Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I don't really see any sort of an advantage that JG could create on the perimeter at this point in time because he hasn't shown even the remote resemblance of a perimeter game... on the offensive or defensive end. Blocks shots and dunks well though. 

Sorry, but that's flat out incorrect.  JG shot 46% on mid range jumpers and 31% from three.  46% on mid range jumpers (two point shots outside of the lane) lead the team.  31% from three isn't great but saying he has 'no resemblance of a perimeter game' is patently false.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Sorry, but that's flat out incorrect.  JG shot 46% on mid range jumpers and 31% from three.  46% on mid range jumpers (two point shots outside of the lane) lead the team.  31% from three isn't great but saying he has 'no resemblance of a perimeter game' is patently false.

He hit 9 3s all year long. You can use %s all you want, but he has hit 13s at the college level. 

You also understand there is way more to the perimeter game than his shooting %. He doesn't distribute or create, and he doesn't defend well on the perimeter, so.... yeah, he hasn't shown much of a perimeter game, at all. 

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You seriously don't see how a midrange game translates to a 3?????

To the 3 position. Idk how him having the marginal ability to hit some mid range shots, makes him a wing. It doesn't. It makes him exactly what he is... an undersized 4. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I agree with all of this, actually. He fouls too many jumpshooters, but that can be corrected. I think he is an immensely bigger asset and mistmatch at the 4, than he ever would be at the 3. 

This is a good point that I think is also getting overlooked in this discussion. 

While the point is made that he has been played at the 4 not the 3 therefore he isn't/can't play on the wing (with which I wholeheartedly disagree), the flip side of that argument, with which I agree, is that he is an already very good and improving 4 who can be absolutely dominant -- and the question there, which I think the staff considers, is not who else can play on the wing, but who can play JG's current role when Race sits? JG is right there with TJD in rebounding and shot blocking (he actually leads per 40 in boards). So who fills the 4 role on significant minutes if JG is on the wing while Race sits? That, to me, is why he hasn't been played more on the wing, not because he doesn't have the ability.

9 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

This is a good point that I think is also getting overlooked in this discussion. 

While the point is made that he has been played at the 4 not the 3 therefore he isn't/can't play on the wing (with which I wholeheartedly disagree), the flip side of that argument, with which I agree, is that he is an already very good and improving 4 who can be absolutely dominant -- and the question there, which I think the staff considers, is not who else can play on the wing, but who can play JG's current role when Race sits? JG is right there with TJD in rebounding and shot blocking (he actually leads per 40 in boards). So who fills the 4 role on significant minutes if JG is on the wing while Race sits? That, to me, is why he hasn't been played more on the wing, not because he doesn't have the ability.

But if that is how the staff is viewing it, which i don't think they are, why are they recruiting 2 more wings right now and not a replacement 4 for JG's role there?

The staff is/has shown you what they think with their actions by only ever playing him at the wing in a game where half the team was suspended (again, on a team that desperately needed better wing play), and continuing to recruit wings and not bigs. 

At least to this point, the staff has shown no indication with their actions that they're trying to move JG to the wing. 

Just to be clear, I'm a JG fan. I think he has the opportunity to be a great small/stretch 4 at this level. He literally just got comfortable in that role, which he is clearly best suited for, and now want to push him somewhere else?

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

But if that is how the staff is viewing it, which i don't think they are, why are they recruiting 2 more wings right now and not a replacement 4 for JG's role there?

The staff is/has shown you what they think with their actions by only ever playing him at the wing in a game where half the team was suspended (again, on a team that desperately needed better wing play), and continuing to recruit wings and not bigs. 

At least to this point, the staff has shown no indication with their actions that they're trying to move JG to the wing. 

Just to be clear, I'm a JG fan. I think he has the opportunity to be a great small/stretch 4 at this level. He literally just got comfortable in that role, which he is clearly best suited for, and now want to push him somewhere else?

They are recruiting two options, but for one more wing slot. 

I wonder who that wing addition would replace on the roster. Right now we have five wings on the roster: Bates, Banks, Gunn, Leal, and Kopp. 

Galloway doesn't shoot well enough to play the wing, I'd call him, JHS, and X ball-handlers/points. Race, TJD, Duncomb, and Reneau are bigs. 

With that roster, we have three rotation-ready bigs, three rotation-ready ball-handlers, and two rotation-ready wings. If Kopp is the player slated to drop? That leaves us short on wings and it'd be that much better if JG can work on becoming one when needed.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I wonder who that wing addition would replace on the roster. Right now we have five wings on the roster: Bates, Banks, Gunn, Leal, and Kopp. 

Galloway doesn't shoot well enough to play the wing, I'd call him, JHS, and X ball-handlers/points. Race, TJD, Duncomb, and Reneau are bigs. 

With that roster, we have three rotation-ready bigs, three rotation-ready ball-handlers, and two rotation-ready wings. If Kopp is the player slated to drop? That leaves us short on wings and it'd be that much better if JG can work on becoming one when needed.

You can consider Galloway in the ball handler rotation, but outside of the NW game I'm pretty sure he always played with at least XJ or Phinisee on the court with him. So he's a wing. 

Let's simplify it even more. Backcourt (guards and wings)/front court (forwards/bigs). 

The backcourt/wing guys are:

XJ

JHS

Bates

Galloway

Kopp

Gunn

Leal

(Recruiting at least one more)

Frontcourt:

TJD

Race

JG

Reneau 

Banks

Duncomb

(Recruiting no more additions and maybe losing TJD)

By the way, I look forward to having this debate again next offseason over Banks :) (all in good fun).

Edit: Also, if JG is a wing shouldn't that one slot that we're recruiting be his and we should be recruiting another forward/big to replace that role?

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You can consider Galloway in the ball handler rotation, but outside of the NW game I'm pretty sure he always played with at least XJ or Phinisee on the court with him. So he's a wing. 

Let's simplify it even more. Backcourt (guards and wings)/front court (forwards/bigs). 

The backcourt/wing guys are:

XJ

JHS

Bates

Galloway

Kopp

Gunn

Leal

(Recruiting at least one more)

Frontcourt:

TJD

Race

JG

Banks

Duncomb

(Recruiting no more additions)

By the way, I look forward to having this debate again next offseason over Banks :) (all in good fun).

I was getting ready to say something about Banks, as well. Assumed we could for sure wait to have that debate haha

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Other than the staff recruiting and landing the best available 4 out there in Reneau…

55 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Other than the staff recruiting and landing the best available 4 out there in Reneau…

So Reneau is replacing JG, Durr and potentially TJD in the forward/big rotation?

So our forward/bigs would be Race, Reneau, Duncomb, Banks and maybe TJD?

And our perimeter (guards/wings) players would be XJ, JHS, Galloway, Bates, Kopp, JG, Leal, Gunn and potentially Davis/McNeil?

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I have an idea who that person would replace but I mentioned it the other day and it didn't go over well. But no need to worry for now. Rumor is IU pushed for DD to commit and he didn't so we'll see how McNeil goes this weekend. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have an idea who that person would replace but I mentioned it the other day and it didn't go over well. But no need to worry for now. Rumor is IU pushed for DD to commit and he didn't so we'll see how McNeil goes this weekend. 

I think I missed that. Who did you say?

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

So Reneau's a clear 4 coming in, they recruited him, Banks is really a 4 isn't he?, another recruitment. In any event though we were talking about last season, re your comments why didn't they play JG on the wing, at least as relevant is the fairly obvious point that they didn't have a player to take on the 4 in any meaningful minutes if JG was on the wing and Race was sitting. Kind of important to your assumptions about what the staff was showing us, no? Come on now Gleas, you argue but you're not acknowledging anything that goes against what you want to argue -- that JG was the only real option at the 4 other than Race, and more importantly was developing really well there, best rebounder and right there in blocks with TJD. That JG has all the tools to develop into a wing player, length, wingspan, athletic (uber), quickness, developing and really already demonstrated outside shot, defensive tenacity. That OG is now a pro SF, same deal, lots of similarities in their college games. I think we're arguing past each other now, which strikes me as kind of odd since we all love what JG brings to the team regardless, but it'd be kind of cool if you'd at least acknowledging some things you know :)

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

FWIW, he played 56 minutes last year when without X, Phin, or Lander on the court.  37 of the minutes as a primary handler were in the NW game.  I believe the other 19 minutes came in the stretch where Phin was hurt.