Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB vs #13/12 Ohio State - 01/06/22 @ 7:00 on FS1

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

In my opinion?

You are getting awfully fired up because someone thought it a bit much to be, as you put it, "questioning the scope of (Meechie freakin' Johnson's) experience."

Just to be clear Meechie Johnson is one of hundreds of players over the years that have said this is the best atmosphere they have ever played in. 

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

After watching the second half again, the frosh (playing in his second season) wing coming off the bench might be the leader we’ve been needing. He was actually communicating getting back on defense in transition, bringing everyone together, and brought the energy. I can’t wait until the day where (almost) everyone who sees the floor brings that level of energy and effort. It’s crazy that there is a noticeable difference between one or two and the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I guess this is a double-edged sword. On one hand - completely agree with everything you just said.

On the other hand, where's the leadership, energy, and communication when Galloway isn't available?

On the third hand :) watch Galloway play like crap and with no energy against Minny on Sunday.

On the fourth hand, probably not -- Galloway rocks.

31 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

This team is going to be the death of me.

They can't beat crappy Penn State in Happy Valley, and then stomp all over a ranked Ohio State at home.

The PSU game was tough to swallow but realize it was a game where IU shot it's 2nd worst fg %, 3rd worst 3PT%, and PSU shot it's best 3PT % of the season, against some well defended 3's. For an IU team that is playing excellent defense, it was just one of those nights. PU lost under similar circumstances against Rutgers and is 1-2 in the B1G. The B1G is going to be battle all season, I think IU is going to end up being a high second tier team in the conference by seasons end.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

After watching the second half again, the frosh (playing in his second season) wing coming off the bench might be the leader we’ve been needing. He was actually communicating getting back on defense in transition, bringing everyone together, and brought the energy. I can’t wait until the day where (almost) everyone who sees the floor brings that level of energy and effort. It’s crazy that there is a noticeable difference between one or two and the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This free year is messing with everyone.   Fox in their graphics show TJD as a sophomore during the game which is fine if they want to go by eligibility but when they took it back to the studio.  The Fox guys called him an upper classmen. Lol.  

3 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

This free year is messing with everyone.   Fox in their graphics show TJD as a sophomore during the game which is fine if they want to go by eligibility but when they took it back to the studio.  The Fox guys called him an upper classmen. Lol.  

So TJD is a Covidshirt Junior?

20 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I guess this is a double-edged sword. On one hand - completely agree with everything you just said.

On the other hand, where's the leadership, energy, and communication when Galloway isn't available?

On the third hand :) watch Galloway play like crap and with no energy against Minny on Sunday.

Some guys are just wired differently.It's an ability just like physical attributes. Yogi was a guy that got everything and more out of his ability. He is kinda Dane Fife-y as well.

40 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Also, can we get a replay of the reverse layup by Trey in the first half? That was a heck of a play.

That was exciting!  Did see that play at Ohio State fan site Eleven Warriors.  But it was stuck in the middle of the game highlights.

Was reflecting on the game.  At first TJD missed 3, I think, and I held my breath.  OSU got an 8-point lead and I was sitting back shaking my head.  But the defense won the game.  Sharing the ball on offense won the game.  Movement won the game.  Controlling the paint on offense and defense won the game.  Messing with OSU's passing lanes won the game.

Attitude...I mean I have hardly ever seen the swagger from IU like last night.  Slamming the ball off of Brunk's head was quite a statement.  TJD talking to OSU players...have you seen that before?  I loved the 19 second game buzzer going off. Loved the assists and the scorers thanking the feeders.   And IU did get some luck going...but they made the luck.

I wonder about OSU players that didn't perform their usual jump shooting and going after the loose balls after the first 8 minutes or so.  Their Covid break could explain their lethargy and lack of legs.  Maybe.  They just got lucky winning their last game in OT.

Galloway is a spark.  Good to have one on the team!

IU blew out #13 at SSAH.  But the stars and planets were all in alignment.

Did it make up for the loss at PSU?   No, not really.

Don't get cocky, kids.

34 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In my opinion?

You are getting kinda fired up because someone thought it a bit much to be, as you put it, "questioning the scope of (Meechie freakin' Johnson's) experience."

Let's not confuse "lots of people agree and are allowed to say so" with "group think."

Getting worked up? Hardly, I have yet to go on an expletive-filled tirade over this. Although I haven't had enough coffee to get there this morning. Come on Stu, you've been around long enough to know how group think works on these boards. Whether you'd admit it in a reply or not is a different story. I've found that calling out certain behavior here shines enough of a light on it to make it go away. ;-)

Not that I'm naive enough to believe that my response to a "meaningless" tweet would derail an ignorant poster questioning my fandom. On that, if a tweet is "meaningless" and someone replies to that "meaningless" post wouldn't that post then be "meaningless" and not worthy of a reply? I guess that "meaningless" post struck some in a not so "meaningless" way enough to get a reply.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Getting worked up? Hardly, I have yet to go on an expletive-filled tirade over this. Although I haven't had enough coffee to get there this morning. Come on Stu, you've been around long enough to know how group think works on these boards. Whether you'd admit it in a reply or not is a different story. I've found that calling out certain behavior here shines enough of a light on it to make it go away. ;-)

Not that I'm naive enough to believe that my response to a "meaningless" tweet would derail an ignorant poster questioning my fandom. On that, if a tweet is "meaningless" and someone replies to that "meaningless" post wouldn't that post then be "meaningless" and not worthy of a reply? I guess that "meaningless" post struck some in a not so "meaningless" way enough to get a reply.

Never enough coffee for me! I should start an off-topic coffee thread. Great game last night - as I said to others already in pms...let's move on.

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Just to be clear Meechie Johnson is one of hundreds of players over the years that have said this is the best atmosphere they have ever played in. 

I think AH is special too. My stance wasn't that AH isn't special. It's that AH isn't as packed, loud, and as special as it has been in the past. We have a ton of fans that still show up and show out despite a team not playing up to standards for several years now.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think AH is special too. My stance wasn't that AH isn't special. It's that AH isn't as packed, loud, and as special as it has been in the past. We have a ton of fans that still show up and show out despite a team not playing up to standards for several years now.

Apparently, for whatever reason, AH was way better than usual for a no-student crowd last night. I saw a good panoramic picture that showed the lower level completely full and some sitting in the balconies. 

Not sure why, but when FS1 switched from the IU game to the Kohl Center Wisky game, the crowd buzz at IU seemed incredibly high in comparison.

Them were some fired up blue-hairs and they were rewarded for their efforts - good for them.

8 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

That was exciting!  Did see that play at Ohio State fan site Eleven Warriors.  But it was stuck in the middle of the game highlights.

Was reflecting on the game.  At first TJD missed 3, I think, and I held my breath.  OSU got an 8-point lead and I was sitting back shaking my head.  But the defense won the game.  Sharing the ball on offense won the game.  Movement won the game.  Controlling the paint on offense and defense won the game.  Messing with OSU's passing lanes won the game.

Attitude...I mean I have hardly ever seen the swagger from IU like last night.  Slamming the ball off of Brunk's head was quite a statement.  TJD talking to OSU players...have you seen that before?  I loved the 19 second game buzzer going off. Loved the assists and the scorers thanking the feeders.   And IU did get some luck going...but they made the luck.

I wonder about OSU players that didn't perform their usual jump shooting and going after the loose balls after the first 8 minutes or so.  Their Covid break could explain their lethargy and lack of legs.  Maybe.  They just got lucky winning their last game in OT.

Galloway is a spark.  Good to have one on the team!

IU blew out #13 at SSAH.  But the stars and planets were all in alignment.

Did it make up for the loss at PSU?   No, not really.

Don't get cocky, kids.

The good thing is students aren't back yet to be patting them on the back and telling them how great they are. But should be a fun atmosphere on Sunday. 

42 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Why has this been an issue for many years now? I kind of like the approach porkchop (do I get my IU fancard back for calling him that?! or is it revoked because I can understand the approach he's taking and that might be uncouth to other Hoosier fans) is taking in recruiting. We seem to get some talented players that just go through the motions. There are little bits and pieces of energy and leadership but nothing that jumps out from an entire unit or class. I'd like to see Galloway and X push players like Race and TJD to up their game and leadership. When we play with the energy and togetherness like we did last night we're a tourney team. When we play like we did against PSU we could lose out. Aren't we supposed to be an older team where we don't get these highs and lows?

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Apparently, for whatever reason, AH was way better than usual for a no-student crowd last night. I saw a good panoramic picture that showed the lower level completely full and some sitting in the balconies. 

Not sure why, but when FS1 switched from the IU game to the Kohl Center Wisky game, the crowd buzz at IU seemed incredibly high in comparison.

Them were some fired up blue-hairs and they were rewarded for their efforts - good for them.

I'm sure @ALASKA HOOSIER could explain why the blue-hairs in Wisconsin don't get fired up, when he returns from hibernation in July or August.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why has this been an issue for many years now? I kind of like the approach porkchop (do I get my IU fancard back for calling him that?! or is it revoked because I can understand the approach he's taking and that might be uncouth to other Hoosier fans) is taking in recruiting. We seem to get some talented players that just go through the motions. There are little bits and pieces of energy and leadership but nothing that jumps out from an entire unit or class. I'd like to see Galloway and X push players like Race and TJD to up their game and leadership. When we play with the energy and togetherness like we did last night we're a tourney team. When we play like we did against PSU we could lose out. Aren't we supposed to be an older team where we don't get these highs and lows?

30 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Some guys are just wired differently.It's an ability just like physical attributes. Yogi was a guy that got everything and more out of his ability. He is kinda Dane Fife-y as well.

I think eyedoc hit the nail on the head. Some guys are just wired differently. It's one of the reasons that I love Davison on Wisky when so many others hate him. He's that guy.

Seems that part of recruiting is to find "that guy."

49 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

The PSU game was tough to swallow but realize it was a game where IU shot it's 2nd worst fg %, 3rd worst 3PT%, and PSU shot it's best 3PT % of the season, against some well defended 3's. For an IU team that is playing excellent defense, it was just one of those nights. PU lost under similar circumstances against Rutgers and is 1-2 in the B1G. The B1G is going to be battle all season, I think IU is going to end up being a high second tier team in the conference by seasons end.

This is just not factual. They hit one ridiculous three and many wide-open, take time to phone home and tell your parents how awesome you're playing, threes. Our defense against PSU, specifically with on ball screens and over helping, was terrible.

5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think eyedoc hit the nail on the head. Some guys are just wired differently. It's one of the reasons that I love Davison on Wisky when so many others hate him. He's that guy.

Seems that part of recruiting is to find "that guy."

We need to find more than just one of those guys. We obviously need talent but we also need leaders and energy guys to push that talent. Galloway might be that perfect piece to get things going. Although it will take more than just Galloway because we have more than a few players that will just go through the motions if they have their way.

Had to watch on delay. Good win no doubt. Nice to not be sweating it out and actually finishing. TJD was a man among boys. As good of a win as it was if we don't build off of it then it is just a nice singular win in early conference play and nothing more. Need to beat the Goofers and start gaining momentum.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk