Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

I think whats wild is if this rotation shortens to 8 at the end of the year (which I think it needs to if you look at the teams winning titles), you will probably have 2-3 guys not playing that could reasonably be getting starter minutes. Trey, Miller, JG, Tamar?

18 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I sure hope so. Big time college ball is competitive and no one 'deserves' anything they don't earn, so I'm fine with honestly telling players "this is what we see (or don't see) in your future." I do hate the idea of anyone getting cut unless there is a good reason though. Frankly XJ is the most "deserving" of getting the boot, but I don't expect (or want) that to happen, either.

IMO....Kopp would be at the top of the list as he has already had four guaranteed years of scholarship (three at Northwestern and one at IU).  After four years my opinion is the school has live up to their part of deal in providing four years of scholarship.  I don't think the NCAA granting everyone an extra year should be held against a school if the player doesn't fit.  X, Race, and Kopp have all played four years (Race five if you count the redshirt).  At that, I think a school should look at performance as to whether they should hold the spot.

Back in the day, Matt Roth was famously not given a fifth year.  I didn't have a problem with that....just a problem with how Crean handled it in not being forthcoming with Roth.

27 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

If we are hoping:

- X and JHS eat up almost all of the guard minutes along with hopefully Tamar
- Dennis and JG play the three
- Race/Malik/JG getting 4 minutes
- TJD getting almost all the five minutes

Where the heck do Kopp/Galloway’s minutes go? I know this is a good problem to have but I am having a hard time seeing more than spot minutes for two guys that got starter minutes most of the year. I don’t think they both drop down to playing scrub minutes but if we are upgrading all these spots maybe it just has to happen that way?

Well documented that I don't believe JG is a wing, but I'm done with that debate, can't take an entire offseason of that. 

With that said, JG is not getting wing minutes over Galloway. I'm not saying Kopp is what we need either, I just wouldn't think Kopp would stay if Bates, Galloway and JG are all hoping him in the lineup. 

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

So can we assume that IU's Student Athlete Bill of Rights is dead as a policy?  It would seem so since the second point in it is a four-year scholarship commitment regardless of injury, illness, or perforance.

I have no idea about that. That was Fred's baby

1 minute ago, JimmerNoe said:

I think whats wild is if this rotation shortens to 8 at the end of the year (which I think it needs to if you look at the teams winning titles), you will probably have 2-3 guys not playing that could reasonably be getting starter minutes. Trey, Miller, JG, Tamar?

Still a long ways away and if Woodson plays like he did last year, you can expect 10 to see some time.  Also have to consider that injuries can increase playing time for some.

With the addition of Malik and Dexter, along with Race and hopefully Trayce coming back, our 7 man rotation could consist of:
1. Preseason national AA (TJD)
2. Big Ten Honorable Mention (X)
3. Big Ten Honorable Mention (Race)
4. Conference DPOY (Dexter)
5. 5-star guard (JHS)
6. 5-star guard (Tamar)
7. 5-star big (Malik)

That leaves:
Miller (former starter)
Trey (starter minutes, energy/impact guy)
JG (who we all hope makes a huge leap)

Wow that’s a good problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have no idea about that. That was Fred's baby

I know.  But I haven't heard anyone in the athletic department state that it's went away.  If it has gone away, fine......but the AD should at least own that.

Edit:  Let's also face the fact that a huge reason it came about in the first place was the spring Creaning that went on.

1 minute ago, JimmerNoe said:

With the addition of Malik and Dexter, along with Race and hopefully Trayce coming back, our 7 man rotation could consist of:
1. Preseason national AA (TJD)
2. Big Ten Honorable Mention (X)
3. Big Ten Honorable Mention (Race)
4. Conference DPOY (Dexter)
5. 5-star guard (JHS)
6. 5-star guard (Tamar)
7. 5-star big (Malik)

That leaves:
Miller (former starter)
Trey (starter minutes, energy/impact guy)
JG (who we all hope makes a huge leap)

Wow that’s a good problem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is.  Last year we were talking about how South Florida's Michael Durr would fit in.

edit:  although I'm still not sure why everyone seems to have a degree of confidence in Dennis committing.  

25 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

So can we assume that IU's Student Athlete Bill of Rights is dead as a policy?  It would seem so since the second point in it is a four-year scholarship commitment regardless of injury, illness, or perforance.

The bill of rights flat out says the kid can’t walk on.  If he wants to stay on the team he would have to pay 

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

With each day we draw closer to the May 1, deadline, seems less likely any of our players are going to go portal jumping.   I'll reiterate my earlier statement that I think there's a plan in place and everyone has bought into that plan.

No inside info whatsoever but tend to agree. There's a reason the three guys announced early and we've heard nothing since other than Race going out of his way to say he's staying (which imo doesn't need to be announced). We know how Woodson valued Geronimo in the last several games, how his minutes jumped into the 20s, how his rebounding and blocks and D are valued, I have never thought he was considering leaving and still don't - a bit concerned about the possibility of adding 2 new guys, but those end of year conversations are not loosy goosey, and both the staff and the players are looking for their clear path, they don't tend to sit around waiting to see how chips fall into place

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

Would there be a scenario if TJD returns for him to pay his own way? He’s about to make a ton of money on NIL deals if he sticks around. 

Not sure if this has happened yet around the country, but it would set quite a precedent if it hasn’t. 

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Not sure if this has happened yet around the country, but it would set quite a precedent if it hasn’t. 

Oh my. Let's say TJD makes a cool million from NIL, and in turn pays his $12k in-state tuition, freeing up a scholarship.

That'd set some media fire.

Hova- you might know: If Trayce were non-scholly would he have the same access to team meals on trips, facilities, etc?

54 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Chris007 has connections 

I know he does.  But I'm not hearing that Dennis IS committing, just that he is more likely to than McNeil.  And unlike Dennis, McNeil still has the opportunity to commit during his visit while Dennis passed on doing so.

57 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

The bill of rights flat out says the kid can’t walk on.  If he wants to stay on the team he would have to pay 

It says more than that and its intent was certainly more than that.  It says a scholarship can't be pulled by a coach due to a player injury, illness, or performance.  I'm sure you aren't suggesting that Leal would be voluntarily giving up his scholarship out of the kindness of his heart.

Again, if the IU Student Bill of Rights isn't a thing anymore, then I just think the athletic department should say so and be done with it.  Just don't think they should say it's in place and then skirt around it anyway.

21 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It says more than that and its intent was certainly more than that.  It says a scholarship can't be pulled by a coach due to a player injury, illness, or performance.  I'm sure you aren't suggesting that Leal would be voluntarily giving up his scholarship out of the kindness of his heart.

Again, if the IU Student Bill of Rights isn't a thing anymore, then I just think the athletic department should say so and be done with it.  Just don't think they should say it's in place and then skirt around it anyway.

It’s not skirting around it. It would be telling him he no longer has an athletic scholarship.  If he would like he can stay a student free of charge. If he wishes to stay on the Basketball team he can pay his own way.  I believe walk ons are still eligible for NIL deals so it’s possible that “arrangements” could be made 

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Oh my. Let's say TJD makes a cool million from NIL, and in turn pays his $12k in-state tuition, freeing up a scholarship.

Hova- you might know: If Trayce were non-scholly would he have the same access to team meals on trips, facilities, etc?

If he can draw that much in NIL I gotta think a 5th year is not out of the question 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

On-campus would be the only place it could be different, but I can’t imagine things would actually be any different for him than if he was on scholarship other than having that “little” $12k bill. I don’t think walk-ons technically have free access to on-campus meal plans and things like that, but as A. a basketball player and B. simply being Trayce Jackson-Davis nothing would change for him. 

People keep talking about another person leaving(Kopp, Leal, Duncomb). Personally, I get the feeling TJD is staying in the draft.
As for as Leal( or someone else paying their own way, I'm thinking it happened before at a different program. Of course, I could have dreamt it, because I don't remember where.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

On-campus would be the only place it could be different, but I can’t imagine things would actually be any different for him than if he was on scholarship other than having that “little” $12k bill. I don’t think walk-ons technically have free access to on-campus meal plans and things like that, but as A. a basketball player and B. simply being Trayce Jackson-Davis nothing would change for him.