Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

2 hours ago, hoosierbgh said:

I doubt the cheerleading squad will help all that much if the coaching staff burns bridges with Indiana high school coaches by running players like Leal off. There's a balance that must be maintained between doing anything/everything to win and taking care of players. I do wonder though if Leal would end up coming out way ahead with NIL deals if he decided to pay his own way. I don't think that is even remotely likely and I'm not sure it is even possible either. 

I thought about the "pay his own way" angle yesterday. I'm not sure if you're allowed to go from scholarship player to walk-on.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

You could have just quoted me. 

100%, it's not that close if you watched closely. JG consistently gets lost on the perimeter, loses his man, gets blown by and struggles with the rotation. 

He's a phenomenal weak-side defender/shot blocker and is strong in the post despite his lack of height, but struggles when switched out on perimeter defenders. 

Kopp, while lacking some foot speed is a very smart and fundamental defender. 

All true. Plus, he really struggles to stay frontal against dribble drive  because he just doesn’t trust his footwork at all.  So he gets handsy and commits cheap fouls. 

10 hours ago, str8baller said:

Galloway and Geronimo are good players. They’ll be in their second year of the system and do a lot of things besides score. Trying to replace guys like that with shiny new thing is a fools errand in more ways than one. 

It’s funny you don’t mention Kopp who is the only one of three proven to be a starter at this level. Galloway and Geronimo have benefited from playing on a less talented roster. Both go in to their 3rd season with glaring weaknesses and now must compete against real talent.

16 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

Does anyone close to the program know who the staff is favoring between Dennis & McNeil?

I personally would love to add Dennis.

I believe it was Dennis last week. That was before the Malik add. Not sure that changed anything. 

14 hours ago, HoosierDYT said:

I know it’s not binary, but I’ll say this - I’d rather have Anthony Leal than Dexter Dennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis was the defensive player of the year in the AAC. He can guard positions 1-4. He can totally shut someone down. Leal is never going to be higher than the 11th guy on the roster and that is OK.

28 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The “burning bridges with Indiana high school coaches” stuff is overblown. Woody didn’t recruit Leal. Through two years at IU he hasn’t shown an ability to contribute at this level. If you have the chance to substitute someone like Sean McNeil for an end of the bench guy like Leal, you take it. If it makes Leal’s high school coach mad, who cares? How many times do we recruit players from his high school? 

Woody has a top 5 recruiting class, only 1 of the players is from Indiana, and he’s by far the lowest ranking player in the class. There’s nothing special in the water at Indiana high schools. Indiana players are far less important when you can recruit nationally and land 5 star recruits from prep schools across the country. That’s the route Woody’s trying to take. 

Maybe, maybe not. Either way running Leal off is still really shortsighted and not the most likely scenario. 

I don't really care where recruits come from as long as they buy in but eventually Woody is going to want and need top talent from Indiana regardless of where else he's getting recruits. Overlooking talent close to home because he's having success elsewhere is again shortsighted. It's not all or nothing. 

I guess I'm the only one who looks at next year's roster and says if we have to cut someone Leal is the obvious answer. I have him as #13 on the roster. I have all freshmen ahead of him by the time the season starts. Gunn can shoot it as well and is a lot more athletic. But I'm not on the staff so we'll see what happens.

1 minute ago, hoosierbgh said:

Maybe, maybe not. Either way running Leal off is still really shortsighted and not the most likely scenario. 

I don't really care where recruits come from as long as they buy in but eventually Woody is going to want and need top talent from Indiana regardless of where else he's getting recruits. Overlooking talent close to home because he's having success elsewhere is again shortsighted. It's not all or nothing. 

So if not Leal then who?

From Assembly Call last night -

If Trayce returns next season, Indiana will have FOUR players on its roster ranked in the top-35 in the RSCI composite recruiting rankings.  That's never happened in the 24-year RSCI database.  We had three in 2016 (Yogi, TB, JB) and in 2005 (Bracey, DJ, Vaden).

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So if not Leal then who?

Experience says it will likely be someone relatively few of us want to lose. Kopp actually makes the most sense to me.  To be clear I like him better than many but with only one year left and the prospect of falling far down the depth chart, I could see him being persuaded to move on. I think JG is the most likely to leave though, unfortunately. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So if not Leal then who?

LD. I was never impressed with him when we recruited him. then the few minutes I saw him get this year he looked awkward and way out of his league. 

Leal can provide quality minutes when needed and will embrace the role of good teammate and bench mob. 

1 minute ago, IUc2016 said:

LD. I was never impressed with him when we recruited him. then the few minutes I saw him get this year he looked awkward and way out of his league. 

Leal can provide quality minutes when needed and will embrace the role of good teammate and bench mob. 

I could see LD deciding to move on if TJD returns, especially after adding Reneau. However, your description of him fits the vast majority of non 5 star freshman bigs going to high major schools. It fits plenty of 5 star freshman bigs too. 

16 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

But at some point, Leal has to become more than just a cheerleader using up a scholarship. 

9 minutes ago, Trish said:

We had a walk-on play before Logan this year. He may not be ready and may need another year which happens in college basketball, yes.

Sure he was ranked nicely but from our history, we know rankings really don't mean anything.

If Woodson is playing a walk-on before a scholarship player, we may have a problem. 

I rather "Crean" Logan than Leal. Leal is the hometown kid, indiana fan growing up. We can't play everyone but Leal is the culture kid you need in your program. 

Fans would be at a high majority that getting rid of Leal is highly unacceptable.