Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Lineup Changes?

3 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Thing with Kopp is the reason he left Northwestern was because he wanted to be able to do more then just shoot 3’s and Woodys pitch to him was come here and expand your game we won’t limit you.   Koop is trying to do more to show that expanded game.    I’m saying it’s right but I see why Kopp is forcing the action instead of just bring a catch and shoot guy.   I see it, you see he just needs to to fit back into his old role for this team to be better on offense in my opinion.    Coaches tell kids what they want to hear all the time in recruiting and end up doing what they want.   Let’s see if Woody does this or continues to let him try to do things he isn’t great at 

Part of the reason why purdoodoo and Wiscy are what they are. They don't really have players "expanding their game" in games. They might develop in the off-season but they're not doing things at the expense of the team. It's a culture thing and we need to implement it now. Despite what Kopp and others might want to do.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Agree, and a lot of that falls on Trayce. He doesn’t have a great feel for where pressure’s coming from and he’s not decisive. Was watching the OSU-Nebraska game the other night and OSU’s 1st 2 baskets in OT were open 3’s from Liddell  finding shooters from the block. The 1st one the post feeder was digging and he kicked it straight back and on the 2nd the double was coming from the opposite wing, he reads it immediately and makes a perfect diagonal pass. Trayce might have made the 1st pass. No chance he sees the 2nd one. The other part, in fairness to Trayce, is OSU had 4 shooters around Liddell. All he had to do was go where the read lead him. It’s tough for IU to put 4 shooters on the floor in a lineup you could actually play.

Agree Demo, though I also think some of it falls on the staff for not integrating guys like Bates more, and/or insisting on getting more outside shots for the shooters we brought in -- Parker, Kopp. (We know Bates has been dealing with life / personal matters, so hopefully he's back to his 20-plus minutes and role against OSU.) The staff went out with a focus on outside shooting, it's frustrating that despite having both veteran and frosh shooting we're still shooting by numbers at the bottom of the conference. Sooner that changes, sooner our offense improves.

I say really shake up the starting 5.  Lander   Bates   Geronimo  Race n Trayce  give them at least 8 minutes before sub

We are likely to lose against OSU highest ranked team we have seen-and MN favored so youth movement!

1 hour ago, BigJoe said:

I say really shake up the starting 5.  Lander   Bates   Geronimo  Race n Trayce  give them at least 8 minutes before sub

We are likely to lose against OSU highest ranked team we have seen-and MN favored so youth movement!

Minny won’t be favored 

2 hours ago, BigJoe said:

That’s a shake!

I would go with:

Galloway, Bates, Stewart, Race, TJD

Slight shakeup. I would like to see CMW go with a 3 guard lineup along with Race & Trayce.  X doesn’t deserve to start and Kopp & Stewart are basically the same player, so split them up

2 hours ago, BigJoe said:

You trying to guarantee a loss?

25 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That’s a shake!

I would go with:

Galloway, Bates, Stewart, Race, TJD

Slight shakeup. I would like to see CMW go with a 3 guard lineup along with Race & Trayce.  X doesn’t deserve to start and Kopp & Stewart are basically the same player, so split them up

You want a line up in conference play without a point guard?

3 hours ago, BigJoe said:

I can't think of a group that would turn the ball over more than that group.  And it's not that I don't like those players (sans Lander, but that's me).  The complaint about Lander, Bates, and Geronimo is they all are offensively playing a little too fast right now and making some forced decisions.  I can't see playing them at the same time.  

Reality is it’s just way too early to make a drastic change.   For some fans it might seem like time to blow it up and try something else but no coach  is going to shake up a lineup 3 games into conference play when they are trying to win games.  If they make the change it’s going to be because they think it will help them win games not because the season is lost and they should play young guys before the calendar hits Jan 5th.   

Perspective 

IU has played 6 games against high major teams this year.   4 of those are away from home.   IU starts losing home games left and right then maybe it would be time to look at changing the lineup.  

Is separating TJD and Thompson an option? Have them overlap a little but play a smaller lineup? That 2 bigs that can’t shoot hasn’t been a successful formula for us for the past 3 years. I get that they are likely our two best players but it might open things up a ton more. They could both still play 28 minutes a game, just much of it would be not together

47 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

You want a line up in conference play without a point guard?

I actually think Bates and Galloway can play it and the ball probably won’t stick.  It’s not like either one we have played has been stellar!  And Lander isn’t the answer either.  Plus my lineup would be temporary to serve two purposes:

1) Get Bates in there to develop more confidence 

2) Light a fire under X’s @$$.  Nobody is entitled, so play like it

9 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Is separating TJD and Thompson an option? Have them overlap a little but play a smaller lineup? That 2 bigs that can’t shoot hasn’t been a successful formula for us for the past 3 years. I get that they are likely our two best players but it might open things up a ton more. They could both still play 28 minutes a game, just much of it would be not together

Not a bad thought!  I sort of like it!  I think a smaller lineup could work and make us quicker.  What would be your lineup?