Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Scot

QB Bazelak picks IU

8 hours ago, Leo said:

Three actually

If he wants them, yes.  As a true freshman he played a couple of games but not enough to count as a year.  Played the next two at Mizzou, starting a few as a redshirt sophomore and starting eleven games last year.  But with covid, he's only had one year that counts.  I would guess he'll go two more years.

B1G get for program.  A seasoned, traditional SEC QB with good numbers.  Provided the OL can do their job,..IU, with this class and a boatload of solid transfers should be very competitive.  Congrats to Allen and those on the phone.

Nice pickup for IU for sure. However, We won’t be competitive until we have a solid OL line…we get that, then we compete! Calm down

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If he wants them, yes.  As a true freshman he played a couple of games but not enough to count as a year.  Played the next two at Mizzou, starting a few as a redshirt sophomore and starting eleven games last year.  But with covid, he's only had one year that counts.  I would guess he'll go two more years.

So how did he go from starter to expendable? Seems like a solid pick up. Maybe a safer game manager type than a risk taker but I think you can build from what 2-9 with him.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

18 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

So how did he go from starter to expendable? Seems like a solid pick up. Maybe a safer game manager type than a risk taker but I think you can build from what 2-9 with him.

Something must have happened between the end of the regular season and the bowl game. He started every game including the last game with the exception of one game where he was too injured to play.   IMO, I think he let the staff know he was going to enter the portal.  He entered the day after Mizzou's bowl game, I believe.  He stated after the game that he had been thinking about it for weeks but he wanted to be available for his team in the bowl game.

FWIW, Mizzou was 6-6 in the regular season last year and they don't exactly have a great history.  Four of those six wins did come against teams that went to bowls.  He also did it while playing the second half of the year on a bad hamstring.

The previous year (2020 season), playing only against SEC teams due to it being the covid year, Mizzou went 5-5.  He put up a couple of monster games, including a 29 of 34 for 406 yards and 4 TDs against LSU in a 45-41 win.  

Although his game is suited best to short and intermediate routes, I wouldn't necessary call him a game manager.  Mizzou had a nice offense when he was there and put up 29 points/game last year.  The defense was horrible.....finished 113th out of 130 in D1.

9 hours ago, 8bucks said:

I have not seen him play a single snap but looking at his numbers he must be a risk taker.  23 touchdowns to 17 interceptions?  I don't like that at all.

Some history of Balzelak:  Started with Alter for two years before committing to Missouri. Was listed at 6-4 and 215 as senior in high school.   Wanted to play basketball, too.  But injuries stopped that.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/alter-good-pledge-play-football-missouri/B9XxIqM8G6cTEfGh58Ph7N/

9 hours ago, Josh said:

I have not seen him play a single snap but looking at his numbers he must be a risk taker.  23 touchdowns to 17 interceptions?  I don't like that at all.

He does sometimes force things.  The lack of touchdown passes I wouldn't be too concerned about.  Mizzou averaged about 30 ppg when he was their starting quarterback and tended to run the ball in the red zone more often.  I'd say he's comparable to Ben Chappell BUT he has three more years to develop.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:40 PM, 8bucks said:

I think he played hurt this past season and was not very mobile.   Not sure how mobile he is when healthy.

5 hours ago, iuswingman said:

I think he played hurt this past season and was not very mobile.   Not sure how mobile he is when healthy.

He did play hurt last season -- hamstring issue.  He is a guy that is a pocket type QB and won't look to run -- that said, he was a hard guy to sack at Mizzou.  Only sacked 27 times in 722 pass attempts.