Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Gotcha. I don’t really see JG playing that much on the wing. He hasn't played that role at all in two years, and he'd have to improve a great deal at both ends. 

IMO, like Justin Smith, OG, Troy Williams and Watford, JG is a college 4. 

Gleas i think you’re a bit too far down on JG’s upside including the wing with handle improvement over the summer and forward. There’s some talk he’s working now on his handle per the staff. His D is exceptional across positions, his outside shot form is solid and improving, hit a number of crunch 3’s, handle clearly still needs work but a comparison with Kopp? The guy added so little, and any comparison of their stats and advanced stats has Geronimo miles better. Yeah he generally subbed for Race, yes don’t disagree he’s primarily a college 4, but he has the upside / athleticism / length / quickness / shot blocking on the wing / lateral movement to be an effective wing. I would play him there today over Kopp, easily. We can be a long, athletic, attacking team, or a team with “wings” who stand around on the perimeter, don’t shoot much and can’t create their own shot? I hope to see good handle growth from JG, his upside is excellent 

whatever happens I absolutely hope / think he is staying, major contributor end of season into ncaa tourney, should only get better

2 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Gleas i think you’re a bit too far down on JG’s upside including the wing with handle improvement over the summer and forward. There’s some talk he’s working now on his handle per the staff. His D is exceptional across positions, his outside shot form is solid and improving, hit a number of crunch 3’s, handle clearly still needs work but a comparison with Kopp? The guy added so little, and any comparison of their stats and advanced stats has Geronimo miles better. Yeah he generally subbed for Race, yes don’t disagree he’s primarily a college 4, but he has the upside / athleticism / length / quickness / shot blocking on the wing / lateral movement to be an effective wing. I would play him there today over Kopp, easily. We can be a long, athletic, attacking team, or a team with “wings” who stand around on the perimeter, don’t shoot much and can’t create their own shot? I hope to see good handle growth from JG, his upside is excellent 

In addition He generally subbed for race I think mostly because that’s what we needed. Aside from the great Illinois knucklehead fiasco we tended to have guys for 1-3 

I'm not down on him at all. I'm glad Race is back, but honestly there was a part of me kind of hoping Race was going to move on so JG could get those minutes all to himself. 

But, he's not a wing. I'm not saying Kopp is the answer, never have, but Kopp also does a lot that JG can't. Kopp turns it over far less, fouls far less, and is a much, much better perimeter defender. JG is pretty bad defending the perimeter, he gets blown by a lot and loses his man out there a lot. 

JG is a really good developing stretch 4. That's the way the game is going/has went, smaller, not bigger. He can get to that midrange as a 4 and his 3 is developing. He can crash the oboards from that spot, etc.

Our fan base always does this. Like Justin Smith, OG, Troy and Watford before him, everyone wanted them to be college wings, but they're not. There's nothing at all wrong with that, it's how the game is played. 

I mean, I'm typing this while watching Draymond Green play center in the NBA playoffs. 

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

JG is our 3. People talk about “3” “wing” skills when it comes to JG but refuses to say the same for Kopp who couldn’t dribble and chew gum at the same time

JG literally hasn't played a minute as a wing in his two years. 

Kopp turns it over far less then JG and is a much better perimeter defender. 

With that said, my hope is that Kopp isn't a starting wing either. Very few are claiming Kopp is the answer, but that doesn't make JG a wing player. 

I will be absolutely floored if we trot out a TJD, Race, JG lineup. It literally never happened once this season when the wings were a weakness. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

JG literally hasn't played a minute as a wing in his two years. 

Kopp turns it over far less then JG and is a much better perimeter defender. 

With that said, my hope is that Kopp isn't a starting wing either. Very few are claiming Kopp is the answer, but that doesn't make JG a wing player. 

I will be absolutely floored if we trot out a TJD, Race, JG lineup. It literally never happened once this season when the wings were a weakness. 

Kopp doesn’t create anything or attempt to so he shouldn’t turn it over at all. He is a catch and shoot, stand around in the corner and wait for others to create kind of guy.

geronimo makes things happen and doesn’t wait for others to spoon feed him, quite the opposite, he cleans up others trash.

also, I have no idea how anyone could watch Kopp on D and say he is anything other than a broken ankle

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm not down on him at all. I'm glad Race is back, but honestly there was a part of me kind of hoping Race was going to move on so JG could get those minutes all to himself. 

But, he's not a wing. I'm not saying Kopp is the answer, never have, but Kopp also does a lot that JG can't. Kopp turns it over far less, fouls far less, and is a much, much better perimeter defender. JG is pretty bad defending the perimeter, he gets blown by a lot and loses his man out there a lot. 

JG is a really good developing stretch 4. That's the way the game is going/has went, smaller, not bigger. He can get to that midrange as a 4 and his 3 is developing. He can crash the oboards from that spot, etc.

Our fan base always does this. Like Justin Smith, OG, Troy and Watford before him, everyone wanted them to be college wings, but they're not. There's nothing at all wrong with that, it's how the game is played. 

I mean, I'm typing this while watching Draymond Green play center in the NBA playoffs. 

Ok you know we 100 percent always agreed Smith was no wing, that was obvious, and JG has much more potential. Also though think we still get bogged down labeling or casting positions, definitely now a smaller faster more positionless game, as we see Draymond play center — and JG has defended centers etc. Kopp is most definitely not a better defender though, JG’s perimeter D was about learning the area - wing / perimeter D, as opposed to having the lateral quickness and movement, the close out to blocking a corner 3? JG, something Kopp could only dream about. Anyway we see his current level of development and potential differently, no issues there people will, but I would much, much rather see investment in his potential, which is higher than most, than a grab for the next shiny thing

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

Kopp doesn’t create anything or attempt to so he shouldn’t turn it over at all. He is a catch and shoot, stand around in the corner and wait for others to create kind of guy.

geronimo makes things happen and doesn’t wait for others to spoon feed him, quite the opposite, he cleans up others trash.

also, I have no idea how anyone could watch Kopp on D and say he is anything other than a broken ankle

You literally described JG as a 4, a guy that crashes the boards, gets weak-side blocks, etc. (IE. Cleans up others trash). 

Again, I've never said Kopp is the answer, though he is a much better perimeter defender than JG. But, your dislike of Kopp does not make JG a wing. 

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Right, the focus on TO’s is exaggerated here, Kopp did almost nothing with the ball, he doesn’t even try to create his own shot.

Ok you know we 100 percent always agreed Smith was no wing, that was obvious, and JG has much more potential. Also though think we still get bogged down labeling or casting positions, definitely now a smaller faster more positionless game, as we see Draymond play center — and JG has defended centers etc. Kopp is most definitely not a better defender though, JG’s perimeter D was about learning the area - wing / perimeter D, as opposed to having the lateral quickness and movement, the close out to blocking a corner 3? JG, something Kopp could only dream about. Anyway we see his current level of development and potential differently, no issues there people will, but I would much, much rather see investment in his potential, which is higher than most, than a grab for the next shiny thing

Again, I like JG. But, does he have more potential than Smith? I was never a Smith guy, but he did far more his first two years than JG has and JG was on teams where more was needed. 

I'm a JG fan, I really am, love him as a developing stretch 4, but nothing to this point has shown he's a wing. 

JG is the prototypical college 4 and he has the potential to be phenomenal on that role. 

Once again, I'm not a Kopp guy. I think he could be good off the bench though. But yes, last season Kopp was a much, much better perimeter defender. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You literally described JG as a 4, a guy that crashes the boards, gets weak-side blocks, etc. (IE. Cleans up others trash). 

Again, I've never said Kopp is the answer, though he is a much better perimeter defender than JG. But, your dislike of Kopp does not make JG a wing. 

What makes a 3, a wing in your eyes? I feel like with the way the game is today any preconceived notion of what that is is gone. JG can do a little of everything where Kopp and anyone else we would trot out there cannot. Switching on D wasn’t possible with Kopp and Stewart and is with JG. He is the Swiss army knife that Kopp cannot be and never will be. 

30 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

What makes a 3, a wing in your eyes? I feel like with the way the game is today any preconceived notion of what that is is gone. JG can do a little of everything where Kopp and anyone else we would trot out there cannot. Switching on D wasn’t possible with Kopp and Stewart and is with JG. He is the Swiss army knife that Kopp cannot be and never will be. 

I don’t subscribe to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 really. IMO you have guards, wings and forwards/centers, though for IU it's really forwards. 

Even the line between guards and wings is blurred anymore. But, JG is has been a forward his entire IU career to this point and I don't see that changing. Woodson played him exclusively as a forward. 

This discussion really shouldn't have anything  to do with Kopp. Needing an upgrade from Kopp doesn't make JG good for a role he's never played. 

JG hasn't done a little of everything. He's only played forward. He hasn't been a creator. He hasn't been the ball handler in the PnR, he's always for 2 years set the ball screen and rolled/popped. He hasn't played the wing at all. 

Defensively he's been really bad on the perimeter when switched onto guards/wings (yes, worse than Kopp).

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Leal’s really no better of a shooter than Dennis, and he doesn’t play defense. It’s great that Leal loves IU but that can’t be the reason you keep a guy. We already have a cheerleading squad. 

I doubt the cheerleading squad will help all that much if the coaching staff burns bridges with Indiana high school coaches by running players like Leal off. There's a balance that must be maintained between doing anything/everything to win and taking care of players. I do wonder though if Leal would end up coming out way ahead with NIL deals if he decided to pay his own way. I don't think that is even remotely likely and I'm not sure it is even possible either. 

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Gotcha. I don’t really see JG playing that much on the wing. He hasn't played that role at all in two years, and he'd have to improve a great deal at both ends. 

IMO, like Justin Smith, OG, Troy Williams and Watford, JG is a college 4. 

Jordan Geronimo is 6’6”.  The thought that he is only suited to be a college 4 is head scratching to me.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

There is seriously someone who feels Kopp is a better perimeter defender than JG?

You could have just quoted me. 

100%, it's not that close if you watched closely. JG consistently gets lost on the perimeter, loses his man, gets blown by and struggles with the rotation. 

He's a phenomenal weak-side defender/shot blocker and is strong in the post despite his lack of height, but struggles when switched out on perimeter defenders. 

Kopp, while lacking some foot speed is a very smart and fundamental defender. 

Just now, BGleas said:

That's what his skillset is. 

Your evaluation of his skill set is that he sucks as a perimeter defender, so you’ll have to forgive me if I take it with a grain of salt.  Right now there is one thing keeping him from being a 3 and that’s ball handling.  And that is what they are working with him on in the offseason.

14 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Your evaluation of his skill set is that he sucks as a perimeter defender, so you’ll have to forgive me if I take it with a grain of salt.  Right now there is one thing keeping him from being a 3 and that’s ball handling.  And that is what they are working with him on in the offseason.

If you think he's a good perimeter defender at this point, then I don't know what to tell you. He's simply not if you watched closely. Not the only game, but St. Mary's had his head spinning on switches. 

There are reasons he didn't log a single minute in two years at the wing under two different coaches on two teams that desperately needed better wing play. 

It wasn't just ball handling. Kopp isn't a great ball handler either. 

1 hour ago, hoosierbgh said:

I doubt the cheerleading squad will help all that much if the coaching staff burns bridges with Indiana high school coaches by running players like Leal off. There's a balance that must be maintained between doing anything/everything to win and taking care of players. I do wonder though if Leal would end up coming out way ahead with NIL deals if he decided to pay his own way. I don't think that is even remotely likely and I'm not sure it is even possible either. 

The “burning bridges with Indiana high school coaches” stuff is overblown. Woody didn’t recruit Leal. Through two years at IU he hasn’t shown an ability to contribute at this level. If you have the chance to substitute someone like Sean McNeil for an end of the bench guy like Leal, you take it. If it makes Leal’s high school coach mad, who cares? How many times do we recruit players from his high school? 

Woody has a top 5 recruiting class, only 1 of the players is from Indiana, and he’s by far the lowest ranking player in the class. There’s nothing special in the water at Indiana high schools. Indiana players are far less important when you can recruit nationally and land 5 star recruits from prep schools across the country. That’s the route Woody’s trying to take.