Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

19 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

Until the 4 transfer due to lack of playing time. Do you think the days of sitting on the bench for 3 years, and working your butt off in practice, while hoping that you play a little your senior year are over? I do understand what you are saying, just wondering if that thinking has now passed us by?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

Then let them transfer.  But the hope is they develop and earn PT in their later seasons 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I have no idea what people are seeing when they say that Kopp is a better wing defender than JG.  JG not playing the 3 has nothing to do with his ability to defend.  Miller gets beat off the dribble quite often and doesn't have the foot speed to stay with 3's once he's beat.  Being a willing defender doesn't make you a good defender.  Kopp was willing but at best an average defender.  And give JG any a minute amount of experience there and he's worlds better than Kopp.

What JG lacks in experience defensively at the three he makes up for in athleticism.  When he's beaten off the dribble, he has the catch up speed and length to make up space.  Kopp can't.

In terms of rebounding, yes, he would lose some  rebounds moving to the 3 but at 6'6" he was bringing in rebounds at a greater rate than Race and TJD were.  It wasn't just about him being a 4 that was brought in rebounds.  Athletes pull in rebounds regardless of position....the guy that we aren't potentially bringing in -- Dexter Dennis -- averaged 5 rebounds per game.  Kopp killed us there, pulling in just 2 1/2 per game.

The issue is ball handling and shooting.  It's not defense.

Honestly it’s just about positional understanding with JG, that really should be obvious to anyone critiquing his perimeter D. He started bball late, he came to IU still raw despite making big leaps in his game in NH and getting late recruiting bc of it. He has all the tools and i think everyone here agrees made big strides his soph year in positioning, defensive reads, and play around the basket/rebounding along with elite shot blocking. But perimeter D includes switches, understanding offensive sets initiated up top, reacting to inside out and p & r / p & p, and playing almost entirely the 4 for Race his lack of experience at the college wing showed —

But it’s crazy to me to talk about him as a poor perimeter defender without even bothering to note any of that. His lateral quickness, length, speed, defensive tenacity generally (exceptional), timing on blocks - including, hello, 3-pointers, is clear. A guy like Kopp has literally none of that, none. What Kopp has is experience on the wing for defensive reads. His effort also is good. But zero speed, athleticism, length, hops etc. On a Crean team JG would’ve gotten a ton of time early and i would bet a million it would’ve included wing play. So CAM was just awful, and Woodson required experience and proven defensive progress before real time, acknowledged that his assistants were yelling at him in a game to put JG in, and he then dominated, then later said in the tourney that he “discovered” a guy on his bench in JG and played him extensively (finally) and golly, JG was outstanding in the tourney. He is primed to have a major role as he should next season, and i’d bank on dominant offensive showings from him whether he’s playing a traditional 4 (would like to see that with Race) or on the “wing”

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll leave it at this (until I get sucked in again :)

If Jordan Geronimo was a wing, he would have at least gotten some wing minutes the last two seasons.

If he was a wing, he would have gotten wing minutes on two teams that desperately needed better wing talent, and he never even got a look on the wing. 

If JG is a wing, and his coach thought he was a wing, why is his coach still  recruiting two more wings? If TJD leaves, we lost Durr, and if JG is all of the sudden a wing out of  nowhere, and we only replaced three bigs with Reneau, then why are we still recruiting wings?

This debate is Justin Smith, OG, Troy Williams and Watford all over again. 

He is an undersized 4 with great athletic ability. He won’t be a wing here or anywhere else he plays. Not his skill set.

Just now, Alford Bailey said:

He is an undersized 4 with great athletic ability. He won’t be a wing here or anywhere else he plays. Not his skill set.

Completely agree!

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If Jordan Geronimo was a wing, he would have at least gotten some wing minutes the last two seasons.

If he was a wing, he would have gotten wing minutes on two teams that desperately needed better wing talent, and he never even got a look on the wing. 

If JG is a wing, and his coach thought he was a wing, why is his coach still  recruiting two more wings? If TJD leaves, we lost Durr, and if JG is all of the sudden a wing out of  nowhere, and we only replaced three bigs with Reneau, then why are we still recruiting wings?

"Wing" is such a catch all phrase that it's started to lose its meaning.  Not all wings are the same.  McNeil is a shooting guard.  And if you go with the assumption that if the coach thinks it's correct, therefore it is correct, then I assume you agree with the putting in of five bench players at once + Stewart and Kopp getting 50 minutes per game and starting all year.

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

"Wing" is such a catch all phrase that it's started to lose its meaning.  Not all wings are the same.  McNeil is a shooting guard.  And if you go with the assumption that if the coach thinks it's correct, therefore it is correct, then I assume you agree with the putting in of five bench players at once + Stewart and Kopp getting 50 minutes per game and starting all year.

It’s just silly. Similar to the guys who said Lander should be playing. Geronimo has played for 2 coaches and neither thought he was wing/3 material.

26 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

It’s just silly. Similar to the guys who said Lander should be playing. Geronimo has played for 2 coaches and neither thought he was wing/3 material.

Also for all we know, both coaches were working with JG in practice (surprising concept for some) on things that would prepare him to more effectively play the 3 and he just wasn't fully picking those things up. In which case, playing experience in real games won't really get him up to speed either.

34 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

He is late to the game in general. He can play the 3 if the staff plays him there. When he arrived at IU he wasn’t much of a basketball player at all, could have walked out onto the football field and had just as much success. 
he’s a high ceiling work in progress. He needs to go wherever the staff is committed to him developing at the 3. He has the chance to make professional money at the 3 whether that be in the nba or overseas but not as likely at the 4

Extremely solid points. If you ask me, there is no debate

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I hope I’m wrong and JG makes a major leap. Plays huge minutes. 2nd leading scorer behind TJD. Shoots 35%+ from 3. But like others have said we waited for these types of improvements from the ultra athletic 6’6-6’7 guy. Troy Williams never greatly improved his handle or shot. Justin Smith never greatly improved his handle or shot. OG you could see it happening and he’s gone. There are way more Justin Smiths and Troy Williams than there are OG’s. Hopefully Woody does get JG to be more OG than JS or TW. I’m just tired of waiting for the ultra athletic guy to put it all together. It rarely happens if they don’t already have the skill before college. And for the record I like JG more than others on the roster. He’s just the only current player who has previously mentioned anything about transferring. 

3 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

I hope I’m wrong and JG makes a major leap. Plays huge minutes. 2nd leading scorer behind TJD. Shoots 35%+ from 3. But like others have said we waited for these types of improvements from the ultra athletic 6’6-6’7 guy. Troy Williams never greatly improved his handle or shot. Justin Smith never greatly improved his handle or shot. OG you could see it happening and he’s gone. There are way more Justin Smiths and Troy Williams than there are OG’s. Hopefully Woody does get JG to be more OG than JS or TW. I’m just tired of waiting for the ultra athletic guy to put it all together. It rarely happens if they don’t already have the skill before college. And for the record I like JG more than others on the roster. He’s just the only current player who has previously mentioned anything about transferring. 

At the end of the day we have to count on Woodson to be Better at molding a kid than Crean and Archie.  I’m pretty sure he could handle that on zoom kind of a low bar 

7 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

I'll disagree with you on Troy Williams, he developed a lot. He was the 2nd leading scorer, tied for team lead in rebounding and shot 35% from 3 on a Big Ten Title team that went to the Sweet Sixteen. 

Also, OG was developing nicely before his knee injury. 

But, both guys played the college 4, where they belonged. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yes, and thank you. CMW knows what he is looking at in terms of who can play where. If he doesn't use JG on the wing there is probably a good reason why. Because we want him to be something doesn't mean he is. Maybe he can develop those skills, but right now the coaching staff doesn't think he has them. Therefore we are still recruiting for the position. I love his potential at the four. We saw a glimpse of what he can do there toward the end of the season and it was pretty impressive. I think the best approach heading into his third year is to maximize what he does best and not to try to transform him into something he isn't.

11 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I don’t know but he hasn’t overtly said he is staying like others have. I hope he stays but if he really wants minutes this year (I have no idea if he is willing to put in 1,2 or 3 more years to get minutes) he might not see an opening if TJD and Race stay and with the addition of Malik (I know he is a 4 but he could possibly get some time on the court with Race at the 5 (ie instead of DL). On the other hand he might love IU and having the time of his life.

You did it again! 

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think we could have a better situation with the 13th scholarship, if that's what we're calling it, then Anthony Leal. 

Local kid, works his butt off, plays incredibly hard when he gets in, moves the ball incredibly well when he plays, and literally never complains about playing time or anything. 

It's infinitely better to have that, as opposed to a malcontent that pissed off about playing time on the end of the bench. 

I'm not advocating getting rid of Leal or anyone, just when people make a point to say there's no need to replace the 13th player because they don't play anyway.  We're not trying to recruit a new #13 but someone better than that. it's not trying to replace Priller with Hoetzel.