Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Since we are speculating, if all the chips fell into place a rotation of:

• TJD
  • Race
  • JHS
  • Bates
  • X
  • Dennis
  • Jordan G
  • Malik Reneau
  • Gallo

Sounds pretty freaking incredible to me. Like, "sky's the limit" incredible.

Along these lines.

X-Galloway

JHS-Bates-Gunn-Leal

Dennis-Geronimo-Banks

Race- Reneau-Banks

TJD- Duncomb (Reneau)

starters could be debated in 2 and 3 spots IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I know you can't go from athletic scholarship to academic scholarship but after that, I don't know for sure what the rules are. I know his parents for the university so if it's allowed by the NCAA he can get tuition half off. 

Alfords son paid his own way his final year to free up a scholarship 

18 minutes ago, ray said:

I am not doubting you in the slightest, but how is paying for your own education and suiting up as a walk-on illegal?  Honest question, and hoping you know the answer.  Thanks in advance! 

I, like some others here, would love for Leal to stay (or at least not be asked to leave).  His loyalty and attitude (the best cheerleader while riding the bench all year) is exceptional.  Very few kids maintain the level of loyalty he has, especially when they see clearly they're not going to be playing the minutes they might have once hoped for.  And having a bench player always enthusiastically cheering on his team sends a signal to anyone else wanting to mope around due to lack of playing time that it's a team-first culture.  It's one of the reasons I love the Reneau pickup...he seems to understand nothing is guaranteed and he'll use the competition to improve his game and make the team better in practices while working tirelessly to move himself up the ladder (if he's not on a starting rung to begin with).

I do think there are some restrictions about a player on an academic scholarship being allowed to be a walk on, though not sure on the exact details. Its think its something along the lines of: if you have been recruited as a potential athletic scholarship player, you have to be counted against the team scholarship limit if you are receiving any financial support from the school. I think it's prevent schools getting around scholarship limits by doing some creative accounting by saying that the money is coming out of a different pool/account than athletic scholarship money.

I think you can still pay your own way, but the vague nature of all this has just created confusion about what is or is not permissible

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

• TJD
  • Race
  • JHS
  • Bates
  • X
  • Dennis
  • Jordan G
  • Malik Reneau
  • Gallo

I certainly hope so. Like "we should be aiming for the Final Four limit" -- especially if we're bringing in guys with one year of eligibility while pulling scholarships from guys who would be around for 2-3 more years. 

If IU gets both Reneau and Dennis, I'm not sure that I see JG staying. I obviously have no inside knowledge, but you've just added a 4/5 and a 3 to the roster. I would see Dennis especially being an issue if JG was given any promises about being given opportunities to play the 3.

Obviously, who knows. But if any of the rumors about JG considering moving closer to home the last 2 years have been true, you've got to wonder if he is considering pulling the trigger this year before May 1st if Dennis commits. Certainly something to look for. 

43 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

• TJD
  • Race
  • JHS
  • Bates
  • X
  • Dennis
  • Jordan G
  • Malik Reneau
  • Gallo

Same...if one of them can really develop into a shooter...

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just say Leal pays his own way and nobody leaves that could cause problems with playing time. Will Kopp be happy from being a starter to maybe being the 12th guy in the rotation.

Or would JG be happy if he can't play the 3, due to many reasons that have been stated here? Then you have to move him to the 4 where you have Race & Malik. Then you also have Dennis, Kopp, Leal all at the 3.

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Thank you. It seems from talking to some, that this has been already discussed with Leal and his family. I don't know that for sure but some boosters are telling me that. He won't be made to leave, he just might have to use NIL money to pay for school. 

And if that scenario would happen to play out, Leal's NIL money might take a sudden jump.  Just thinkin' out loud.

Just now, Chris007 said:

Or would JG be happy if he can't play the 3, due to many reasons that have been stated here? Then you have to move him to the 4 where you have Race & Malik. Then you also have Dennis, Kopp, Leal all at the 3.

I think JG has to accept that if he’s going to transform into a 3. He might have to lose PT for a year 

With each day we draw closer to the May 1, deadline, seems less likely any of our players are going to go portal jumping.   I'll reiterate my earlier statement that I think there's a plan in place and everyone has bought into that plan.

34 minutes ago, Silat Player said:

If IU gets both Reneau and Dennis, I'm not sure that I see JG staying. I obviously have no inside knowledge, but you've just added a 4/5 and a 3 to the roster. I would see Dennis especially being an issue if JG was given any promises about being given opportunities to play the 3.

Obviously, who knows. But if any of the rumors about JG considering moving closer to home the last 2 years have been true, you've got to wonder if he is considering pulling the trigger this year before May 1st if Dennis commits. Certainly something to look for. 

Although, JG has 3 years of eligibility remaining, and Kopp/Dennis/Race would all be gone after next year. Assuming TJD is only back one more year, Reneau is likely to get most of his minutes at the 5 after that. Worst case is JG gets stuck in a minutes log jam this year, but is still a likely front runner for a starting spot at least one of the 3/4 spots his last 2 years.

If we are hoping:

- X and JHS eat up almost all of the guard minutes along with hopefully Tamar
- Dennis and JG play the three
- Race/Malik/JG getting 4 minutes
- TJD getting almost all the five minutes

Where the heck do Kopp/Galloway’s minutes go? I know this is a good problem to have but I am having a hard time seeing more than spot minutes for two guys that got starter minutes most of the year. I don’t think they both drop down to playing scrub minutes but if we are upgrading all these spots maybe it just has to happen that way?

1 minute ago, Hippopotamo said:

Would there be a scenario if TJD returns for him to pay his own way? He’s about to make a ton of money on NIL deals if he sticks around. 

Honestly... out of these scenarios... I believe that one is the most likely knowing RTZ is saying ppl are ponying up for his NIL deal.  

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

With each day we draw closer to the May 1, deadline, seems less likely any of our players are going to go portal jumping.   I'll reiterate my earlier statement that I think there's a plan in place and everyone has bought into that plan.

I sure hope so. Big time college ball is competitive and no one 'deserves' anything they don't earn, so I'm fine with honestly telling players "this is what we see (or don't see) in your future." I do hate the idea of anyone getting cut unless there is a good reason though. Frankly XJ is the most "deserving" of getting the boot, but I don't expect (or want) that to happen, either.

19 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'll reiterate my earlier statement that I think there's a plan in place and everyone has bought into that plan.

I wouldn’t even know what to do with myself if we entered an era of IU basketball where the staff or administration  had ambitious plans and actually executed them without creating a giant embarrassing spectacle. Pinch myself, I guess? 

If Woody accomplishes that he gets an A for the off-season. We’d be entering the summer with as much optimism as any year since  the summer of ‘12. Any more excitement and you’d have to go back to Knight’s heyday and the early 90’s. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Thank you. It seems from talking to some, that this has been already discussed with Leal and his family. I don't know that for sure but some boosters are telling me that. He won't be made to leave, he just might have to use NIL money to pay for school. 

So can we assume that IU's Student Athlete Bill of Rights is dead as a policy?  It would seem so since the second point in it is a four-year scholarship commitment regardless of injury, illness, or perforance.