Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

45 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The roster speculation has made for an interesting couple of weeks in what otherwise would have been a pretty dull period.  IMO, the staff AND the team know how it will all play out if Dennis or McNeil commit.  I don't believe for a minute that Woody would leave the players with that kind of uncertainty especially with the deadline to entering the portal coming up on May 1.  The one thing we know from the Bobby Knight era is the unbelievable loyalty the majority of his players have demonstrated over the years.  Woody seems to be cut from the Knight mold and I believe he too will strive to generate that kind of player loyalty and you don't achieve that by pulling player "x" into your office and handing him a paper bag to clean out his locker.  I don't know what the plan is but I am convinced there is a plan in place.

Well said, and dead on

I like Geronimo and I like Kopp. I also believe that if we are going to contend for a B1G title and ultimately a national title, we need to get better at their positions. I personally don't believe either player would be good enough to get more than mop up minutes on a true contender. If Woodson is recruiting guys in their position, it's for a reason. It's clear that the staff feels the need to upgrade the roster. They want to win now. Not in 2-3 years. Refreshing if you ask me.  

9 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I like Geronimo and I like Kopp. I also believe that if we are going to contend for a B1G title and ultimately a national title, we need to get better at their positions. I personally don't believe either player would be good enough to get more than mop up minutes on a true contender. If Woodson is recruiting guys in their position, it's for a reason. It's clear that the staff feels the need to upgrade the roster. They want to win now. Not in 2-3 years. Refreshing if you ask me.  

At the same time, I believe Dennis and McNeil would not get anything more than mop up minutes on a true national contender.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Without question.

And moreover, the post-season player/staff meetings are very blunt as to the staff's plan for each player going forward.

It is no coincidence that soon after those meetings Lander, Durr, Stewart, and Phin went into the portal. I imagine the meetings with those players in part centered on the staff's estimation of those players' ability to get significant playing time going forward.

"Rob, we love you as a person and a player. You averaged 18.3 minutes per game last season. With new additions to the team, we expect that mpg average to decrease."

"Khristian, you were the third option at point guard last season. If you stay, next season we expect that you will be the fourth option."

"Parker, we expect that your ability to remain in the starting lineup and your minutes per game are likely to significantly decrease going forward. You are welcome to stay and prove us wrong by developing vastly improved athleticism and guard skills. But we asked you to do that last year and we did not see significant progress in those areas."

"Race, we love you as a leader and as a player. We very much hope you stay and continue to be a key part of our team going forward. We hope that NIL opportunities contribute to that, and our team will help to coordinate those opportunities too."

I was thinking more along the lines of:

"Parker.....Parker?  Where is he?  Dude is MIA again."

3 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I'd say that we can move onto McNeil.

I would likely agree.  First visit gets first shot on portal guys, but once it starts going too long I think it is best putting resources elsewhere.  I don't think Dexter Dennis so good that you bypass another player you are looking at while he bides his time.

7 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

At the same time, I believe Dennis and McNeil would not get anything more than mop up minutes on a true national contender.

Dennis has an elite skillset, in his defense. Nothing elite with MK and JG. Maybe you could argue JG's athleticism but no elite skills. 

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Correct about Dennis. People need to get ready for him to announce for IU soon. The staff certainly feels like he is coming. 

WOWOWOWOWOW!  Dropping bombs.  I hate to think who we lose because I feel TJD is coming back.  I really hope it isn't Leal.  I'm not sure i want it to be anybody.  Anxiously awaiting the plan......

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

WOWOWOWOWOW!  Dropping bombs.  I hate to think who we lose because I feel TJD is coming back.  I really hope it isn't Leal.  I'm not sure i want it to be anybody.  Anxiously awaiting the plan......

Some say Kopp, some say Leal pays his own way (some say it's illegal), so say Duncomb since he won't get any playing time if TJD comes back. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Some say Kopp, some say Leal pays his own way (some say it's illegal), so say Duncomb since he won't get any playing time if TJD comes back. 

Those seem like the most obvious choices.  I feel i'm most comfortable with Kopp if it has to be someone, as Dennis most nearly plays that position, and such a recent addition, but I don't love the "feel good" of this one.   Going to get a little messy.  Hope Chemistry stays on point.  

I like the Dennis add and hope it is true. So much more than McNeil who by all accounts is a truly awful defensive player that Huggins had to hide the entire time he was at WVU.

Dennis would give us two elite defensive players (assuming TJD is back) with X as a really good on ball defender. Just hope the roster situation works out and leal doesnt have to leave. 

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Those seem like the most obvious choices.  I feel i'm most comfortable with Kopp if it has to be someone, as Dennis most nearly plays that position, and such a recent addition, but I don't love the "feel good" of this one.   Going to get a little messy.  Hope Chemistry stays on point.  

Kopp could get a waiver since he is being asked to leave. Have they changed the rules because UCONN did this in 2011

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7093399/connecticut-huskies-michael-bradley-chose-give-uconn-scholarship

8 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I do think this is something where Woodson's NBA experience is helpful. Managing team chemistry after departures and new additions is a necessary component of the job in the NBA. A well-liked, productive, and integral player can even be shown the door mid-season, even if they have been with the team for years.

13 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I am not doubting you in the slightest, but how is paying for your own education and suiting up as a walk-on illegal?  Honest question, and hoping you know the answer.  Thanks in advance! 

I, like some others here, would love for Leal to stay (or at least not be asked to leave).  His loyalty and attitude (the best cheerleader while riding the bench all year) is exceptional.  Very few kids maintain the level of loyalty he has, especially when they see clearly they're not going to be playing the minutes they might have once hoped for.  And having a bench player always enthusiastically cheering on his team sends a signal to anyone else wanting to mope around due to lack of playing time that it's a team-first culture.  It's one of the reasons I love the Reneau pickup...he seems to understand nothing is guaranteed and he'll use the competition to improve his game and make the team better in practices while working tirelessly to move himself up the ladder (if he's not on a starting rung to begin with).

1 minute ago, ray said:

I am not doubting you in the slightest, but how is paying for your own education and suiting up as a walk-on illegal?  Honest question, and hoping you know the answer.  Thanks in advance! 

I, like some others here, would love for Leal to stay (or at least not be asked to leave).  His loyalty and attitude (the best cheerleader while riding the bench all year) is exceptional.  Very few kids maintain the level of loyalty he has, especially when they see clearly they're not going to be playing the minutes they might have once hoped for.  And having a bench player always enthusiastically cheering on his team sends a signal to anyone else wanting to mope around due to lack of playing time that it's a team-first culture.  It's one of the reasons I love the Reneau pickup...he seems to understand nothing is guaranteed and he'll use the competition to improve his game and make the team better in practices while working tirelessly to move himself up the ladder (if he's not on a starting rung to begin with).

I know you can't go from athletic scholarship to academic scholarship but after that, I don't know for sure what the rules are. I know his parents for the university so if it's allowed by the NCAA he can get tuition half off. 

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Since we are speculating, if all the chips fell into place a rotation of:

• TJD
  • Race
  • JHS
  • Bates
  • X
  • Dennis
  • Jordan G
  • Malik Reneau
  • Gallo

Sounds pretty freaking incredible to me. Like, "sky's the limit" incredible.

Is Dennis more likely than McNeil ?