Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

For me, Race is the one who should absolutely move on. If he’s gonna stay in college for a 6th year, he should be a piece with someone that has a chance to contend. I’d love him as a 5th option on a really good team. Defender, rebounder, finisher. If Race entered the portal I’m confident he’d have a spectacular offer list. If Theo John can go to Duke, I’ve no doubt Race can get run with a contender. But, if he’s a primary offensive option for you, you’ve definitely got a ceiling. 

Again agree, but I’d still like to see it

See, this sounds exactly exactly right. Not from Woody’s perspective, but from the player’s perspective, these 4, maybe Duncomb, maybe Durr if he would have to sit if he transferred and mayyyyybe Phinisee are the only ones for whom playing here another year really makes any sense to me. For the rest, unless you believe next year’s team will compete for the B1G title and have a chance at a final 4 run, I don’t really see the benefit of staying. But I’ll root for whomever stays and that’s up to them and Woody.

I’m sure Durr is a good kid, but I don’t want him back. I just don’t see how he helps us at all. Duncomb, I definitely want back. I believe he can help, just needs to get stronger

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

17 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What’s simplistic is using the Purdue game as evidence of us being a “more complete team” without Trayce. We beat Purdue because we got a once in a career performance from a bench player. I thought this narrative would’ve been out to bed after Trayce carried us into the tournament, but apparently not. 

The offense utilized the outside game just fine. It generated more open 3s this season that almost every other team in D1. Our players just missed them. 

Why do you want me to look at Tamar’s high school shooting stats instead of his college shooting stats? He shot well in high school, great. He’s not in high school anymore. He’s in the Big 10, and he shot horribly in the Big 10 last year. Could he improve? Certainly. But “we’ll be a good team next year if XYZ role player takes a huge leap” is a conversation we have every single offseason. More often than not it doesn’t happen. A mediocre team with a talent shortage probably isn’t going to improve when its most talented player leaves with no replacement lined up. 

I usually look at high school stats to see what kind of jump they made there. It will let you see what kind of jump they're going to make in college. Tamar is going to go from playing 8-10 minutes a game to 20-25 minutes a game so he should make a huge jump IMO. Or I guess we can say he sucked as a freshman so he will suck all 4 years as well. Sounds like you are in the category that no one will make a jump this offseason. Hopefully you are wrong. But I understand a few people here always think that way. 

My prediction: Michael Durr, Kristian Lander and Parker Stewart will move on. Race Thompson will stay another year. TRJ will go to the NBA Combine but not hire an agent. It wouldn't be out-of-the-question that he stays one more year. Not sure about Miller Kopp or Logan Duncomb. IU may get one transfer out of the portal but it would need to be a big if TJD leaves. If Xavier Johnson and Rob Phinisee stay, along with Tamar Bates, Trey Galloway, Anthony Leal and incoming 5-Star Jalen Hood-Schifino and CJ Gunn, IU isn't very enticing for another guard unless he is a great 3-point shooter.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Small ball has worked for Villanova for a short stint of like 10 years or so. 

I think you know the slight* differences between Villanova v IU and Big East v Big 1.o.

Where would Race ranks among the 5s Villanova has had over the last 10 years? Which IU guards have post games like Villanova guards and will score over their defender plus the opposing 5 as they aren't concerned that much with guarding Race behind the arc? (you could probably add whoever is defending Gallo and/or several other guard/wings in there) With that, who are the other 4 players that are all threats from deep with Race at the 5? Which Big 1.o team has had success with a similar player as Race playing the 5 and what other pieces did they have to make it work?

There is almost always an exception to the rule. If we could become the exception to the rule similar to Villanova I am all for it. I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

My prediction: Michael Durr, Kristian Lander and Parker Stewart will move on. Race Thompson will stay another year. TRJ will go to the NBA Combine but not hire an agent. It wouldn't be out-of-the-question that he stays one more year. Not sure about Miller Kopp or Logan Duncomb. IU may get one transfer out of the portal but it would need to be a big if TJD leaves. If Xavier Johnson and Rob Phinisee stay, along with Tamar Bates, Trey Galloway, Anthony Leal and incoming 5-Star Jalen Hood-Schifino and CJ Gunn, IU isn't very enticing for another guard unless he is a great 3-point shooter.

Honestly, Phinisee, Leal, Galloway, and Bates shouldn't be scary competition for any guard worth bringing in as an upgrade. Phinisee and Leal, especially. Galloway has gotten minutes but has serious flaws in his game that need to be fixed. Bates was highly ranked out of HS and could make a large jump but his numbers from his freshman year shouldn't be a concern for a good, experienced, confident guard.

We hear this argument every offseason about how we can't bring in good players because they'd be scared off by the ones we have even though the ones we have are mediocre as evidenced by the fact that guard play is the team's Achilles heal. 

go iu bb said: "We hear this argument every offseason about how we can't bring in good players because they'd be scared off by the ones we have even though the ones we have are mediocre as evidenced by the fact that guard play is the team's Achilles heal."

Why would a player transfer to a school where there are several players who play the same position when they could transfer to a school that doesn't have any or has very little competition? You can characterize a 5-Star recruit as mediocre but most players who are transferring will understandably believe that a 5-Star recruit is likely to get considerable playing time.

28 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

go iu bb said: "We hear this argument every offseason about how we can't bring in good players because they'd be scared off by the ones we have even though the ones we have are mediocre as evidenced by the fact that guard play is the team's Achilles heal."

Why would a player transfer to a school where there are several players who play the same position when they could transfer to a school that doesn't have any or has very little competition? You can characterize a 5-Star recruit as mediocre but most players who are transferring will understandably believe that a 5-Star recruit is likely to get considerable playing time.

A good player wouldn't be scared of those players and would be confident he could beat them out for PT. 

Bates could end up being very good but his freshman season wasn't very good. 37% on 2P, <30% from 3, 3.9 PPG, and a PER of 6.6 (really bad). He was a 5*/high 4* but that was HS. He will hopefully make a huge improvement but that is far from guaranteed. See Lander, Khristian as an example of a 5* not working out.

In other words, how can guard play be the weakest point of a mediocre team yet so good that it scares good players away? It just doesn't make any sense.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

I suspect the coaching staff will make sure there's enough offseason roster turnover to bring in another shooter or two from the portal. 

Q. On things to improve on...

MIKE WOODSON: Well, shooting is a big part of it. I thought our defense carried us guys, and we didn't shoot the ball extremely well this season. You guys know that. You watched us play, and we got to get better in that area. I'd be foolish to say we don't because we do.

A really good guard isn't transferring to IU in 2022. To think otherwise, is pure fantasy. Woodson can sell IU to a good shooting forward or a center, if TJD leaves. He can't sell IU to a good guard if Xavier Johnson is returning. It won't happen.

39 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

A good player wouldn't be scared of those players and would be confident he could beat them out for PT. 

Bates could end up being very good but his freshman season wasn't very good. 37% on 2P, <30% from 3, 3.9 PPG, and a PER of 6.6 (really bad). He was a 5*/high 4* but that was HS. He will hopefully make a huge improvement but that is far from guaranteed. See Lander, Khristian as an example of a 5* not working out.

In other words, how can guard play be the weakest point of a mediocre team yet so good that it scares good players away? It just doesn't make any sense.

Thing is prospects absolutely look at depth, including upper classmen depth, how many minutes they played, and how they were played, when picking teams. It's just not as simple as saying a good prospect won't be scared -- good prospects understand that freshmen (i.e., Bates, who is a very good player and as you note was highly ranked) often don't get major minutes and that their minutes will increase when they're sophs -- any guard prospect who would be in competition for minutes with Bates is likely to consider him, those that are looking for immediate, major minutes are more likely to pick a team with that need, that's the norm

Furthermore, I hate to say it, but IU basketball does not have a good reputation nationally. The really good players--the kind who would know they are better than anyone currently on the IU squad--aren't interested in IU unless they already have a relationship with one of the coaches.

2 minutes ago, Trish said:

Johnson

Hood

Trey

Kopp

Jordan 

That's who I have starting. I have Race, Kristian, Logan, TJD, Parker, Rob, and Durr transferring or leaving for other opps. 

Trying to be kind and optimistic, but that’s underwhelming 

10 minutes ago, Trish said:

Johnson

Hood

Trey

Kopp

Jordan 

That's who I have starting. I have Race, Kristian, Logan, TJD, Parker, Rob, and Durr transferring or leaving for other opps. 

That's just silly and you know it. There is ZERO chance that Jordan G is starting at the 5 and that Miller Kopp will start next year at the 4.

If Galloway is starting and hasn't developed a reliable  3-point shot, IU will not likely be as good next season as they were this past season.  I would hope Tamar Bates makes a leap and plays to his potential.  And, I hope Leal who is a better shooter than Galloway is ready for more playing time. I agree that Geronimo is obviously not starting at the 5.