Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Lineup Changes?

5 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I actually think Bates and Galloway can play it and the ball probably won’t stick.  It’s not like either one we have played has been stellar!  And Lander isn’t the answer either.  Plus my lineup would be temporary to serve two purposes:

1) Get Bates in there to develop more confidence 

2) Light a fire under X’s @$$.  Nobody is entitled, so play like it

Bates needs to play more but he has missed a little time with those personal matters.  I think his time is coming but not at point guard.

I’m probably the biggest Galloway fan on here but I don’t want to see what some of these BIG10 guards would do to Bates or Galloway if they are playing point.

48 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

This is the thing......you can feel that X has some room to grow at the point guard position.  But I can not see how anyone would feel that right now he isn't our best point guard.

I 100% agree!  His basketball IQ and court recognition have a lot to be desired.  He is quick, but there really isn’t much of anything I like about his game

7 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Not a bad thought!  I sort of like it!  I think a smaller lineup could work and make us quicker.  What would be your lineup?

Not our best players but ones that compliment each other the best.

Johnson, Leal, Galloway, Kopp, Jackson-Davis.

- primary ball handler

- 2 slashers

- 3 outside shooters

- 1 in 4 out 

- 2 that move well off the ball

- room for TJD to work and slashers to get to the basket 

4 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Bates needs to play more but he has missed a little time with those personal matters.  I think his time is coming but not at point guard.

I’m probably the biggest Galloway fan on here but I don’t want to see what some of these BIG10 guards would do to Bates or Galloway if they are playing point.

Maybe but I do think Galloway can hold his own.  Bates is still learning 

2 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

- primary ball handler

- 2 slashers

- 3 outside shooters

- 1 in 4 out 

It also looks like Stewart and Kopp will be separated by your lineup 

12 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Which poster in particular?

He just doesn’t realize most of us are just speaking hypothetically.  We are all frustrated.  We all think this team should be better and getting beat by Penn State was the straw that broke the camel’s back

13 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Which poster in particular?

I just think in general this fan base has gotten worse the last 15 years over what it was in past. I just think anyone who would want a starting lineup without a true PG doesn't know the game.  X has his flaws, but he gives us the best chance of winning and his shooting from 3 has not been bad.  Also, RP has started to come on and anyone who thinks he should not get playing time doesn't know the game.  Everyone just looks at the offensive side of the ball but RP ids our best on the ball defender.  He pretty much saved us twice against MSU shutting down Winston on the last plays of the game.

5 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

- primary ball handler

- 2 slashers

- 3 outside shooters

- 1 in 4 out 

I don’t know if that’s the exact lineup I want to see but the idea I like 100%.  We are wasting too many offensive possessions playing TJD and Race together because one often gets caught on the perimeter.  I know CMW wants to allow players to showcase their talents or whatever but Race and TJD have no business trying to make plays on the perimeter or taking outside jumpers.  It’s also hurting us on the defensive end.  Race has been caught a lot guarding guys on the perimeter and the results have not been good.

13 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Bob Knight has done much worse to prove his points, why can’t CMW?

That was then, this is now. He had some credibility that CMW doesn't have at this point. Not to mention the players are a completely different animal now.

11 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Bob Knight has done much worse to prove his points, why can’t CMW?

Bob knight had job security and Titles, B1G titles and multiple tourney appearances.  He could get his point across and not worry about the results.   Asking Woody to prove a point 13 games into his first season while he is trying to get the program its first tourney appearance in 5 years is a lot to ask a first year coach 

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Bob knight had job security and Titles, B1G titles and multiple tourney appearances.  He could get his point across and not worry about the results.   Asking Woody to prove a point 13 games into his first season while he is trying to get the program its first tourney appearance in 5 years is a lot to ask a first year coach 

Will the hooisers faithful ever stop bringing up cbk. Yeesh it's been forever. Yes greatest coach ever. But at the end washed up basically . Would be a crap show if coaching today and we all know it. Do the Kansas fans bring up Naismith wishing for the good old days . Yeesh give Woody sometime he is either going to succeed or flop. 

Edited by Indiana muskie

- primary ball handler
- 2 slashers
- 3 outside shooters
- 1 in 4 out 

There might be some merit to this but here is my worry. Johnson and Jackson-Davis are the same, Kopp still in the lineup albeit different “position.” It comes down to Leal and Galloway for Stewart and Race.

Leal does a much better job moving on offense but I’m not sure he is the same shooter as Stewart.

Galloway, like Race, doesn’t really need to be defended beyond the arc. We’re losing size here.

A huge aspect we’re missing here is rebounding. While we didn’t turn it over 20+ times against PSU we did get out rebounded. (Enough with the bad bounces and long rebound ****, there’s enough there it’s a trend)

If we put Race on the bench to start the game who will rebound to end a defensive possession? Race is our best rebounder. If we’re looking to replace Race in the starting lineup I think we have to go with Geronimo or our rebounding will suffer even more.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Galloway hasn't even played in weeks due to his injury, and he's going to have to get back to game shape and timing, and we really don't know yet to what extent his shot has improved. 

Leal is promising, but he's a frosh who is averaging under 12 mpg, he started 1 game due to Stewart getting benched, he can shoot but he's down to 33% from the arc and that's off the bench. 

Kopp is veteran, good shooting, but he' scores less than Bates per 40 min, because he has been taking too many 2's and missing them in bad percentages (Bates 52% to Kopp 39%), and rebounding? Geronimo averages 14.7 boards per 40, Kopp - only 4.2, that's a problem. If we're talking mixing up the starters, and Kopp stays in, he should stay in shooting 3's, and we need rebounding.

We're not halfway through the season yet. Personally, I think the shake up the starters big time talk is premature (jmo). I do think guys like Geronimo and Bates and Leal should be playing more, but if shaking up the starters we need rebounding and D to go with outside shooting, and what we really need is inside - out shooting, as in much more of it. We're shooting well, but as has been posted, we're still shooting by numbers at the bottom of the conference, that's the problem.

Current stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2022.html

Why do people insist on misclassing our younger players?

Lander and Leal are both sophomores, not freshmen. They both were not only on the team last season but they also played in games, albeit sparingly.

Why is it these two who over and over posters refer to as freshmen but not Galloway and Geronimo who are in the same class? Lander makes a little more sense than Leal since he reclassified but this is still his second season in college. I think people refer to them as freshmen to kind of excuse some of the mistakes they make because they'd like to see them get more PT while Galloway and Geronimo already get PT when healthy. Maybe they should get more PT or maybe not but people should at least not misclass them to try to make their weaknesses seem like they're just due to being new to playing in college because they're not.