Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

1 hour ago, jk34 said:

I believe the scouting report caught up with him towards the end of the season. The driving lanes weren't as wide, which caused his increase in turnovers. 

One thing about Galloway IMO is he finds a way to get himself on the court.  19.6 minutes as a freshman, 20.8 minutes as a sophomore....all without being able to shoot.

21 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Sounds like it’s up to him. Same with McNeil. I honestly think Woodson is trying to get us to be the best we can even if we have to hurt some feelings.

Which is fair and at this stage the guys that would be leaving would be Archie’s recruits so won’t appear to bad in the grand scheme of things.  

23 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Sounds like it’s up to him. Same with McNeil. I honestly think Woodson is trying to get us to be the best we can even if we have to hurt some feelings.

The way it should be, imho. If Woody fails, the fact that he was nice and kept good ole Indiana boys like Leal (or whoever would be replaced) around won’t save him. Archie seemed to almost exclusively recruit Indiana kids and he got fired because he sucked. Build the best team you can so you can win as many games as you can. If you piss some people off in the process, oh well. 

I think the main discussion is will be lose JG because there is no time at the 4 available and because he would have to play the 3 and there’s disagreement about whether he can do that. But another important factor is whether or not JG is willing to work on the things he needs to work on even if it means less playing time for a bit. Hes going to have to become a 3 to ever have a shot at the NBA.  Maybe he’s willing to take the hit and do the work. And won’t leave just because we bring in somebody more ready than him right now 

2 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I want IU to shoot better than it has since the Miller era started just like everyone. But one reason I’m less concerned about personnel is I have some confidence shooting can be developed

Absolutely, watch a guy’s form, watch how he shoots FTs, watch his footwork and lift. I often go back to Vic bc of his massive improvement to his jr year of plus 40, on volume, from shooting in the 20s, and all the debates i had with guys who said he was not a shooter and never would be. The form was there, the work ethic was there, the footwork was there, but guys like to label people and fail to see the likely development. We have guys who can develop into strong shooters, i’d be surprised if Bates isn’t one of them. 

On top of that, really need to consider the other things guys bring, running out to grab a shooter at the risk of losing a guy like JG for examp to me would be just stupid. The guy kills the glass, blocks all over the place, defends nasty, has monster upside and already shows a good stroke on the trey.

Or consider a guy like Wat. There were actually people talking about how it would be good if he transferred his soph year, gave him silly labels for his D, called him soft. How’d that turn out? Thank God we didn’t have the portal then

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would be interested in your analysis that makes you think JG is a good perimeter defender?

I've had this conversation several times with @btownqb and we can both speak on exactly where he struggles and why he isn't as of now. 

It really depends on what you’re looking at. To me he’s perfectly serviceable as a perimeter defender on the ball, with the potential to be really good. 

He gets lost off the ball more than any player on the team, and is the main reason he didn’t play more. 

16 minutes ago, str8baller said:

It really depends on what you’re looking at. To me he’s perfectly serviceable as a perimeter defender on the ball, with the potential to be really good. 

He gets lost off the ball more than any player on the team, and is the main reason he didn’t play more. 

And last year we had just a serviceable defender playing the 3 and a really weak defender at shooting guard starting.....and we had a top 25 defense.  

The truth is that if you can't find a way to get JG on the floor more than 13 minutes per game last year, he should leave.....because he's better than that.  And he'll show exactly that somewhere else.

2 hours ago, lillurk said:

I want IU to shoot better than it has since the Miller era started just like everyone. But one reason I’m less concerned about personnel is I have some confidence shooting can be developed

And it can be rediscovered.  Tamar Bates is a really good shooter, despite his freshman season.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

58 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

And last year we had just a serviceable defender playing the 3 and a really weak defender at shooting guard starting.....and we had a top 25 defense.  

The truth is that if you can't find a way to get JG on the floor more than 13 minutes per game last year, he should leave.....because he's better than that.  And he'll show exactly that somewhere else.

100% agree with str8.  

JG gets absolutely lost too many times defending on the perimeter.  I said as much earlier in the season on here when he wasn’t playing much and got roasted for it and pretty much called a JG hater.  Their was a reason he wasn’t playing much.  

Kopp is by far a better team defender.  He gets a lot of deflections and knows where he is supposed to be and if you have been to a game he is always talking. He will get beat some by superior athletes but I can live with that.  We were a very good defensive team last year with Kopp playing a lot of minutes.  JG has the potential to lock his man up one on one but off the ball he struggles.

I don’t want to see JG at the 3.  Offensively he doesn’t have the handle and on the defensive end is where the problem really is especially off ball and as a help defender.  He needs to stay at the 4 where he is better suited.  I loved how he played at the end of the season but he is not a starter on this team.

For me it’s pretty clear cut and really no question.

1 - X

2 - JHS

3 - Kopp

4 - Race

5 - TJD

If JG was 'beaten so much on the perimeter', then it makes zero sense that when he was on the court our defense was 5.6 points per 100 possession better than he when he was off.

....and that was the highest rate of ANY player on our team.

With Kopp on the floor, meanwhile, IU was 6.4 points WORSE per 100 possessions on defense than when he was off the floor.