Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

Did some looking at the Big Ten rosters. There are some guys that are 50/50 if they leave (Ex: Eric Hunter, Zach Edey, Michigan's freshman and Dickinson, Michigan State's frontcourt, Kofi, Trayce/Race) If Trayce returns there is no reason this team can't compete for a Big Ten Title. Big Ten will be as weak as its been in a while. I think Michigan State and Michigan are probably 1-2. I'd put IU in the class with Illinois, Iowa, and Purdue for 3-6. Ohio State won't be terrible but they'll be young. Rutgers loses their two best players but may return everyone else. Wisconsin looks to take a step back, but it's Wisconsin so who knows. 
Bottom Line: The Big Ten has been difficult the last 4 seasons. If this program is going to make a jump, it's next year. 

Ohio State with a really strong recruiting class. Same for Michigan. Both will likely be strong. TJD and an improved Bates or a strong JHS with a focused X, should give us a shot.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ohio State with a really strong recruiting class. Same for Michigan. Both will likely be strong. TJD and an improved Bates or a strong JHS with a focused X, should give us a shot.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Maybe...but who can put the ball in the bucket from outside?  And we do need experienced players on the team.  I'm talking about those players that know what it takes to win.  And they just do it.

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Maybe...but who can put the ball in the bucket from outside?  And we do need experienced players on the team.  I'm talking about those players that know what it takes to win.  And they just do it.

X, Kopp, and if they return, TJD and Race are very experienced. I think Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway bring different levels of production but all have quite a bit of experience by next year. And Bates had spotty minutes, but top 50 sophomores are often very good, even if they had iffy frosh years.

I don’t want to downplay that shooting is important, but players get better at it (at least under adequate coaching they do). Nobody has to turn into Roth or Hulls but X shot well this year, Geronimo too and the stroke looks great, Bates and Kopp are better shooters than we saw, I’m bullish about Race keeping up the late-season pace, the staff knows what Trey needs…it would be nice to add a McNeil or Nigel Pack but I don’t think it’s crazy that the group of returners can be incrementally better than last year.

9 minutes ago, lillurk said:

X, Kopp, and if they return, TJD and Race are very experienced. I think Geronimo, Leal, and Galloway bring different levels of production but all have quite a bit of experience by next year. And Bates had spotty minutes, but top 50 sophomores are often very good, even if they had iffy frosh years.

I don’t want to downplay that shooting is important, but players get better at it (at least under adequate coaching they do). Nobody has to turn into Roth or Hulls but X shot well this year, Geronimo too and the stroke looks great, Bates and Kopp are better shooters than we saw, I’m bullish about Race keeping up the late-season pace, the staff knows what Trey needs…it would be nice to add a McNeil or Nigel Pack but I don’t think it’s crazy that the group of returners can be incrementally better than last year.

What makes you believe Kopp is a better shooter than what we saw? I believe he had one of three seasons at NW where he shot well. Last season, he shot okay on low volume. As a senior, his shot selection was questionable. We pegged him as a shooter because that's what we needed and he doesn't really do anything else well. He's probably a bench player getting 15-20 mpg on a good team. If we're relying on him as a starter getting 25+ mpg and being one of our better shooters we most likely didn't become that much better than this season. He might shoot a better percentage when he realizes he's a catch and shoot player and doesn't use game time to 'expand his game.'

10 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

What makes you believe Kopp is a better shooter than what we saw? I believe he had one of three seasons at NW where he shot well. Last season, he shot okay on low volume. As a senior, his shot selection was questionable. We pegged him as a shooter because that's what we needed and he doesn't really do anything else well. He's probably a bench player getting 15-20 mpg on a good team. If we're relying on him as a starter getting 25+ mpg and being one of our better shooters we most likely didn't become that much better than this season. He might shoot a better percentage when he realizes he's a catch and shoot player and doesn't use game time to 'expand his game.'

I would agree that he needs a more narrow offensive role. I’m optimistic that will happen, as replacing Stewart with JHS, Bates, Trey, etc. puts a more dynamic secondary ballhandler out there.

59 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Hasn’t translated to games clearly but Walsh during his recent interviews basically said that Koop in practice and shooting drills is hands down the best shooter in the entire program.   Said it hasn’t translated to games but it’s a sight  to see during the drills.   Fans can only go by what they see on the court but behind the scenes he is still viewed as someone who can shoot the ball  

34 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I would agree that he needs a more narrow offensive role. I’m optimistic that will happen, as replacing Stewart with JHS, Bates, Trey, etc. puts a more dynamic secondary ballhandler out there.

That might be what he needs. Running him with a second unit of JHS, Bates, Geronimo, etc. might suit his stand in the corner catch and shoot role perfectly.

39 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Hasn’t translated to games clearly but Walsh during his recent interviews basically said that Koop in practice and shooting drills is hands down the best shooter in the entire program.   Said it hasn’t translated to games but it’s a sight to see during the drills.   Fans can only go by what they see on the court but behind the scenes he is still viewed as someone who can shoot the ball  

No sarcasm or assholery but...

Shooting in practice without making in games translates little to creating a more dynamic offense that impacts winning. I guess it's cool for the staff and players to watch him light it up in practice. This is an interesting phenomenon in sports and life. I've played with some excellent golfers who struggled in competition (practice superstars). Conversely, I've watched average golfers light it up in events.

19 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

No sarcasm or assholery but...

Shooting in practice without making in games translates little to creating a more dynamic offense that impacts winning. I guess it's cool for the staff and players to watch him light it up in practice. This is an interesting phenomenon in sports and life. I've played with some excellent golfers who struggled in competition (practice superstars). Conversely, I've watched average golfers light it up in events.

Yep that’s what separates great players from the rest.  Same with FT shooting I would guess.   Put game pressure on and it’s a different feel.   Don’t know why it hasn’t translated to games but I do know that if Koop is back which it looks like he will be it will be because the staff thinks he can contribute and be the shooter everyone thought he was going to be.   In other words staff wants him back 

It's almost like ITH was following this thread and the discussion of his potential position/role next season. Their summary on Geronimo's decision process:

Jordan Geronimo seems like someone who could wait and see what Thompson does.  Although he could certainly bump the veteran four out of the starting spot on his own, Geronimo might prefer a cleaner path to more playing time in his third year, that doesn’t include beating out a 62-game starter.

The other alternative for Geronimo is developing into the three role.  That would require significant skill development, mainly in his ball handling and passing.  But Geronimo likely has the highest ceiling on the team, so major strides in those areas won’t come as a surprise.  But we like him as a small-ball four in any event, a role he thrived in on the defensive end late in the season.

Geronimo also has the unique pressure of being far away from his New Jersey home, something that seemed to weigh on him when he decided to enter the portal last season.  Wherever he plays, his per-40 11.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks, and team-high 11.9 percent offensive rebounding rate will be hard to keep off the floor.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/a-look-at-the-decisions-of-the-nine-remaining-iu-basketball-players-from-the-2021-22-team/?fbclid=IwAR3vMrNJ7LuCBsrprS95gJVERPjtrVorboYDGNuvr1ivnsHMHES8_UazBus

20 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It's almost like ITH was following this thread and the discussion of his potential position/role next season. Their summary on Geronimo's decision process:

Jordan Geronimo seems like someone who could wait and see what Thompson does.  Although he could certainly bump the veteran four out of the starting spot on his own, Geronimo might prefer a cleaner path to more playing time in his third year, that doesn’t include beating out a 62-game starter.

The other alternative for Geronimo is developing into the three role.  That would require significant skill development, mainly in his ball handling and passing.  But Geronimo likely has the highest ceiling on the team, so major strides in those areas won’t come as a surprise.  But we like him as a small-ball four in any event, a role he thrived in on the defensive end late in the season.

Geronimo also has the unique pressure of being far away from his New Jersey home, something that seemed to weigh on him when he decided to enter the portal last season.  Wherever he plays, his per-40 11.3 rebounds and 2.2 blocks, and team-high 11.9 percent offensive rebounding rate will be hard to keep off the floor.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/a-look-at-the-decisions-of-the-nine-remaining-iu-basketball-players-from-the-2021-22-team/?fbclid=IwAR3vMrNJ7LuCBsrprS95gJVERPjtrVorboYDGNuvr1ivnsHMHES8_UazBus

Just a clarification, looks like this is from The Daily Hoosier and not ITH (Inside the Hall)

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Summing up this article: Galloway, Leal and Bates are very likely back. Everybody else depends on everybody else. 

If that's the case, that first domino needs to fall before things fall into place.

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Summing up this article: Galloway, Leal and Bates are very likely back. Everybody else depends on everybody else. 

If that's the case, guess we just wait for the first domino to fall. 

It all centers around TJD.

I know him and Race are pretty tight. My guess is if TJD comes back so does Race. Then Jordan has a tough decision to make.

If TJD leaves so does Race and Jordan stays.

34 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

From what I've been told everyone is back, Galloway, Leal, Bates, X, Kopp, LD, and then just waiting for TJD, Race and JG to decide

If Woody wants Duncomb back, I’m glad he’s coming back. That means that staff sees potential in him to be a rotation big.

If Woody wants Duncomb back, I’m glad he’s coming back. That means that staff sees potential in him to be a rotation big.

Or so we hope. Hopefully this isn't one of those why in the heck is he here things in a few years

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk