Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Lineup Changes?

8 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

Galloway should be starting over Kopp, and it’s not even close as far as I’m concerned. It was clear before the injury and he just proved it again on Thursday. 

I actually like the 3 guard offense and Stewart is a better shooter than Kopp.  With Galloway starting, Stewart will get a lot more open looks!  

30 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Geronimo’s main issue is he can’t hit free throws and he turns the ball over too much, when he starts doing that consistently and turning the ball over less his minutes will go up, IMO

I really hope he has an Oladipo-like work ethic because he has the potential to be a dominant player. He has elite length and athleticism, plays with a high motor, and was known as a capable shooter coming out of high school. His form is pretty good and I think he’s better in that regard than we’ve seen. If they pair him with the right trainer and he’s willing to put in the hours, he could be special.

My concern is that I don’t think he understands his ceiling. I saw an interview where he said something like “God gave me this body to rebound so that’s what I’m going to do.” I appreciate his willingness to play his role, but I hope he realizes he could do a heck of a lot more.

3 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

I really hope he has an Oladipo-like work ethic because he has the potential to be a dominant player. He has elite length and athleticism, plays with a high motor, and was known as a capable shooter coming out of high school. His form is pretty good and I think he’s better in that regard than we’ve seen. If they pair him with the right trainer and he’s willing to put in the hours, he could be special.

My concern is that I don’t think he understands his ceiling. I saw an interview where he said something like “God gave me this body to rebound so that’s what I’m going to do.” I appreciate his willingness to play his role, but I hope he realizes he could do a heck of a lot more.

I agree with his form, that’s why I hope he starts hitting free throws.  His hands are huge and I think he shots more with his palm and not his fingers. That’s correctable, IMO

Last thing I will say on this topic.  I just feel that always looking at the negative in everything would be a depressing way to live.  We won at home by 16 against a ranked team but some wants to look at what we did bad than what we did right.  No team or players are perfect and if you are waiting for perfection you will be waiting forever.  I think if you would watch the game as a fan instead of a coach it would make for a more enjoyable experience.  Us old timers think we are a coach because we use to watch RMK show and that makes qualified to be a college basketball coach 

35 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I actually like the 3 guard offense and Stewart is a better shooter than Kopp.  With Galloway starting, Stewart will get a lot more open looks!  

Definitely. Galloway really unlocks our offense. Guard him close and he’s quick enough off the dribble to get to the rim. Give him slack and he uses off-ball movement to get the defense out of position. He’s probably the best amongst the guards at making the entry pass into the post which is vital for us. And, most importantly, he generally makes the right decision with the ball. I’m not sure I can say that about anyone else on our team.

9 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

He does. He started bball late, his game's grown tremendously coming into IU, he's starting to earn more minutes as he's getting the speed and positioning of Woodson's sets better.

some advanced stats worth noting on him -- he produces at a high level in limited minutes. He has to continue to work on avoiding fouling and yes his FT's, but his D is already solid, he can guard multiple positions. He's one of the guys I really enjoy watching develop, high ceiling.h

stats:

Points per 40 min: 15.3 (last year, 11.3) -- in conference, 15.6

3-point percentage so far 31%, but that's on 13 shots, still too small a sample size

Boards per 40 min: 14.3, in conference 13.3

-- he's currently 3rd on the team overall with 59 boards, despite being 8th in minutes per game

He's also 3rd on the team in blocks (7)

And 4th in free throws attempted -- all the more reason to shore up his FT shooting.

The kid's good

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2022.html

1 minute ago, Bigred3588 said:

Definitely. Galloway really unlocks our offense. Guard him close and he’s quick enough off the dribble to get to the rim. Give him slack and he uses off-ball movement to get the defense out of position. He’s probably the best amongst the guards at making the entry pass into the post which is vital for us. And, most importantly, he generally makes the right decision with the ball. I’m not sure I can say that about anyone else on our team.

All of this is true…in our last game against OSU.

Let’s hope it’s a trend, not an outlier 

3 hours ago, Bigred3588 said:

I like that description. Not that he's elite in anything specific, but to me he's active, and creates chaos (in a good way). 

He's definitely a guy that impacts the flow of things. Not sure I think he's a guy that unlocks an elite level of IU play, but he definitely unlocks several aspects across the team. He's like good grease lol. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

and Phinisee's guide hand is too high on top of the ball.  otherwise Phin's shot looks nice but that stable set hand is key. 

Right? His form looks pretty darn good for a shot that doesn't go in enough. That top hand must really be squeezing down on the ball.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Right? His form looks pretty darn good for a shot that doesn't go in enough. That top hand must really be squeezing down on the ball.

gotta wonder.  The other 2 things.  He elevates higher than most for his 3.  Kinda like Yogi.  If he is more set shooting them in practice that could explain some of the discrepancy.  Also on catch and shoot situations, he looks rushed and sometimes seems to be bobbling the ball as his shot is getting started.  When he is wide open, it looks pretty darn good and should go in like the 4-9 he did vs Minnesota unguarded.  

44 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

gotta wonder.  The other 2 things.  He elevates higher than most for his 3.  Kinda like Yogi.  If he is more set shooting them in practice that could explain some of the discrepancy.  Also on catch and shoot situations, he looks rushed and sometimes seems to be bobbling the ball as his shot is getting started.  When he is wide open, it looks pretty darn good and should go in like the 4-9 he did vs Minnesota unguarded.  

He also takes that slight step back to get behind the line too often. Threes are a low percentage shot for him but that one is even lower. A lot of our issues is getting shooters in the best position to hit the highest percentage.

Confidence my friends. You can shoot and shoot all you want and have the greatest form but all great/good shooters have a big Ego’s. They are usually alpha’s who have Extreme confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk