Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Leal’s really no better of a shooter than Dennis, and he doesn’t play defense. It’s great that Leal loves IU but that can’t be the reason you keep a guy. We already have a cheerleading squad. 

I disagree.  Leal showed a lot of improvement on the defensive end last year.  He also sees himself as more than a cheerleader.  Is he happy to be here?  Absolutely. He’s a player though. He is going to keep working on his game and he will contribute.  I think he finds a way to get on the court.

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Do we think we can win an NCAA title next season? I think that's what needs to be asked before further roster moves. 

If not, what's the point of adding McNeil or Dennis for one year? 

I'm probably in the minority, but I say let's stick with what we've got. If TJD returns, all the guys who seemingly would leave (Geronimo, Leal, Galloway, Bates, Duncomb) could have as many as three years left. I know a lot of people are down on a couple of those fellas, but I'm not ready to give up on 'em yet. 

There's only so many minutes to go around. 

Of course -- it ain't my decision. 

Over the last 10 or so years I have made a lot of lists of things we needed to happen to be good. 

If Trayce returns. and
Bates puts it all together and

our incoming 5 stars play like 5 stars 

Then who knows what that team could do.  And really that’s not a ridiculous list like Archie always needed me to make  

That’s 4 guys I want playing 30 minutes a game.  The you have Xavier, Race and Trey who I also want playing 30 minutes a game. 

I guess I’m kinda in your camp   I’m Ok letting it ride.  That being said there are a few people still on roster that I don’t think factor into plans one way or the other 

11 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Do we think we can win an NCAA title next season? I think that's what needs to be asked before further roster moves. 

If not, what's the point of adding McNeil or Dennis for one year? 

I'm probably in the minority, but I say let's stick with what we've got. If TJD returns, all the guys who seemingly would leave (Geronimo, Leal, Galloway, Bates, Duncomb) could have as many as three years left. I know a lot of people are down on a couple of those fellas, but I'm not ready to give up on 'em yet. 

There's only so many minutes to go around. 

Of course -- it ain't my decision. 

I think you add a high percentage shooter for one year to show high percentage recruits what they can add to a successful team.

Winning titles is great, but you always have to be thinking about recruiting.

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

We could and should if available improve on Kopp, Galloway and Geronimo.

I expect most would agree with you...but it gets sticky when you define "improve."  Finding a better shooter then Trey is easy- but he brings a lot more to the table. Finding a more polished player than Jordan is very realistic, but he has tons of potential. Kopp has...... experience? Ok, I'm not his biggest fan. Anyway, the tough part is crafting a team from the parts and they aren't always the more obvious ones. Having said that, I was really hoping IU would land a wing shooter from the portal.    

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Over the last 10 or so years I have made a lot of lists of things we needed to happen to be good. 

If Trayce returns. and
Bates puts it all together and

our incoming 5 stars play like 5 stars 

Then who knows what that team could do.  And really that’s not a ridiculous list like Archie always needed me to make  

That’s 4 guys I want playing 30 minutes a game.  The you have Xavier, Race and Trey who I also want playing 30 minutes a game. 

I guess I’m kinda in your camp   I’m Ok letting it ride.  That being said there are a few people still on roster that I don’t think factor into plans one way or the other 

I want to let it ride too. I have to think under this staff someone will develop into a solid 3 point shooter. That being said I'm not going to turn away the best defensive player in a solid, respectable conference. 

28 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

We could and should if available improve on Kopp, Galloway and Geronimo.

Galloway and Geronimo are good players. They’ll be in their second year of the system and do a lot of things besides score. Trying to replace guys like that with shiny new thing is a fools errand in more ways than one. 

20 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wants at this point……

1-10. TJD to return.
11. I’d like to keep the roster status quo otherwise.
12. We are recruiting Dennis, McNeil so someone is leaving or being explained their opportunities. I think this move could cause more harm than good unless someone is leaving on their own accord.

Return TJD, we have huge expectations and I love it.

I can’t even put out a projected lineups because I want a lot of these guys to get minutes.

I tend to prefer starters get 30 plus minutes and 3 guys share to other 40-50 minutes. I think teams play better when best players can find their groove.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

It's a good problem to have. I'm now starting to think they may have to redshirt Banks. 

24 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Galloway and Geronimo are good players. They’ll be in their second year of the system and do a lot of things besides score. Trying to replace guys like that with shiny new thing is a fools errand in more ways than one. 

This and between these two, Sean McNeil and Dennis. Geronimo has the best advanced analytics. 

I think people are undervaluing what Geronimo has to offer. And maybe overvaluing what these potential transfers have to offer  

It's a good problem to have. I'm now starting to think they may have to redshirt Banks. 

I feel like Gunn would be optimal for a redshirt but I doubt he’s interested. Banks being 6’8” should get him on the court to show his game. Galloway and Leal in front Gunn likely, plus the 3 big time guards.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Why? They play totally different roles/positions. 

With Race and Reneau and with the potential of TJD coming back, JG will be looked at to convert to the 3 to get more time.  He likely is going to get quite a few minutes there, especially if TJD were to return.  Dennis is a 3.  And with X/Hood-Schifino and Bates, the 1-3 positions already have a lot of time already being allotted....and we haven't even talked about Kopp.

And I haven't even talked about Galloway, who can play 1-3.

7 hours ago, Trish said:

Assuming TJD comes back.. which I guess might actually happen now LOL.

These are the 10 I think play.. at least as of today. Now after an off-season program and who develops their shooting ability, then our starting line - up could be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Kopp starts again. The fight for the starting 2 will be a battle between Hood and Tamar. I just know for sure Johnson, TJD, and Race would be starting. 

We have depth for sure.

Xaiver / Hood

Tamar / Gunn

Galloway / Kopp

Race / Jordan

TJD / Malik

DNPCD's : Leal, Logan, Banks

I think Banks could sub in the Galloway/Kopp spot and we would gain every bit as much as we would lose.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wants at this point……

1-10. TJD to return.
11. I’d like to keep the roster status quo otherwise.
12. We are recruiting Dennis, McNeil so someone is leaving or being explained their opportunities. I think this move could cause more harm than good unless someone is leaving on their own accord.

Return TJD, we have huge expectations and I love it.

I can’t even put out a projected lineups because I want a lot of these guys to get minutes.

I tend to prefer starters get 30 plus minutes and 3 guys share to other 40-50 minutes. I think teams play better when best players can find their groove.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Yeah, I'm see minimal improvement in the team at best by adding either McNeil or Dennis.  The truth is that IF Bates gets his shot back next year, I'd rather have him on the court over either one of them.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

With Race and Reneau and with the potential of TJD coming back, JG will be looked at to convert to the 3 to get more time.  He likely is going to get quite a few minutes there, especially if TJD were to return.  Dennis is a 3.  And with X/Hood-Schifino and Bates, the 1-3 positions already have a lot of time already being allotted....and we haven't even talked about Kopp.

And I haven't even talked about Galloway, who can play 1-3.

Gotcha. I don’t really see JG playing that much on the wing. He hasn't played that role at all in two years, and he'd have to improve a great deal at both ends. 

IMO, like Justin Smith, OG, Troy Williams and Watford, JG is a college 4. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

This and between these two, Sean McNeil and Dennis. Geronimo has the best advanced analytics. 

I think people are undervaluing what Geronimo has to offer. And maybe overvaluing what these potential transfers have to offer  

Couldn’t agree more

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Gotcha. I don’t really see JG playing that much on the wing. He hasn't played that role at all in two years

IMO, like Justin Smith, OG, Troy Williams and Watford, JG is a college 4. 

I really like JG but with the additions of Malik, Banks, and the return of Race, I wouldn’t be stunned to see him move closer to home. I hope it doesn’t happen but there are only so many minutes to allocate. Maybe JG would be more inclined to stick around if TJD leaves and Race slides into more of the 5 slot minutes,  We will see. 

Just now, DChoosier said:

I really like JG but with the additions of Malik, Banks, and the return of Race, I wouldn’t be stunned to see him move closer to home. I hope it doesn’t happen but there are only so many minutes to allocate. Maybe JG would be more inclined to stick around if TJD leaves and Race slides into more of the 5 slot minutes,  We will see. 

I definitely want JG to stay. He brings a lot to the table and should only keep getting better. 

But, without a ton of development on both ends, I just don't see him getting any minutes at the wing.