Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Bates came to IU as a strong outside shooter, he has the history, technique, form and confidence— but he was a frosh playing mostly spot minutes and adjusting to the college game, he will get there and i’d lay money down on it. He’s a really strong 2-way player who can score at 3 levels. Nitpicking at his frosh numbers is just pointless.

Geronimo comes into a game cold and immediately drills a 3 with good form. His shooting numbers are too low to draw any real conclusions and it just irks me to read posts nitpicking at his percentages, just watch his shot, it’s good. However he doesn’t have the handle at this point to create his outside shot, that will require further development and growth in his game. Based on his big strides this season, i think that will come too, but that’s just projecting, proof   Will have to come from him.

I agree with this, and I think Jordan right now is perfect for the 4 in Woodson's system. In order to take a leap, he would need to improve his perimeter skills. Ball handling would be #1, followed closely by lateral quickness and staying in front of smaller, quicker 2s and 3s. Because he will get switched onto those players. He has the athleticism to recover defensively when he gets beat. But we have seen him commit fouls in that situation multiple times. Staying in front of quick players makes JG so dangerous defensively. 

42 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

We beat Purdue with good guard play. Xavier scored 18 pts and Phinisee had the game of his life, scoring 20 pts and shooting 62% from the field. That’s 2x his season field goal percentage and 4.5x his season ppg. Four years of Rob Phinisee shows that that game was an enormous outlier. But regardless, sure, if we could get that level of guard play every night we could be fine without Trayce. We just don’t have that. Some of our best games this season were when we got great play from both Xavier and Trayce. Michigan - 24 for Trayce, 17 for Xavier; Iowa - 31 for Trayce, 20 for Xavier. 

Tamar Bates has a long ways to go. He shot 33.8% from the field and 29.8% from 3. He shot 26% from the field in Big 10 play. Geronimo shot 31% from 3 and 56.8% from the free throw line this year. Galloway shot 21% from 3 this year. I certainly hope their shooting is better next year… 

Take away Trayce and you’re stuck replacing 18 ppg on 59% from the field. For a team that was so bad on the offensive end, that’s an enormous task. And losing your rim protector when defense is your calling card is also an enormous task. It’s not as simple as just sliding Race over to the 5 (if he even sticks around). He was a big beneficiary of playing next to Trayce. Trayce got a ton of the defensive attention. You’d be asking an undersized Race to essentially be our sole big in an incredibly physical conference. 

It’s way too simplistic to look at the PU game as just Rob shooting out of his mind - he was - and i never said Rob is the answer to our outside shooting or that we don’t need to add outside shooting, I said we do, so you’re overlooking my point, not sure why.

We don’t need out of this world shooting to beat teams, we need good shooting with a more diverse offense that utilizes the outside game, we didn’t do much of that this year, again, at least partly because Kopp and Stew (who is a strong outside shooter) cant create their own shot. Again we need to add that shooting. But Bates is a good shooter, he played spot minutes and as a frosh getting used to the college game. He came to iu a strong shooter, water will find its level (if you want to believe you can just look at his limited frosh numbers and judge his shooting have at it, we’ll just disagree)

28 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

It’s way too simplistic to look at the PU game as just Rob shooting out of his mind - he was - and i never said Rob is the answer to our outside shooting or that we don’t need to add outside shooting, I said we do, so you’re overlooking my point, not sure why.

We don’t need out of this world shooting to beat teams, we need good shooting with a more diverse offense that utilizes the outside game, we didn’t do much of that this year, again, at least partly because Kopp and Stew (who is a strong outside shooter) cant create their own shot. Again we need to add that shooting. But Bates is a good shooter, he played spot minutes and as a frosh getting used to the college game. He came to iu a strong shooter, water will find its level (if you want to believe you can just look at his limited frosh numbers and judge his shooting have at it, we’ll just disagree)

What’s simplistic is using the Purdue game as evidence of us being a “more complete team” without Trayce. We beat Purdue because we got a once in a career performance from a bench player. I thought this narrative would’ve been out to bed after Trayce carried us into the tournament, but apparently not. 

The offense utilized the outside game just fine. It generated more open 3s this season that almost every other team in D1. Our players just missed them. 

Why do you want me to look at Tamar’s high school shooting stats instead of his college shooting stats? He shot well in high school, great. He’s not in high school anymore. He’s in the Big 10, and he shot horribly in the Big 10 last year. Could he improve? Certainly. But “we’ll be a good team next year if XYZ role player takes a huge leap” is a conversation we have every single offseason. More often than not it doesn’t happen. A mediocre team with a talent shortage probably isn’t going to improve when its most talented player leaves with no replacement lined up. 

27 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Apparently you don’t get it.  Our guys suck.  They’ll always suck. They’ll never improve because the team culture sucks. We’ll never get good players without bags of cash and they’ll suck anyway.   Because you go to IU to suck.  Oh, and Assembly hall is old and our cheerleaders wear turtlenecks.  I think that about sums it up.  :) 

14 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The offense utilized the outside game just fine. It generated more open 3s this season that almost every other team in D1. Our players just missed them. 

Interesting.  It seems like aloha disagrees.  

14 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Apparently you don’t get it.  Our guys suck.  They’ll always suck. They’ll never improve because the team culture sucks. We’ll never get good players without bags of cash and they’ll suck anyway.   Because you go to IU to suck.  Oh, and Assembly hall is old and our cheerleaders wear turtlenecks.  I think that about sums it up.  :) 

I know some fans don’t like holding the program to a high standard. Apparently you’re one of them. A tournament appearance and 30 point blowout every now and then is the most we should expect from IU basketball. You’re right. 

I want to take our tournament appearance and build on it next year. Maybe make it to the round of 32, maybe even a sweet 16. Keeping Trayce is a key way that we do that. We have enough holes to fill this offseason without also having a 6’9 18 ppg hole on top of them. We lose him and we take a big step back.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I know some fans don’t like holding the program to a high standard. Apparently you’re one of them. A tournament appearance and 30 point blowout every now and then is the most we should expect from IU basketball. You’re right. 

A high standard is fine.  But being Debbie downer at every turn is a miserable life to lead.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.   

40 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I want to take our tournament appearance and build on it next year. Maybe make it to the round of 32, maybe even a sweet 16. Keeping Trayce is a key way that we do that. We have enough holes to fill this offseason without also having a 6’9 18 ppg hole on top of them. We lose him and we take a big step back.

You’re really just looking for arguments, I get it, have fun with your ire.

42 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

So far we have Bates, Leal, Galloway and Geronimo all saying their back. Am I missing anyone else so far?

Nope seems like that’s it so far. Any idea of who else is returning or going?

21 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

You’re really just looking for arguments, I get it, have fun with your ire.

This is the typical response I see when someone doesn’t return someone else’s blind optimism. You’re sitting here wanting to talk about high school stats for a player with a full year of college basketball under his belt. We’ve seen the ridiculous “we’ll be better without Trayce” argument all of the conference season. Then he carried us into the tournament and it stopped for a bit, but now folks are right back to it. Idk about you, but a Durr/Duncomb center rotation doesn’t give me the warm fuzzies.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Seeing this season as a success doesn’t mean you don’t have high expectations for the program. 

Im happy with the season and realize it is just a step to where fans and the staff want to be. I don’t think anyone would disagree. 

21 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Nope seems like that’s it so far. Any idea of who else is returning or going?

I have not. I’m guessing meetings will start taking place next week. So hopefully we hear something soon enough. I would be surprised if Lander is back. But don’t know about anyone else.

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I have not. I’m guessing meetings will start taking place next week. So hopefully we hear something soon enough. I would be surprised if Lander is back. But don’t know about anyone else.

I’ll also be pretty shocked if Lander returns. Not upset if he goes either 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

So far we have Bates, Leal, Galloway and Geronimo all saying their back. Am I missing anyone else so far?

See, this sounds exactly exactly right. Not from Woody’s perspective, but from the player’s perspective, these 4, maybe Duncomb, maybe Durr if he would have to sit if he transferred and mayyyyybe Phinisee are the only ones for whom playing here another year really makes any sense to me. For the rest, unless you believe next year’s team will compete for the B1G title and have a chance at a final 4 run, I don’t really see the benefit of staying. But I’ll root for whomever stays and that’s up to them and Woody.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Add in JHS, Banks & Gunn and that’s an ok start.

I realize players can, and hopefully will, improve but when we need a bucket and/or perimeter offensive production I’d be a bit (actually very) nervous about depending on Galloway/Bates/JG/Leal. I like all of them, for varying reasons, and 100% support them but as someone else mentioned they will have to make a huge leap to be consistent threats next year.

If X stays, guys improve and JHS is a stud we could be in decent shape but there are a lot of unknowns and things (improvement) that need to fall in place.