Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

31 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I dislike the traditional positions because it's not really accurate these days. We have a PG, post, and various sized wings. I don't think Race and JG on the wing would have been any more detrimental than Kopp and P Stew.

I don’t think your wrong at all, but I like JG at the 4 way better than the 3, that’s all.

Hope things are going well for you :) 

14 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I guess Parker, Logan, and at least one of Race, JG, or Trayce (pro-career). 

Then let's add a shooter in the portal along with a big or two. 

Does anyone expect Parker to transfer? I'm thinking he just quits basketball and moves on with his life.

5 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

I don’t think your wrong at all, but I like JG at the 4 way better than the 3, that’s all.

Hope things are going well for you :) 

Thank you, same. I need to send you a message.

Last seasons roster I would agree. If we ever get a 4 and/or 5 that are steady from the perimeter JG at the 3 could be a nightmare.

4 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

So what? So - Geronimo wasn't competing with Kopp for minutes. Different positions, completely different players, completely irrelevant. And that's of course disregarding, as you are (if you even watched the games) that Woodson started and played Kopp and Stew in almost every game regardless of how well or poorly they were playing, because Woodson wanted shooting on the floor for spacing, and veterans . That's beyond obvious but apparently either lost on you, or disregarded, so you can bring yet another hypocritical argument here. 

And so --  Geronimo was clearly one of the best players on the team by year end, and that's why he played 19-21 MPG in the closing stretch and NCAA tourney. About 13 mpg coming into the UM game, then UM (19 min), Wyoming (19 min, and basically won us the game, 7-11, 7 boards, block and assist, key D), St Mary's (21 min). He's coming into next season as a likely 20-mpg plus player, not a 10 mpg player.

And so -- ignoring his advanced stats, with comparison to the full team, is just silly. Even just going with totals, disregarding his more limited minutes, he was 3rd in blocks, 3rd in FG%, 4th in boards, and 6th in overall scoring. Per 40 min and per 100 poss he was 2nd in blocks, 3d in boards, 3rd in FG%, and 4th in scoring. And those numbers are lower than the closing the stretch, when Woodson finally recognized his impact (and that's on Woodson). If you actually watched the games, you should have seen his "actual production" down the stretch and just how important he was to the team.

Per minute/per 40 aren’t even really advanced stats lol. You can talk about how him and Kopp play different positions, but that’s an indictment of Geronimo. Didn’t he play on the perimeter in high school? He’s a 6’6 wing whose position has to be the 4 in college because he doesn’t have wing skills. Its similar to the situation with Justin Smith, though Smith was slightly bigger and a better player. It’s not an athleticism issue. Geronimo has great athleticism. He should have been able to take Kopp’s spot, but he couldn’t. We’re not talking about “Logan Duncomb isn’t any good because he couldn’t take Kopp’s spot.” Those two guys play completely different positions. Kopp and Geronimo don’t. It’s not like Kopp is LeBron James on the wing. He can’t handle the ball and he can’t really defend. So it’s not like we were getting typical “3” attributes from him. All we got was shooting, and that was suspect a lot of the time. They’re both 3/4s, and if Woody thought Geronimo was good enough to give us a big boost compared to what we were getting from Kopp, he would’ve played him more than 11 mpg.

This entire conversation started because of a post about wanting to move on from Trayce and Race. A reason for moving on was given - because Geronimo might transfer in that situation. I think that’s a ridiculous reason for wanting to move on from those two. However good Geronimo is or isn’t, he isn’t as good as either player separately, and he certainly isn’t as good as the two combined. I don’t want Geronimo to leave and I haven’t said otherwise. But in a hypothetical situation like this, I’m taking Trayce/Race every time and not thinking twice. 

9 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Some rumors floating around that the Cavenaugh guy posted on Rivals that he heard from a player that TJD, Race and XJ are coming back.

Not saying it is gospel, just passing it along.

Would be awesome if true. Downside they probably lose JG. 

IF Trayce comes back, that is huge once again for this program. He's probably 3rd all time in scoring and 1st in rebounding. Let's add a shooter and this team's potential....but let's wait and see first. 

20 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Some rumors floating around that the Cavenaugh guy posted on Rivals that he heard from a player that TJD, Race and XJ are coming back.

Not saying it is gospel, just passing it along.

I like Race but if him returning means JG leaves then its time for Race to move on. A year older doesn't necessarily mean a year better and i think we've seen the best of Race. JG on the other hand hasn't met his ceiling yet. It's his time to shine.

Also I know how I've felt about Bohannon at Iowa and Trice at Wisconsin the last couple years and 6 years at one school is enough. Jess Settles and Evan Eschmeyer used to be a rarity but anymore the norm.

If TJD leaves, then I think getting Race back is great. If TJD returns, I am not too pumped about starting them together again. If Race would accept the role as our backup big, behind TJD, that would be awesome. I doubt he would return just to come off the bench though. JG deserves to be the starting 4 next year, with or without Race.

43 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Does anyone expect Parker to transfer? I'm thinking he just quits basketball and moves on with his life.

Just my gut (nothing more) saying that.  He went through senior ceremonies.  Race did but left the door open.  Stewart really didn't say much.  Just seemed like playing basketball wasn't fun for him anymore.

35 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Per minute/per 40 aren’t even really advanced stats lol. You can talk about how him and Kopp play different positions, but that’s an indictment of Geronimo. Didn’t he play on the perimeter in high school? He’s a 6’6 wing whose position has to be the 4 in college because he doesn’t have wing skills. Its similar to the situation with Justin Smith, though Smith was slightly bigger and a better player. It’s not an athleticism issue. Geronimo has great athleticism. He should have been able to take Kopp’s spot, but he couldn’t. We’re not talking about “Logan Duncomb isn’t any good because he couldn’t take Kopp’s spot.” Those two guys play completely different positions. Kopp and Geronimo don’t. It’s not like Kopp is LeBron James on the wing. He can’t handle the ball and he can’t really defend. So it’s not like we were getting typical “3” attributes from him. All we got was shooting, and that was suspect a lot of the time. They’re both 3/4s, and if Woody thought Geronimo was good enough to give us a big boost compared to what we were getting from Kopp, he would’ve played him more than 11 mpg.

This entire conversation started because of a post about wanting to move on from Trayce and Race. A reason for moving on was given - because Geronimo might transfer in that situation. I think that’s a ridiculous reason for wanting to move on from those two. However good Geronimo is or isn’t, he isn’t as good as either player separately, and he certainly isn’t as good as the two combined. I don’t want Geronimo to leave and I haven’t said otherwise. But in a hypothetical situation like this, I’m taking Trayce/Race every time and not thinking twice. 

My bigger concern would be JG transferring at the possibility of both Trayce and Race returning.  Players change their mind -- Race might take a little time to decided, Trayce might test the waters and not hear positive things.  We pretty much know that JG's family was pushing him to play closer to home after last year.  That push is likely to be stronger if they think he might still not be getting big minutes.

Personally, I am still of the opinion that even if he had not gotten Kopp's minutes, the rotation should have been when he was in either Trayce or Race was out and there shouldn't have been a case where both were out unless there were foul issues.  The 7-8 minutes per game could have easily been thrown JG's way if he was playing the 4 and Trayce or Race were playing the 5.  That alone would have bumped his minutes close to 20.

31 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Would be awesome if true. Downside they probably lose JG. 

IF Trayce comes back, that is huge once again for this program. He's probably 3rd all time in scoring and 1st in rebounding. Let's add a shooter and this team's potential....but let's wait and see first. 

We are still looking for at least two more to either transfer, go pro, or graduate. I think Parker, one more big guy and one PG

Just want to make sure I’m not crazy, if you give me one more year of Trayce, Race, XJ, and add Hood-Schifino I don’t really mind too much if we lose Geronimo. It would suck, but in a “what could have been” way. Truly no idea what becomes of him, he has looked promising in spurts but also really rough at times.

Give me one year of proven All-Big 10 posts vs 2 years of (possibly, maybe) JG starting for the first time in his career and trying to replace that production in bulk minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk