I think he would come off the bench. That's why I think Dennis probably has a better chance of coming here... Dexter shoots 34% from 3 on his career. If that number goes up north a little more he would be a sneaky good pickup. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

No kidding! Saw he is visiting Louisville next week so his decision may be a little later. However, if Dennis commits soon would IU still consider McNeil? Based on size/numbers I think Dennis would be a starter at IU. I'm not 100% sure McNeil starts next year. Being 6'3 I think he would come off the bench. That's why I think Dennis probably has a better chance of coming here. 

From the sounds of it, IU would take both if they both wanted to come. McNeil also has a few other visits besides next weekend. 

18 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

No kidding! Saw he is visiting Louisville next week so his decision may be a little later. However, if Dennis commits soon would IU still consider McNeil? Based on size/numbers I think Dennis would be a starter at IU. I'm not 100% sure McNeil starts next year. Being 6'3 I think he would come off the bench. That's why I think Dennis probably has a better chance of coming here... Dexter shoots 34% from 3 on his career. If that number goes up north a little more he would be a sneaky good pickup. 

From what we know about Louisville's previous dynamics, every day is the Little 500 for Louisville basketball players.