Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

5 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It’s just so bizarre and surprising to me to sit here and read people criticizing his D and actually favoring Kopp, it’s so plainly off. Those numbers, clear as they are, will probably just get dismissively disregarded. Kopp is just not a good defender. He does play positional team D, he does give good effort, his reads are good, but he doesn’t have any quickness, laterally he’s poor, has no length, can’t elevate against the 3, can’t stay with a slashing guard / wing, all those things were plainly obvious all year, while he scored at 10th on the team but some still advocate starting him, amazing

To be clear, I was saying I think JG is not a bad perimeter defender. I think he gets lost a little off the ball and that’s why Woody didn’t play him as much as many would like. Without knowing the gameplan and what coach expects that really is just speculation on my part.  

He obviously got better and played more towards the end of the season. I would think with his increased offensive output and continual improvement on the other end, he’ll be awful hard to keep off the floor next year. 

Stewart and Kopp simply have trouble with athleticism at the B1G level. They both compete, tho. We were starved for offense last year so they had to be on the floor a bunch for at least the threat of hitting outside shots and spacing. If guys like Race and JG can maintain their improvement with their outside shot, they will make it much harder for Kopp to see the floor as much as he did last year. 

Xavier-Schifino 

Schifno-Gun-Galloway 

Bates-Kopp-Banks

Reneau -Geronimo- Race (interchangeable but Race will probably start early on season)

TJD-Race-Dunc

Bates can shoot and will continue to get better

12 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Sounds like it’s up to him. Same with McNeil. I honestly think Woodson is trying to get us to be the best we can even if we have to hurt some feelings.

I am all for this. If Indiana wins..nobody is going to remember/care. I'm not the biggest fan of this, but if they feel McNeil or Dennis would be an upgrade...so be it. 

8 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If JG was 'beaten so much on the perimeter', then it makes zero sense that when he was on the court our defense was 5.6 points per 100 possession better than he when he was off.

....and that was the highest rate of ANY player on our team.

With Kopp on the floor, meanwhile, IU was 6.4 points WORSE per 100 possessions on defense than when he was off the floor.

I don’t believe JG’s numbers would closely resemble this if his minutes were 75% of the time at the 3. This is the argument being made. JG is not ready, offensively or defensively to play on the wing. Defensively his best skill was help defender in the paint. He was able to come off his man for a lot of blocks and being in the paint aided his elite rebounding. This is all lost if he plays the wing. I will agree with you that JG as a defender at the 4 is a better defender than Kopp at the 3. But I think it becomes a lot closer than you might want to admit if JG is defending the 3. 

53 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

I don’t believe JG’s numbers would closely resemble this if his minutes were 75% of the time at the 3. This is the argument being made. JG is not ready, offensively or defensively to play on the wing. Defensively his best skill was help defender in the paint. He was able to come off his man for a lot of blocks and being in the paint aided his elite rebounding. This is all lost if he plays the wing. I will agree with you that JG as a defender at the 4 is a better defender than Kopp at the 3. But I think it becomes a lot closer than you might want to admit if JG is defending the 3. 

But the argument that's been made isn't that 'it's a lot closer'.  The argument presented is that JG can't guard the perimeter.  And statistically if he can't guard the perimeter, that will show up in the defensive statistical numbers....maybe not as much as being the full time 3, but the narrative I've seen her of him 'getting burned consistently on the perimeter' is certainly an easy one to expose a 4 with pick and rolls.....certainly enough that he wouldn't have the best defensive on court numbers of anyone on the team.  Opposing coaches aren't stupid.  If JG was as deficient as some people think he is on the perimeter, they would find a way to expose it and it would show up in the stats.

8 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It’s just so bizarre and surprising to me to sit here and read people criticizing his D and actually favoring Kopp, it’s so plainly off. Those numbers, clear as they are, will probably just get dismissively disregarded. Kopp is just not a good defender. He does play positional team D, he does give good effort, his reads are good, but he doesn’t have any quickness, laterally he’s poor, has no length, can’t elevate against the 3, can’t stay with a slashing guard / wing, all those things were plainly obvious all year, while he scored at 10th on the team but some still advocate starting him, amazing

And on cue, they were dismissed.

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

To be clear, I was saying I think JG is not a bad perimeter defender. I think he gets lost a little off the ball and that’s why Woody didn’t play him as much as many would like. Without knowing the gameplan and what coach expects that really is just speculation on my part.  

He obviously got better and played more towards the end of the season. I would think with his increased offensive output and continual improvement on the other end, he’ll be awful hard to keep off the floor next year. 

Stewart and Kopp simply have trouble with athleticism at the B1G level. They both compete, tho. We were starved for offense last year so they had to be on the floor a bunch for at least the threat of hitting outside shots and spacing. If guys like Race and JG can maintain their improvement with their outside shot, they will make it much harder for Kopp to see the floor as much as he did last year. 

Wasn't meant to be directed to you str8

17 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Who knew that JG playing the wing would be more polarizing than Dane Fife.

If he can develop a game off the bounce, increase his shooting percentages, and prove he can handle the ball on the perimeter then I'm all for it.

I like him at the "4" for the time being. That being said, he has all off-season to develop. It's not impossible to see him develop some wing abilities. 

Could it be that everyone is envisioning JG from this past season and projecting that JG to next years team? Out of all of our players he has shown he can develop his game with that jumper and athleticism. He has a whole summer to develop further. I think it’s reasonable to say he can play the 3. 

At the end of the day I think Malik is right. He’s ready for competition. I’m guessing most of us agree that Malik will get more minutes than Durr ever did. That’s fewer front court minutes to go around. JG has a significantly greater opportunity to seize minutes at the 3 than to gain any additional minutes at the 4 (assuming TJD is back). And if he does that and he is a threat at the 3, well that type of improvement might make us a final four caliber team. But that will take a lot of improvement in many areas but it’s not a 0% chance. 

1 minute ago, ib4iu said:

At the end of the day I think Malik is right. He’s ready for competition. I’m guessing most of us agree that Malik will get more minutes than Durr ever did. That’s fewer front court minutes to go around. JG has a significantly greater opportunity to seize minutes at the 3 than to gain any additional minutes at the 4 (assuming TJD is back). And if he does that and he is a threat at the 3, well that type of improvement might make us a final four caliber team. But that will take a lot of improvement in many areas but it’s not a 0% chance. 

4ppg to taking us to a F4 is one heckuva jump. I'm here for it! 

39 minutes ago, cthomas said:

That's a whole lot of "ifs". I guess we could say similar things about everyone on the roster. Speculation is fun, but I suspect the players will sort all of this out over the next few months.

Thankfully we should have a better picture of what the roster will look like here in about ten days. IF a player wants to transfer and play immediately, they must do so by May 1. If you haven't, take a listen to the Assembly Call's most recent podcast on Malik. Thought they brought up a good point. IF McNeil or Dennis commit, what will most likely happen is an IU player will put his name in the portal. If Trayce leaves, they'll come back to IU. If he returns, they will go somewhere else. My opinion-I'm okay with Kopp being the one...Also saw where Rabjohns said he could probably get a waiver to play right away if he wanted to. (Since he is not a grad transfer he would have to sit). On a side note I think I heard on the Field of 68 yesterday that draft combine invites will go out soon. If Trayce doesn't get an invite, that should pretty much confirm he is coming back. That being said, I'd have to think he gets at least an invite. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Thankfully we should have a better picture of what the roster will look like here in about ten days. IF a player wants to transfer and play immediately, they must do so by May 1. If you haven't, take a listen to the Assembly Call's most recent podcast on Malik. Thought they brought up a good point. IF McNeil or Dennis commit, what will most likely happen is an IU player will put his name in the portal. If Trayce leaves, they'll come back to IU. If he returns, they will go somewhere else. My opinion-I'm okay with Kopp being the one...Also saw where Rabjohns said he could probably get a waiver to play right away if he wanted to. (Since he is not a grad transfer he would have to sit). 

If Kopp is the one, I don't think that will be helpful to TJD's decision. I can't help but think his decision to return would become harder if it meant kicking his good friend off the team. (for all intents and purposes)

1 minute ago, HoosierX said:

If Kopp is the one, I don't think that will be helpful to TJD's decision. I can't help but think his decision to return would become harder if it meant kicking his good friend off the team. (for all intents and purposes)

I'm starting to think we don't have to worry about it though...I'm not 100% sure we get Dennis or McNeil. Unlike the previous staff though, I trust this one (so far) to do what is best for the team. 

21 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

The roster speculation has made for an interesting couple of weeks in what otherwise would have been a pretty dull period.  IMO, the staff AND the team know how it will all play out if Dennis or McNeil commit.  I don't believe for a minute that Woody would leave the players with that kind of uncertainty especially with the deadline to entering the portal coming up on May 1.  The one thing we know from the Bobby Knight era is the unbelievable loyalty the majority of his players have demonstrated over the years.  Woody seems to be cut from the Knight mold and I believe he too will strive to generate that kind of player loyalty and you don't achieve that by pulling player "x" into your office and handing him a paper bag to clean out his locker.  I don't know what the plan is but I am convinced there is a plan in place.