Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I'm starting to think that Lander, Duncomb, TJD, Stewart, Kopp, and either Rob or X are doing something else next year

Would hate to lose X. Think he can play alongside JHS. JHS is used to sharing the PG responsibilities at Montverde. 

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Trish said  "I suppose Bates could start for Hood but I don't know if Bates comes back."

Bates already tweeted that he is coming back. If Trey Galloway doesn't develop a reliable 3-point shot, IU is in trouble if he starts assuming TJD is no longer around to score 18 points a game.  Small ball requires that every player be able to shoot and Galloway has yet to demonstrated he can shoot from outside.

*which is why I said *if by miracle we develop into shooters. We'll see about that. 

Didn't know about Bates, but anything is possible. These kids can say they are coming back but until September rolls along and we have the first official practice I wouldn't rule anything crazy out. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

I agree. I am expecting some surprises with guys currently on the roster. Dont agree with those saying Sparks needs to be able to shoot the 3. We need rim protection & defensive rebounding. Would be ideal for our 5 man to be able to hit a mid range jumper at a decent clip too. We need an upgrade at the 4 position too. I love Race but I think Woody's system would benefit with a better perimeter shooter. 

I don't think IU has the luxury to wait for the 2nd wave of transfers. We aren't that type of program. IMHO, if we have the opportunity to upgrade the roster/each position, we need to act immediately. 

Of course we need to see where the current players end up but I'm not sure waiting would be in their best interests. 

While I understand the current landscape of the transfer portal, I don't like the idea of a revolving door of players every year.  Sure, a transfer or two in and out is fine but turning over the roster every year is not the model I'd like to see at IU.  We need internal continuity and player development rather than looking externally.  Maybe I'm still in denial, I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Would hate to lose X. Think he can play alongside JHS. JHS is used to sharing the PG responsibilities at Montverde. 

I never thought I would say this with his shot but I would be ok with X moving over to play the 2. I think both players would have the ball in their hands a lot. I think you need 4 guys on the wing who can break someone down off the dribble and both of them can do that. Add Tamar, Trey, Jordan, plus others and we are getting there. I would rather see us go smaller after TJD leaves. 

2 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

While I understand the current landscape of the transfer portal, I don't like the idea of a revolving door of players every year.  Sure, a transfer or two in and out is fine but turning over the roster every year is not the model I'd like to see at IU.  We need internal continuity and player development rather than looking externally.  Maybe I'm still in denial, I don't know. 

I think we want to get there but we're in a unique position this year with so many people who can leave or stay. 

56 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Why would JG consider transferring?  That would shock me actually.  And I'd be pretty bummed, love that guy. 

I think if TJD and Race stay, JG leaves, or maybe even in his mind if Race stays he leaves. He wants the most playing time as possible next year so I don't think he is interested in coming off the bench. I think he is saying he will have to make that decision after talking to the coaches and seeing who returns and who doesn't

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think if TJD and Race stay, JG leaves, or maybe even in his mind if Race stays he leaves. He wants the most playing time as possible next year so I don't think he is interested in coming off the bench. I think he is saying he will have to make that decision after talking to the coaches and seeing who returns and who doesn't

JG aint going anywhere

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

JG aint going anywhere

I don't think so but going on his words, not mine. But I would understand if he doesn't want to sit behind TJD and Race again

Guys.  TJD is gone.  Stop hoping.  Woody said in his press conference he was “ready” for the pros.  Several web sites have him solidly in the second round.  

Race should move on as well.  Go overseas.  We can’t have these crazy years with extra eligibility mess up the younger class.  We need JG, Bates etc to develop.   

9 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

JG over race if that is what it comes down to. Love race and what he has brought, but it's time to move on from the past 3 years of Race and Trayce ball. 

Agree.  I'd love to have Race return, but I'd much prefer 2 more years of JG vs a single year of Race.

I'm not the biggest fan of the revolving door either. However, we are in a unique circumstance with players getting an extra year. If Iowa and Wisconsin are going to take advantage of 5th/6th year players, IU should too. The majority of the teams still playing have two things in common: 1) they took advantage of the transfer portal and 2) most of their rotation is upperclassmen (22 and 23 year olds). 

I don't think it's a bad thing if this team loses 6 scholarship players. They are at least losing 4 with the 3 incoming guys and then another with reaching out to the Ball State player. Nothing against Kopp or Stewart but they shouldn't be getting 20 plus minutes at a Big Ten school. I'm an Evansville guy and I wanted Lander to succeed but he's probably the biggest IU recruiting bust since I've been an IU fan (early 2000s). The fact that Logan Duncomb didn't play against Northwestern and a walk on was playing over him is telling. There's 4 right there. I have to think either TJD or Race are gone, maybe both, with the recruitment of Sparks. I also wouldn't be mad to see Leal move on. It's telling he's been under two coaching staffs with not being a regular in the rotation. Wouldn't be mad to see Rob leave as long as they could get a decent replacement in the portal to run the point. 

I don't know how things work behind the scenes. I've heard of "Creaning" years ago. I just wonder what this team could have been if coach Woodson could have had a choice of two more players instead of keeping Leal and Duncomb. Nothing against those two guys, they just didn't bring anything on the court this year. 

21 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Agree.  I'd love to have Race return, but I'd much prefer 2 more years of JG vs a single year of Race.

31 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

JG over race if that is what it comes down to. Love race and what he has brought, but it's time to move on from the past 3 years of Race and Trayce ball. 

You guys said what I wanted to say. Love Race. I think he's an All-Big Ten player if he comes back for one more year. But....Geronimo should be playing way more. If he really develops, I think he's an NBA draft pick. I could see him killing it for another team if he were to transfer. That being said..I know it's small ball but why can't Jordan play the 4 and Race play the 5. Villanova plays small ball and it works for them. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

You guys said what I wanted to say. Love Race. I think he's an All-Big Ten player if he comes back for one more year. But....Geronimo should be playing way more. If he really develops, I think he's an NBA draft pick. I could see him killing it for another team if he were to transfer. That being said..I know it's small ball but why can't Jordan play the 4 and Race play the 5. Villanova plays small ball and it works for them. 

Don’t have splits for it but I thought the Race at 5/JG at 4 lineups looked good this year. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I never thought I would say this with his shot but I would be ok with X moving over to play the 2. I think both players would have the ball in their hands a lot. I think you need 4 guys on the wing who can break someone down off the dribble and both of them can do that. Add Tamar, Trey, Jordan, plus others and we are getting there. I would rather see us go smaller after TJD leaves. 

The last few national champions (Baylor, Virginia, Villanova) started multiple guys who could run the point. I don't see why Jalen and Xavier can't play together. Let's make it happen! 

I also said last night that the development of Tamar, Trey, and Jordan is going to be very important in the success of this team the next couple of years. If those three guys really develop....

2 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Don’t have splits for it but I thought the Race at 5/JG at 4 lineups looked good this year. 

My ideal 5 next year is Jalen, X, grad transfer guard who can shoot it (find a taller version of Jordan Hulls!), JG, and Race. Galloway as the 6th man. Tamar has to show more for me to pencil him in to start. 

2 hours ago, Five Prime said:

I don't think it will be as bad once the extra year for players due to covid is gone.  It's still my opinion that was a big mistake and has put a lot of programs into number crunches which further intensifies the portal.

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Just my opinion, but in the case that Race and Trayce both stayed you would see JG move to the 3.

My thoughts, too. He was starting to step out and shoot it a little. If he can tighten up his handle a little and get respectable from 3, he could play on the perimeter in a big line up. 

Additionally , almost all of Races makes from 3 we’re on the back half of the season. Think he was 12/30. So if he can continue that, we could play bigger and still not clog the lane.  

JG should be able to play the 3 or 4 in college though. 

3 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Just my opinion, but in the case that Race and Trayce both stayed you would see JG move to the 3.

Geronimo is too good to sit on the bench, you have to play him period. In addition, he is only 6’6. If he has any intention of playing in the league then it makes sense to develop the skill set of a 3 more.