Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

1 minute ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Keep in mind, Rob and Race get to leave and play somewhere else immediately.

well yes but if they are coming back to college and Woody wants them here I am not sure why they wouldn't come to IU. My point was simply that I would be surprised if ALL 6 of those guys left. 

It'll be interesting to see if this staff can finally put together a full team. We've rarely had a complete team capable of competing for championships over the last several decades. When we've had a great pg we've lacked capable bigs and play making wings. When we've had dominate post players we've lacked a pg.

TJD is going to leave a massive hole. Can we get a capable replacement while upgrading our guards and wings?

9 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

It'll be interesting to see if this staff can finally put together a full team. We've rarely had a complete team capable of competing for championships over the last several decades. When we've had a great pg we've lacked capable bigs and play making wings. When we've had dominate post players we've lacked a pg.

TJD is going to leave a massive hole. Can we get a capable replacement while upgrading our guards and wings?

Crean put together one absolutely complete team roster: 

• Yogi, by then a true championship quality point, RoJo, Zeisloft, Troy, Bryant, OG, Juwan, and Beilfeldt. That was an eight player championship-quality rotation.

Two things went wrong:

1. We were far, far thinner at guard than up front. When RoJo got hurt we had to use walk-on Harrison Niego as our third guard. The timing on RoJo's injury was brutal.
  2. We ran into the eventual champ, UNC, took away their inside game, and a low shooting % guard got super hot. 

But that roster for IU was loaded.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Crean put together one absolutely complete team roster: 

• Yogi, by then a true championship quality point, RoJo, Zeisloft, Troy, Bryant, OG, Juwan, and Beilfeldt. That was an eight player championship-quality rotation.

Two things went wrong:

1. We were far, far thinner at guard than up front. When RoJo got hurt we had to use walk-on Harrison Niego as our third guard. The timing on RoJo's injury was brutal.
  2. We ran into the eventual champ, UNC, took away their inside game, and a low shooting % guard got super hot. 

But that roster for IU was loaded.

That roster was loaded. And that doesn't even mention that Blackmon Jr. was on that squad and got hurt pre-conference. It was the most talented IU team in a long long time. 

IF TJD leaves, the "hole" he will create can be filled a number of ways. Doesn't have to be another All American at that position. Doesn't even have to be all B1G, as long as you create an offense to score, and a defense that can protect the rim.

I fully wish that Galloway would start, and with a few exceptions bring the ball up the court. We'd get a lot more transition baskets, get into our offense with more than 15 sec left on the shot clock, blah, blah, blah.

CMW has enough experience to develop more than one game plan . His recruits are far more talented than some of our current guys, and if they buy in...we'll be just fine.

I want a dominant big and I want it now.......  Well, for after TJD leaves....  

I would also enjoy the Baylor style of play if we can get the right guards.  I think Bates will eventually flourish.  I think Geronimo could get there.  JHS has a lot of potential.  But we don't be preseason top 25 unless we get 1 or maybe even 2 starting level transfers.  (Race staying would help a lot)  

Can anyone clarify the specifics on if a player’s scholarship counts against the limit of 13 if they use their free Covid year?  I’ve heard that it counts, I’ve heard that it doesn’t, and I’ve also heard it counts but only if the player transfers to a new school and uses the extra year there (i.e Joey Brunk at OSU / Al Durham at Providence).  I have no idea which is true at this point, and I suppose how that works could  have an impact on next year’s roster.  I believe we have six seniors plus TJD who I'm assuming won't play a fourth year, and with only having a 3-man 2022 class signed there will be room for some of those guys to stick around regardless of their scholarship counting.  Just trying to get a feel for if the super senior source is unlimited or not. 

It's definitely all speculation at this point, I'd bet many of the players don't know if they're returning yet.  I'm sure many have ideas that if __ happens they'll go and if __ happens they'll stay.  

As for TJD, we heard chatter that he was gone after one year regardless.  Then his sophomore year we heard that the plan was always 2 years tops.  Then he never put his name in the portal nor did he go to the combine.  It feels like he was intent on staying all along.  I ain't gonna believe he's gone after this year until he's gone.

25 minutes ago, craigyv88 said:

Can anyone clarify the specifics on if a player’s scholarship counts against the limit of 13 if they use their free Covid year?  I’ve heard that it counts, I’ve heard that it doesn’t, and I’ve also heard it counts but only if the player transfers to a new school and uses the extra year there (i.e Joey Brunk at OSU / Al Durham at Providence).  I have no idea which is true at this point, and I suppose how that works could  have an impact on next year’s roster.  I believe we have six seniors plus TJD who I'm assuming won't play a fourth year, and with only having a 3-man 2022 class signed there will be room for some of those guys to stick around regardless of their scholarship counting.  Just trying to get a feel for if the super senior source is unlimited or not. 

It did not count last year. It counts this year, and going forward.

13 max scholly players.

32 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It did not count last year. It counts this year, and going forward.

13 max scholly players.

To add to this the only ones that wouldn’t of counted against the 13 max schollys were seniors last year that  chose to say with their team.   If Brunk and Al decided to stay and play for IU they wouldn’t of counted against IU’s 13 scholarships but since they transferred they count against Ohio St and Providnences scholarship numbers for this year.  

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

It may not be the player's choice in every case. CMW seems entirely capable of having the hard conversation about what's best for the program. The kids he is recruiting look to me significantly different than the ones currently on the roster for the most part.

Expand on that- what do you mean? 

According to this, posted on another IU board, we are 3 players over the limit as it stands right now based on current eligibility.

So we have to lose 3 regardless unless something about COVID years not counting against the scholarship count.

scholgrid.PNG.c5a5c342871290576fe6a1278cc95355.PNG

24 minutes ago, CrossboneIU22 said:

According to this, posted on another IU board, we are 3 players over the limit as it stands right now based on current eligibility.

So we have to lose 3 regardless unless something about COVID years not counting against the scholarship count.

scholgrid.PNG.c5a5c342871290576fe6a1278cc95355.PNG

The 3 most likely to leave: Trayce Jackson Davis, Xavier Johnson and Miller Kopp. I think Race leaves as well. Maybe even Lander. 

It's interesting to play the he goes / he stays game but the hard fact is that you really need to view every member of the team as a 1-year rental under the current rules.   No matter how much we think a player is wedded to Indiana University, every scholarship player has a desire to play meaningful minutes in their college career.  I'd love to be the fly on the wall to know what kind of vibes the staff is picking up

But FWIW here's my thoughts:

• TJD - Goes pro
  • Race - Moves on with his life
  • Lander - Looks for playing time elsewhere
  • X - Transfers elsewhere (maybe with some encouragement)
  • Kopp - Still looking for greener pastures
  • Rob - I just don't know

16 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It's interesting to play the he goes / he stays game but the hard fact is that you really need to view every member of the team as a 1-year rental under the current rules.   No matter how much we think a player is wedded to Indiana University, every scholarship player has a desire to play meaningful minutes in their college career.  I'd love to be the fly on the wall to know what kind of vibes the staff is picking up

But FWIW here's my thoughts:

• TJD - Goes pro
  • Race - Moves on with his life
  • Lander - Looks for playing time elsewhere
  • X - Transfers elsewhere (maybe with some encouragement)
  • Kopp - Still looking for greener pastures
  • Rob - I just don't know

It's a good post, but as an eternal believer in the good of people, there are few things I am sure of:

• Anthony Leal and Trayce Jackson Davis are completely committed to Indiana University. There is no other college basketball destination for either of them. I cannot imagine Trey Galloway ever playing for a college program other than IU either.
  • If Xavier Johnson continues to play college basketball, it will be for Mike Woodson. Rob Phinisee too.