Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

I want Duncomb back. At some point in time we need a few guys like leal and Duncomb who work their butts off and become very useful as juniors and seniors. Not all 13 guys can play. I watched him dominate Furst in the Indy heat vs Indy elite game. He has the potential if we give him some time. Most on here want Wisconsin bigs who come out of the woodwork. Duncomb could be just that. Plus I thought he looked good in what little work he did get.

We all want shooters but realistically that isn’t going to happen in a year. If you believe what Walsh said then most on this team CAN shoot it’s more of a between the ears type thing. Woodson needs to somehow figure out how to flip a switch mentally with some of these kids because I do believe most of our players can make shots in practice. Obviously games are a different story right now but who’s to say that cannot change? In my opinion it’s our best for our team if Trayce and Race did come back even if that means we didn’t get any shooters. Hopefully the guys will improve enough to be average shooters and make 2-3 more a game. That in its self would be huge. Fill the last spot with a shooter and I believe we would be set for a really good year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, lillurk said:

I think what’s being referred to here is technically true: Childress played in the Northwestern game and Logan didn’t. But Childress came in and played on the wing alongside the starting bigs, so I don’t know that I agree he played over Duncomb; I can’t imagine playing TJD, Race, and Duncomb together

He got zero run in that game and all the excuses from fans were that our starters were gassed. How is he not able to come in for 1 min in the middle of each half to give TJD a breather?

we subbed out other starters and brought in a walk in.

48 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Referencing Geronimo's rebounding rank by removing a few end of bench players. This could be done through every stat by removing the non-rotational players which would increase both Kopp and Geronimo's rank.

Agreed, Kopp is not the answer on the wing. As a backup with some experience and as a good teammate is the role he should have should he return.

Actually the only stat that had Childress and Duncomb above both of them was Boards, and again, their numbers are irrelevant. If you remove Childress and Duncomb from all of the posted stats the only changes it would make as to Kopp are in the per 40 min stats, raising him up by 2 to 10th in PPG, by 1 in Blocks to 7th, by 2 in Boards to 7th, by 2 in FG% to 10th. No other impact on Geronimo is he's above those guys in every stat on a per 40 basis other than Boards -- which basically emphasizes the point.

Gotta add, since I'm going overboard in my mancrush on Geronimo (!)

eFG% 

Geronimo - 56% (4th on team, 3rd not counting Childress)

Kopp - 46% (11th, 9th not counting Childress & Duncomb)

Thing is, eFG% specifically adjusts for the fact that a 3-pointer is worth more than a 2PT FG. And Kopp is still 10% lower.

5 hours ago, 94Bulldog said:

For me, I don’t need them feeling comfortable he can play the 3.  I need them acknowledging that’s he’s a better stretch 4 than Race and explain to Race that if he returns, it’s likely as a backup.  

Neither one of them is a stretch 4, and Race is the better overall player. Race shot better from three during conference play on nearly 3x the volume. On the season Geronimo shot 31% on 0.9 attempts per game, during conference play he shot 23% on 0.7 attempts per game, and he’s a career 48.4% from the free throw line. 

He isn’t a stretch 4. He shouldn’t be a 4 at all, but he doesn’t have the skills to be a 3 so it’s the only position he can play. If our frontcourt returns, he would need to substantially improve to start over Race. 

4 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

He got zero run in that game and all the excuses from fans were that our starters were gassed. How is he not able to come in for 1 min in the middle of each half to give TJD a breather?

we subbed out other starters and brought in a walk in.

2 starters looked like walk ons all season!!!

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Neither one of them is a stretch 4, and Race is the better overall player. Race shot better from three during conference play on nearly 3x the volume. On the season Geronimo shot 31% on 0.9 attempts per game, during conference play he shot 23% on 0.7 attempts per game, and he’s a career 48.4% from the free throw line. 

He isn’t a stretch 4. He shouldn’t be a 4 at all, but he doesn’t have the skills to be a 3 so it’s the only position he can play. If our frontcourt returns, he would need to substantially improve to start over Race. 

Yes.  Ultimately, they should be working with JG becoming a 3 this offseason.  He can already defend the three so the work needs to be done on the offensive end.  And he certainly could get minutes at both the 3 and 4.  The suggestion someone had if telling Race he would come back as ‘a backup’ isn’t realistic.

Throw in the fact that Race isn’t a great three point shooter BUT was showing development there and you could have enough perimeter shooting between Race and JG and they could play together….having a 3 and 4 who are 35% three point shooters might be better than a 3 that hits 40% and a 4 that doesn’t shoot from the perimeter.

5 hours ago, Dillion said:

I want Duncomb back. At some point in time we need a few guys like leal and Duncomb who work their butts off and become very useful as juniors and seniors. Not all 13 guys can play. I watched him dominate Furst in the Indy heat vs Indy elite game. He has the potential if we give him some time. Most on here want Wisconsin bigs who come out of the woodwork. Duncomb could be just that. Plus I thought he looked good in what little work he did get.

We all want shooters but realistically that isn’t going to happen in a year. If you believe what Walsh said then most on this team CAN shoot it’s more of a between the ears type thing. Woodson needs to somehow figure out how to flip a switch mentally with some of these kids because I do believe most of our players can make shots in practice. Obviously games are a different story right now but who’s to say that cannot change? In my opinion it’s our best for our team if Trayce and Race did come back even if that means we didn’t get any shooters. Hopefully the guys will improve enough to be average shooters and make 2-3 more a game. That in its self would be huge. Fill the last spot with a shooter and I believe we would be set for a really good year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree but it’s also the case that the team shot 3’s by volume still towards the bottom of the B1G — it’s not just getting 3-point shooters it’s the staff developing and pushing perimeter shooting. Why are we shooting 3’a like it’s a CAM team? Can’t keep just running the O through the post and expect to win well. It’s both, developing the outside game and adding shooting.

All that said, I like Duncomb, he’s shown promise already, wasn’t ready to contribute as a frosh but is a big who can develop well and i’m looking forward to seeing it

Race Thompson right now is a better player than Jordan Geronimo. Geronimo has the potential to be a better player than Race perhaps even sometime next season But he isn't there yet and if Race wants to return Woodson should encourage him to do so. If Race returns he should start over Geronimo but Geronimo should get more playing time than he did last season.

42 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Yes.  Ultimately, they should be working with JG becoming a 3 this offseason.  He can already defend the three so the work needs to be done on the offensive end.  And he certainly could get minutes at both the 3 and 4.  The suggestion someone had if telling Race he would come back as ‘a backup’ isn’t realistic.

Throw in the fact that Race isn’t a great three point shooter BUT was showing development there and you could have enough perimeter shooting between Race and JG and they could play together….having a 3 and 4 who are 35% three point shooters might be better than a 3 that hits 40% and a 4 that doesn’t shoot from the perimeter.

Agree with running with Race and Geronimo, and the conversation shouldn’t be between those two, if Race cones back he should absolutely start, the weakness was the Kopp - Stewart insisted starters and Kopp manning the wing while contributing little. Geronimo should start, his handle can develop and he’s heads and shoulders a better contributor on both ends than Kopp, that’s just clear as day, I’ll take developing his handle, any day, over watching another season of Kopp standing there not shooting or rebounding and players blowing by him. I don’t mean to dis Kopp but it’s absolutely ridiculous to see him start over Geronimo just because he offers the promise of outside shooting 

23 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Agree with running with Race and Geronimo, and the conversation shouldn’t be between those two, if Race cones back he should absolutely start, the weakness was the Kopp - Stewart insisted starters and Kopp manning the wing while contributing little. Geronimo should start, his handle can develop and he’s heads and shoulders a better contributor on both ends than Kopp, that’s just clear as day, I’ll take developing his handle, any day, over watching another season of Kopp standing there not shooting or rebounding and players blowing by him. I don’t mean to dis Kopp but it’s absolutely ridiculous to see him start over Geronimo just because he offers the promise of outside shooting 

This is where I’ve been all season after a handful of meaningful games. 
Kopps slightly better 3 point shooting does not outweigh the advantage that Geronimo has on him in rebounding and defense. The guy attacks the boards with a passion and even offers shot blocking.

I too don’t want to hate on Kopp, he would be a great player in role minutes. We need more out of the 3 and he just doesn’t give it to us

FWIW:

In the mid range game (shots inside the three point line but outside the lane, our two leading shooters by percentage (with 20 or more attempts) were.......Jordan Geronimo and Race Thompson.  These are typically lower percentage shots;  Geronimo hit 46% (11 of 24), Thompson hit 42% (15 of 36).

For comparison's sake, TJD was at 32% (8 of 25), X was at 29% (20 of 70), Kopp was at 31% (19 of 61), Stewart 25% (7 of 28), Bates 38% (12 of 32), Phin 16% (3 of 19), Galloway 25% (2 of 8).

35 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

FWIW:

In the mid range game (shots inside the three point line but outside the lane, our two leading shooters by percentage (with 20 or more attempts) were.......Jordan Geronimo and Race Thompson.  These are typically lower percentage shots;  Geronimo hit 46% (11 of 24), Thompson hit 42% (15 of 36).

For comparison's sake, TJD was at 32% (8 of 25), X was at 29% (20 of 70), Kopp was at 31% (19 of 61), Stewart 25% (7 of 28), Bates 38% (12 of 32), Phin 16% (3 of 19), Galloway 25% (2 of 8).

Yes, both Geronimo and Thompson should start and get starter minutes

Did some looking at the Big Ten rosters. There are some guys that are 50/50 if they leave (Ex: Eric Hunter, Zach Edey, Michigan's freshman and Dickinson, Michigan State's frontcourt, Kofi, Trayce/Race) If Trayce returns there is no reason this team can't compete for a Big Ten Title. Big Ten will be as weak as its been in a while. I think Michigan State and Michigan are probably 1-2. I'd put IU in the class with Illinois, Iowa, and Purdue for 3-6. Ohio State won't be terrible but they'll be young. Rutgers loses their two best players but may return everyone else. Wisconsin looks to take a step back, but it's Wisconsin so who knows. 

Bottom Line: The Big Ten has been difficult the last 4 seasons. If this program is going to make a jump, it's next year.