Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

There are more 16/9  and 17/8 guys than 15/10.  I think the sentiment is the same.

Agreed, I'd be ecstatic with either IF it's on a winning team. Those players are mostly Big 1.o and national POY candidates with a few exceptions iirc.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Agreed, I'd be ecstatic with either IF it's on a winning team. Those players are mostly Big 1.o and national POY candidates with a few exceptions iirc.

Like TJD this year.  I understand the sentiment.  I think we all would preferred a 15/8 Trayce if it meant others picked up the slack.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I also was 80/20 TJD was gone, but I think it could be closer than that now. Maybe even 50/50. Just my two cents. 

Wait what.  You think he stays one more to try to get a first round spot?  

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

Like TJD this year.  I understand the sentiment.  I think we all would preferred a 15/8 Trayce if it meant others picked up the slack.

I guess you could include Trayce in Big 1.o POY conversations. Is there a ranking of how players finished in the voting?

I'd love to have a handful of double figure scorers with multiple players over 7 rpg and solid shooting percentages. That would be ideal.

1 hour ago, ziggyiu said:

No inside info, but some programs have two good ball handlers on the court who can create for themselves and others on the floor at the same time. Next year's team needs X. A senior who can mentor and complement the freshman would be ideal, especially as no one knows how the freshman will perform in college. 

And chaperone those late nights.  :) 

Sorry, it's just too easy for the poor fella.  

1 hour ago, IU-DL said:

Help me understand why it's a given that Race is gone? He's still very pro-IU all over social media, he would be a legit contender for 1st team B1G next year, he can stay if he wants and transferring really doesn't do much for him. The dude is a worker, he has verbalized his love for Woody and he loves IU. I want him back, but I pretty much wear crimson goggles at all times.

I don't think he transfers, but may decide it's time to head overseas and make a few bucks.  

1 hour ago, IU-DL said:

Help me understand why it's a given that Race is gone? He's still very pro-IU all over social media, he would be a legit contender for 1st team B1G next year, he can stay if he wants and transferring really doesn't do much for him. The dude is a worker, he has verbalized his love for Woody and he loves IU. I want him back, but I pretty much wear crimson goggles at all times.

I love Race. But I have to put aside my love to objectively assess his role. In reality Woody put him at the four because no one else fit the mold of what Woody wants in that position. Ideally Woody's four is someone with great perimeter skills -- someone who can shoot from distance and create off the dribble. Race proved throughout the year that he can't do either of those. He is a traditional four who is at his best with his back to the basket. Unfortunately he isn't big enough to play the five. His presence helped clog the lane. He was so one-dimensional that unless he was in the post the other team didn't guard him. He bogged down the offense -- along with Kopp and Stewart. He had problems guarding the more authentic Fours throughout the season. He can't contain them on the perimeter. Also, he is a fifth year senior who hasn't learned how to shoot free throws. It was so glaringly obvious at the end of the season that JG was out performing him that JG got more meaningful minutes in the B1G and NCAA tournaments. 

I love Race and thank him for his contributions. I love how he rallied around Woody this time last year. I love him for working hard to come back from all of his injuries. I love what he was doing for his hometown to recognize BLM. All that said, he needs to drastically expand his skill set if IU is to improve next year. 

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I guess you could include Trayce in Big 1.o POY conversations. Is there a ranking of how players finished in the voting?

I'd love to have a handful of double figure scorers with multiple players over 7 rpg and solid shooting percentages. That would be ideal.

Trayce wasn’t in the conversation.  My point was we would have preferred a 15/8 Trayce with more wins than 18/8.

My guesses

Returning: Xavier, Trey, Rob, Tamar, Jordan, Duncomb, Leal

Xavier could very be an All-Big Ten performer next season. Him with Jalen could be a lot of fun! I sure hope Trey, Tamar, and Jordan make a massive massive jump this offseason. Those three will have a MAJOR impact on IU's success the next three years. I have to think if Rob were gone he would've done a senior night speech. Leal is all in. Duncomb will give it another year although I'm not as high on him as I was before the year started. 

50/50: Miller, Race, Durr

Not sure Miller or Durr fit. However, if they leave to transfer to another school do they have to sit out a year? If so, they're probably back. Race is truly 50/50. He did give a senior night speech but also isn't ruling out coming back. 

Probably Gone: Parker, Trayce, Lander

I just think Parker is gone. I also think Lander transfers. There will be possibly three guards ahead of him (X, JHS, and Rob). Trayce will be interesting. I would've had him gone this time a year ago. Right now, he's projected to go undrafted. Would the NIL be a reason for him to come back? If he does come back, Indiana could be a Big Ten/NCAA contender...

We will see how many spots are left. If Parker, Trayce, and Lander are the only ones gone, there will be no room for any transfers. I have to think they lose at least one more in addition to those three. This team has to either develop or get someone in the portal who can knock a shot down. The Big Ten will be wide open next year. Conference is losing a LOT of talent. No reason Indiana cannot be a top 4 team in the Big Ten next year with some improvement. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Trayce wasn’t in the conversation.  My point was we would have preferred a 15/8 Trayce with more wins than 18/8.

Absolutely, I believe most would have been happy with Trayce at 15/8 with more wins.

I'm agnostic where the scoring comes from but studs at the guard, wing, and post to distribute the scoring would work.

31 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Absolutely, I believe most would have been happy with Trayce at 15/8 with more wins.

I'm agnostic where the scoring comes from but studs at the guard, wing, and post to distribute the scoring would work.

It's just more about players being a threat to score.

Stewart & Kopp had one job and neither did it particularly well or consistently. Seem like great team-mates, but aren't high-level B1G players, IMO. I'd be ok with them moving on to the next stage in life. Durr has some value as a big body off the bench (see Purdue game 1) but hard to see him being much of a contributor beyond 8-10mins/game. 

I agree with others that it's hard to see Lander waiting around another year to get a shot. He is a poster child for not enrolling early. I like his potential but expect it to benefit someone else. 

Gonna need to go out and find shooters. I doubt TJD is Woodson's ideal post, but he is a great college player and hate to think where IU would have been the last 3yrs without him. If he comes back and IU can find a couple shooters to play with him maybe they can break through finally. I think that is unlikely, but I'm saying there's a chance. 

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Stewart & Kopp had one job and neither did it particularly well or consistently. Seem like great team-mates,

This is where I greatly differ. Are they good people/students? By all reports, yes. You can be a great person, super kind, say the right things, clap for your teammates, etc. and still not be a great teammate. Give me the teammate that has those qualities AND pushes themselves and their teammates to get better. Give me the teammate that might not be the best athlete, shooter, ball handler, etc. but works to improves it and gets their teammates to improve. Give me the teammate that challenges others. You don't always have to make the shot or get the stop but make the right play the majority of the time.

We had a lot of good to great people on this team. I'm not sure we had a lot of great teammates.

I just hope he goes some place where he can get his life together.  The IG post he had a month ago was downright scary.  Hope he looks to go the low to mid major route where he can play and a high major who just wants to take a flyer on him.

I don’t have IG. Would you mind to DM me what the post said? I didn’t realize things were that bad for him. I really hate to hear that

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, yogisballin said:

I don’t have IG. Would you mind to DM me what the post said? I didn’t realize things were that bad for him. I really hate to hear that

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It was on Tik Toc actually and I posted it on here what he said. I can't seem to find it now but it's in one of these threads.

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Does anyone think we could actually see 5 or 6 guys leave this offseason? So then we would have the 3 freshmen and 2-3 from the transfer portal.

We are getting three newcomers and we are actively recruiting Sparks. Therefore it seems without question that we expect to lose at least four. 

That's not surprising to me. I think five total would be the most likely prediction. Six or four would be the next most likely outcomes.

12 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

This is where I greatly differ. Are they good people/students? By all reports, yes. You can be a great person, super kind, say the right things, clap for your teammates, etc. and still not be a great teammate. Give me the teammate that has those qualities AND pushes themselves and their teammates to get better. Give me the teammate that might not be the best athlete, shooter, ball handler, etc. but works to improves it and gets their teammates to improve. Give me the teammate that challenges others. You don't always have to make the shot or get the stop but make the right play the majority of the time.

We had a lot of good to great people on this team. I'm not sure we had a lot of great teammates.

Why wouldn't you include Kopp here? By all accounts he's a gym rat. He was also probably the most vocal player on the team. I don't think he's a Big Ten level starter, but not sure what else you want from him as a teammate.