Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

5 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Do you know that he's saying that to the coaching staff and they are begging him to stay? Or is it all just message board fodder? Last year he did put his name into the portal along with 1/2 the team since his coach was fired and at that time his family wanted him closer to home. It's probable that they still want that but is it known that JG is thinking of leaving? He hasn't entered the portal this season.

I just know he initially said he would be back, after the St. Mary's game then he walked that back after talking with his family

2 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

I saw that the Hoosier Fann person is forecasting/predicting that TJD will make his decision relatively soon. Even as soon as tonight. I don’t usually like to follow those type of people on Twitter but he has gotten a few things right recently. 

Is that a twitter guy? can you post his handle? 

3 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

We wouldn't be trading the 13th for a planned 10-13 type player. If we got a new player at the expense of a current player, they would be expected to be in the rotation.

Then that would push a current rotation players down to the 11-13 slot who won't be happy about it.  If you are needing a rotation player then replace a current rotation player who is not playing well.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think we could have a better situation with the 13th scholarship, if that's what we're calling it, then Anthony Leal. 

Local kid, works his butt off, plays incredibly hard when he gets in, moves the ball incredibly well when he plays, and literally never complains about playing time or anything. 

It's infinitely better to have that, as opposed to a malcontent that pissed off about playing time on the end of the bench. 

Agree

Put me in the camp that thinks we don't skip a beat if JG leaves the team. If he wants to be close to home then so be it. I think he has high ceiling but I'm not convinced he's going to reach it here. He also has a floor that hes capable of reaching too. He played absolutely awful in some games where he got plenty of mins. If you held a gun to my head and told me to pick between Dexter Dennis and JG, Im taking Dennis all day long. I don't think his jumper looks all that bad and we really need a lockdown wing defender. If Xavier Johnson can improve his shooting from 3 with the form he has, then so can Dennis, imho. 

Clearly the staff knows something that we don't, as they are actively recruiting Dennis and McNeil. I have the sneaking suspicion that LD and JG are going to bounce. 

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think we could have a better situation with the 13th scholarship, if that's what we're calling it, then Anthony Leal. 

Local kid, works his butt off, plays incredibly hard when he gets in, moves the ball incredibly well when he plays, and literally never complains about playing time or anything. 

It's infinitely better to have that, as opposed to a malcontent that pissed off about playing time on the end of the bench. 

I agree with this 100%. Stack as much talent as possible 1-9 and have guys like Leal at the end of the bench helping to support the team and maintaining a positive culture. Recipe for success. 

44 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Put me in the camp that thinks we don't skip a beat if JG leaves the team. If he wants to be close to home then so be it. I think he has high ceiling but I'm not convinced he's going to reach it here. He also has a floor that hes capable of reaching too. He played absolutely awful in some games where he got plenty of mins. If you held a gun to my head and told me to pick between Dexter Dennis and JG, Im taking Dennis all day long. I don't think his jumper looks all that bad and we really need a lockdown wing defender. If Xavier Johnson can improve his shooting from 3 with the form he has, then so can Dennis, imho. 

Clearly the staff knows something that we don't, as they are actively recruiting Dennis and McNeil. I have the sneaking suspicion that LD and JG are going to bounce. 

The ones that are most adamant about wanting JG to stay are those mostly wishcasting him at the 3 spot, hoping he takes minutes from Kopp.  For JG to play over Kopp, he'll need to develop an entirely new skillset, whereas Dennis just needs to get his 3 point shooting up to where it was before this past season (Dennis was a 36% career 3 point shooter before this past season).

I agree with this 100%. Stack as much talent as possible 1-9 and have guys like Leal at the end of the bench helping to support the team and maintaining a positive culture. Recipe for success. 
I don't know.....the college game has changed. Get as much talent as possible with all 13. We saw what it looked like when we were 5 players down at NW. If practices are packed with talent, it just makes everyone better. However, someone has to be the worst out of 13. Maybe LD is the better example of this than Leal. LD didn't even play in that game at NW.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This has been referenced a fair amount... why was the NW a game LD should have played? We still had our top 3 front court guys in that game. 

When Michael Penix got hurt in football we didnt substitute the best LBer in for him... we used the next QB. 

LD didn't play in that game because he wasn't needed anymore in that one, then he was the rest of the games. The players ahead of him still played. 

Yep, both Race and TJD came close if not surpassed their minutes in the NW game several times this year and JG was fine making up the remaining minutes . The biggest issues in that game were the inability of Kopp/Leal to produce, and JG proving he isn't a 3. LD would have only been needed in case of foul trouble with Race/TJD

8 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

Yep, both Race and TJD came close if not surpassed their minutes in the NW game several times this year and JG was fine making up the remaining minutes . The biggest issues in that game were the inability of Kopp/Leal to produce, and JG proving he isn't a 3. LD would have only been needed in case of foul trouble with Race/TJD

Yes, there was actually less of a chance of him playing against NW then the other games, imo. 

8 minutes ago, PB1230 said:

I was three rows up for that game, and our team was gassed with about 8 minutes to go.  TJD was especially gassed - at one point Kopp was screaming at him to come over to the huddle and he could barely muster more than a slow jog. I don't know whether Duncomb should have played, but conditioning was absolutely a factor.

I keep seeing claims that JG wasn’t a 3 last year which is fine it’s true. But can we at least admit he has the raw athletic ability to do it?  Which means he can be turned into one with 8 months of work.  

This isn’t like Crean trying to use Morgan as a point forward JG is close he’s just got some stuff he needs to work on. And if he ever wants to go to the nba he’s going to need to work on those things. That can be a good motivator 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

But can we at least admit he has the raw athletic ability to do it?  Which means he can be turned into one with 8 months of work.  

Yes, he has the raw talent. But he doesn't have the the shooting or ball handling skills to play the 3. Is it possible he could acquire those skills between now and when the season starts? Possible, yes. Likely? Probably not. That is a short period of time to acquire skills most players work on for years. We'll see. I'm sure the coaches are willing to give him a shot at it.