Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

13 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't know, spending a year playing basketball and partying with college chicks sounds much better than getting a job and paying bills.  Even if they don't think they'll be Final Four material.

For the love of the game.

Ditto….

19 minutes ago, Josh said:

I don't know, spending a year playing basketball and partying with college chicks sounds much better than getting a job and paying bills.  Even if they don't think they'll be Final Four material.

For the love of the game.

That’s a fair point. If they don’t want to start their lives, ok. But, I suspect if he thinks that’s their thinking, Woody may….intervene.

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What’s simplistic is using the Purdue game as evidence of us being a “more complete team” without Trayce. We beat Purdue because we got a once in a career performance from a bench player. I thought this narrative would’ve been out to bed after Trayce carried us into the tournament, but apparently not. 

The offense utilized the outside game just fine. It generated more open 3s this season that almost every other team in D1. Our players just missed them. 

Why do you want me to look at Tamar’s high school shooting stats instead of his college shooting stats? He shot well in high school, great. He’s not in high school anymore. He’s in the Big 10, and he shot horribly in the Big 10 last year. Could he improve? Certainly. But “we’ll be a good team next year if XYZ role player takes a huge leap” is a conversation we have every single offseason. More often than not it doesn’t happen. A mediocre team with a talent shortage probably isn’t going to improve when its most talented player leaves with no replacement lined up. 

I think a lot of that was by design. Hell, in both Minny games they basically gave every player a 15' cushion daring them to shoot. That was an extreme example but they weren't the only ones. There were other teams that sagged off everyone not named P Stew and Kopp. X had how many open looks against Notre Dame?

I do agree that I need to see it to believe it. Cool if you want to project player xyz improving his % by 10+ over the summer. It's been more often than not that they're a similar player the next season. We'll need major jumps and to hit in the portal to be upper half of the Big 1.o and possibly do something in the dance.

I do have high hopes for Geronimo, Gallo, and Bates but they're just that, hopes, until they actually happen. "We are who we are until there is a pattern that we're not." We were a much better shooting team when we had a few games in the noncon where we weren't atrocious until we weren't really that good at shooting.

1 hour ago, VO5 said:

I’ll also be pretty shocked if Lander returns. Not upset if he goes either 

I just hope he goes some place where he can get his life together.  The IG post he had a month ago was downright scary.  Hope he looks to go the low to mid major route where he can play and a high major who just wants to take a flyer on him.

3 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Apparently you don’t get it.  Our guys suck.  They’ll always suck. They’ll never improve because the team culture sucks. We’ll never get good players without bags of cash and they’ll suck anyway.   Because you go to IU to suck.  Oh, and Assembly hall is old and our cheerleaders wear turtlenecks.  I think that about sums it up.  :) 

Our cheerleaders wearing turtlenecks dominated the IU highlights from our first round loss**

29 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I just hope he goes some place where he can get his life together.  The IG post he had a month ago was downright scary.  Hope he looks to go the low to mid major route where he can play and a high major who just wants to take a flyer on him.

Poor kid is a victim of unfortunate  circumstances.  I agree. A fresh start may be ideal for him.  

46 minutes ago, Demo said:

That’s a fair point. If they don’t want to start their lives, ok. But, I suspect if he thinks that’s their thinking, Woody may….intervene.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it.  I'm sure it's a case by case basis on each player as it should be, but if they love the college life that's great imo.  They had to drag me away kicking and screaming.

Happy to hear Geronimo is coming back - think he's set himself up for some major minutes. But one thing besides his ball handling that he needs to work on is moving onto the next play. His athleticism gives him the confidence to go after every offensive rebound, and rightfully so, but sometimes it's better to move onto the next play. He got called for an over the back a lot this year. Hard to work on that outside of game action, but he'll be needed for major minutes and it doesn't help us with him on the bench for picking up bad fouls 90 feet away from the basket.

Not sure what thread this properly goes, just my observation thinking he'll be stepping into the starting lineup assuming Race and TJD leaving an opening spot for him

4 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

This is the typical response I see when someone doesn’t return someone else’s blind optimism. You’re sitting here wanting to talk about high school stats for a player with a full year of college basketball under his belt. We’ve seen the ridiculous “we’ll be better without Trayce” argument all of the conference season. Then he carried us into the tournament and it stopped for a bit, but now folks are right back to it. Idk about you, but a Durr/Duncomb center rotation doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies.

No you just ignore things that don’t suit your narrative, the straw man oh woe is me stuff is silly, but happy trails to you

3 hours ago, Demo said:

See, this sounds exactly exactly right. Not from Woody’s perspective, but from the player’s perspective, these 4, maybe Duncomb, maybe Durr if he would have to sit if he transferred and mayyyyybe Phinisee are the only ones for whom playing here another year really makes any sense to me. For the rest, unless you believe next year’s team will compete for the B1G title and have a chance at a final 4 run, I don’t really see the benefit of staying. But I’ll root for whomever stays and that’s up to them and Woody.

Agree, makes sense, but if Race were to decide to return and TJD leaves as expected, he could have a strong year as the down- low - to - roam perimeter guy, a 4-out. I’d like to see a Race - Geronimo look. 

16 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Agree, makes sense, but if Race were to decide to return and TJD leaves as expected, he could have a strong year as the down- low - to - roam perimeter guy, a 4-out. I’d like to see a Race - Geronimo look. 

Are you saying Race as the 5?

As a small ball lineup for short stints it could work but having Race as the starting and primary 5 would not be a recipe for success.

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

As a small ball lineup for short stints it could work but having Race as the starting and primary 5 would not be a recipe for success.

Depends on the talent level in the rest of the lineup. Race is a ‘five-out five.’

We’d need a serious talent upgrade at the three and a real defensive option at the five as a bench option.

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

What’s unfortunate is that there are players like Race playing the 5….but not in the Big Ten.  And we are seeing those players get completely taken out of the game in the tourney.

17 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

What’s unfortunate is that there are players like Race playing the 5….but not in the Big Ten.  And we are seeing those players get completely taken out of the game in the tourney.

Race had some nice games this season. He had some matchups against smaller 4s that he should have dominated but sped up. That's not to say that it couldn't workout but the best for Race and IU, if he returns, would be getting really good at everything that would allow him to play as a stretch four.

55 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

For me, Race is the one who should absolutely move on. If he’s gonna stay in college for a 6th year, he should be a piece with someone that has a chance to contend. I’d love him as a 5th option on a really good team. Defender, rebounder, finisher. If Race entered the portal I’m confident he’d have a spectacular offer list. If Theo John can go to Duke, I’ve no doubt Race can get run with a contender. But, if he’s a primary offensive option for you, you’ve definitely got a ceiling. 

1 minute ago, Demo said:

For me, Race is the one who should absolutely move on. If he’s gonna stay in college for a 6th year, he should be a piece with someone that has a chance to contend. I’d love him as a 5th option on a really good team. Defender, rebounder, finisher. If Race entered the portal I’m confident he’d have a spectacular offer list. If Theo John can go to Duke, I’ve no doubt Race can get run with a contender. But, if he’s a primary offensive option for you, you’ve definitely got a ceiling. 

You know a lot of people go to college for 7 years....