Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

No your using one win to think an issue that we have seen for 5 years is somehow magically fixed. 

Uh... no...

I don't expect issues we've seen for 5 years to be magically fixed in an offseason, so I simply won't go out of my way to find negativity at every turn like you lol....

We're 11-3, top 25 in KP, and just beat a top 15 team by 10+. I'll enjoy that for the moment. I have realistic expectations of this year. So I'll take the good when it comes. Not going to try hard to be a miserable fan all season because I'm not 100% content with where we are currently at. 

3 minutes ago, Southside said:

Uh... no...

I don't expect issues we've seen for 5 years to be magically fixed in an offseason, so I simply won't go out of my way to find negativity at every turn like you lol....

We're 11-3, top 25 in KP, and just beat a top 15 team by 10+. I'll enjoy that for the moment. I have realistic expectations of this year. So I'll take the good when it comes. Not going to try hard to be a miserable fan all season because I'm not 100% content with where we are currently at. 

I’m perfectly capable of enjoying a win but still seeing faults.  I don’t have a one tract mind.   Kenpom ranking doesn’t mean jack come selection Sunday btw 33 in net   

Uh... no...

Somehow, our programs expectations are just “making the tournament.” That’s what the problem is!!!

What happened to expecting conference championships and final fours?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Are you sober. I specifically mentioned how we were blowing the badgers out at half then Got blown out even worse in the second half.  We blew them out at half by 17 then proceeded to lose by 5 because we didn’t try.  Your trying to spin getting out scored by 22 in the second half as a positive because we only lost by 5?  In what world is that a good thing. 

And you are trying to spin being down by 16 at half just because we came back to take it to OT but had nothing left in the tank after our furious comeback. Newsflash basketball is easier to win if you don’t get blown out by 16 points in a half.   

Man the sunshine pumpers are desperate to spin anything as a positive.  Getting outscored by 16 and 22 in a half of basketball respectively isn’t a big deal. Because we managed to lose by less than that amount. 

Seriously the idea we lost bc we “didn’t try” is ridiculous. That’s right, our guys who lost after being up 22 didn’t try. Dude, your negativity has you blind.

Then when our guys come back, on the road, and force double OT (golly, still not trying), your take on that is newsflash, it’s easier to win if you don’t get “blown out” in a half. Hello, besides being directly contradictory and pointedly ignoring a road game at Cuse — and at Wisconsin where we haven’t won in 18 years (i guess 18 years of not trying), you ignore that that’s itself a testament to both adjustments made and the team’s fight  and they had several chances to win but didn’t execute. You’ll never be happy, everything is negative about the team for you and if others don’t despair and see a lack of effort in extremely close road lossed they’re sunshine pumpers. Ok sure, lol.

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I wasn’t able to see the Ohio state game sadly. It was my night to put my daughter to bed. Certainly good to get the win. An OSU fan I work with gushed about TJD non stop.  

I honestly at the point where home games aren’t going to convince me of anything.  Obviously losing them is bad but for me to think this team is going to elevate its game above what we have had in recent years I need to see us fighting when the crowd is against us.  Coming out pumped to beat somebody in their gym and staying pumped till we get the W.  

That stinks that’s  just bad luck missing out on the biggest win of the year.   Hopefully in the future you get to watch them win a big game.   That’s just bad luck being able to watch all the bad games and missing out on the good ones.   Bad place to be in for a fan I would think.   Can’t take joy in homes games and needed them to win on the road just to get pumped over the team your invested in.  That would be brutal. 

5 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

Somehow, our programs expectations are just “making the tournament.” That’s what the problem is!!!

The program when to crap and they stopped making tournaments.  College basketball moved on and passed a program that was stuck in the past up.    Now IU is like every other program and now they are trying to claw its way back.   

2 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

While I want more than a baby step, I'm more than happy with just a solid step forward. 

For this year, give me a solid season that shows improvement, a tourney birth, a 1st round win, and something to build on. 

With that I'll be somewhat content. We've lacked guard play, and I'm pretty happy thus far with Hood-Schifino, Gunn, and Newton. Got to keep getting better, and the recruiting will get better. 

Overall I like the overall effort and "feel" from the coaching change. Am I satisfied, not at all. Am I optimistic, yes I am. Am I happy beating a top 15 team by 10+.... absolutely. 

18 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m perfectly capable of enjoying a win but still seeing faults.  I don’t have a one tract mind.   Kenpom ranking doesn’t mean jack come selection Sunday btw 33 in net   

Since the season started, how many positive posts have you made vs negative posts?

Asking for a friend. 

8 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

That stinks that’s  just bad luck missing out on the biggest win of the year.   Hopefully in the future you get to watch them win a big game.   That’s just bad luck being able to watch all the bad games and missing out on the good ones.   Bad place to be in for a fan I would think.   Can’t take joy in homes games and needed them to win on the road just to get pumped over the team your invested in.  That would be brutal. 

here’s the full game for you when you get a chance to watch 

38 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I have been pretty down on IU this year and am generally not overly optimistic , but I started watching the game when we were down 15-7 (kudos to durr for hitting what was likely a momentum changing shot then) and said to my friends (and posted here) at halftime that I was enjoying watching the game. And the 2nd half was just amazing. How you didn't have an absolute blast watching that game is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

here’s the full game for you when you get a chance to watch 

Went back and watched it again, among other things

- Rob and X were on the floor together when they stretched the lead out big to end the game, they again played very well together, and Rob again was excellent on D, forcing TO's, tying it up/held balls, he is clearly playing well.

- Geronimo should be getting some love, he also played some really good D and is showing better ball movement, had several good plays.

- Parker was missing (we know he can shoot) but was scrappy as hell. He picked up some fouls, but helped the D and also moved the ball well.

- Galloway... what's not to like

I thought having senior citizens in the starting lineup would stop some of the Jekyll and Hyde effort issues of the Archie era. How do you watch the first half of the Syracuse game and not see an effort problem? Yes, some of it was whatever excuse of defense we were playing against ball screens but a LOT was effort. Fighting over and through ball screens was non-existent, getting out to shooters was non-existent. That's.... EFFORT!

IU played a great first half against Wiscy and did what they wanted. When Wiscy started stopping us from what we wanted to do we just caved. We couldn't get it into TJD so we just settled for contested jumpers. That's.... EFFORT!

I have no idea what we were doing against PSU. That just seemed like a game we showed up to and went through the motions. The ball screen defense was **** again, lack of communication and getting out to shooters. Although, I guess those shooters were just lucky in making all of those wide open shots. That's... EFFORT!!

If we were starting a bunch of frosh and sophs who were feeling their way through their first season of college it might be one thing. When you have a starting bunch of juniors, seniors, and super seniors that shouldn't be an issue. They should be setting the tone for the rest of the team. It still amazes me that a single player or two jumps off the screen with their effort. Galloway was that player against O$U. Race and/or X are usually those players in other games. Baffling for a team that, according to our "leader", is fighting to get back to the tournament.

Stop talking it and start showing it.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:46 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Upwards is a great program. My oldest just finished up and my youngest is just getting started. Loved the Church, atmosphere, and people. Lifelong memories.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Depending on what side of town you’re on, I may see you out there tomorrow. I’m coaching my kids team. 

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I thought having senior citizens in the starting lineup would stop some of the Jekyll and Hyde effort issues of the Archie era. How do you watch the first half of the Syracuse game and not see an effort problem? Yes, some of it was whatever excuse of defense we were playing against ball screens but a LOT was effort. Fighting over and through ball screens was non-existent, getting out to shooters was non-existent. That's.... EFFORT!

IU played a great first half against Wiscy and did what they wanted. When Wiscy started stopping us from what we wanted to do we just caved. We couldn't get it into TJD so we just settled for contested jumpers. That's.... EFFORT!

I have no idea what we were doing against PSU. That just seemed like a game we showed up to and went through the motions. The ball screen defense was **** again, lack of communication and getting out to shooters. Although, I guess those shooters were just lucky in making all of those wide open shots. That's... EFFORT!!

If we were starting a bunch of frosh and sophs who were feeling their way through their first season of college it might be one thing. When you have a starting bunch of juniors, seniors, and super seniors that shouldn't be an issue. They should be setting the tone for the rest of the team. It still amazes me that a single player or two jumps off the screen with their effort. Galloway was that player against O$U. Race and/or X are usually those players in other games. Baffling for a team that, according to our "leader", is fighting to get back to the tournament.

In my opinion is still comes down to culture.  I saw the stat during the game that IU starting lineup has 158 starts between them.  I would be curious as to the win-loss record of those 158 starts.   Getting grad transfers to fill a roster is just a stop gap in my opinion and bringing in kids from losing cultures to fill a roster for a program that is trying to become a winning culture was always going to be a risky move    Stuff starts rolling down hill with a program with an established culture and you will see them fight and claw for everything because they have experienced and have seen the results.   Stuff starts rolling downhill for kids from losing cultures and right or wrong most of the time they fold because they haven’t experienced the success and they fall into bad habits.    Just got to hope the staff recognizes the problem and through recruiting fixes the effort problem.   In todays game effort is a skill for most these kids.    Only way in my opinion to fix the culture is through recruiting.   If you need a grad transfer look at the program they are coming from instead of the numbers    

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

None IU’s starting 5 have ever experienced a winning conference record during their playing careers.  One went through conference play  (0-18).  I knew it was bad but after looking up the combine records it’s worse then I thought.   

That brings a lot into context for sure. The team for the most part is really putting in the effort you can tell. Hopefully the Ohio State game is a turning point for them.

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

None IU’s starting 5 have ever experienced a winning conference record during their playing careers.  One went through conference play  (0-18).  I knew it was bad but after looking up the combine records it’s worse then I thought.   

Yeah that's pretty crazy and likely has been part of the problem, but two things -- 1) winning culture starts at the top, and Woodson, Fife, Matta, bring big time winning culture in the B1G and NBA, and we can see it growing in the guys right now , and 2) while the starters haven't had a winning culture at the college level they all have real winning culture experience, they all know how to win and have the confidence within, it's just been a while. The confidence part of it is huge, and when you see the moxie the guys showed last night, TJD slapping the floor when Race scored in traffic off TJD's dish, TJD and Galloway's back and forth emotion after Galloway's end to end flush, you see it growing.

Somewhat lost in the post-game discussion is that this was our first FULL game, start to finish, hard-fought W. They fought and executed their way out of the early 9 point or so deficit, they showed composure, energy, hustle, attitude, fight and never looked like they were in real trouble.

I see a growing winning culture

8 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

You are correct!!!  Great post!  

36 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

In my opinion is still comes down to culture.  I saw the stat during the game that IU starting lineup has 158 starts between them.  I would be curious as to the win-loss record of those 158 starts.   Getting grad transfers to fill a roster is just a stop gap in my opinion and bringing in kids from losing cultures to fill a roster for a program that is trying to become a winning culture was always going to be a risky move    Stuff starts rolling down hill with a program with an established culture and you will see them fight and claw for everything because they have experienced and have seen the results.   Stuff starts rolling downhill for kids from losing cultures and right or wrong most of the time they fold because they haven’t experienced the success and they fall into bad habits.    Just got to hope the staff recognizes the problem and through recruiting fixes the effort problem.   In todays game effort is a skill for most these kids.    Only way in my opinion to fix the culture is through recruiting.   If you need a grad transfer look at the program they are coming from instead of the numbers    

And You are correct!!!  Great post!

That brings a lot into context for sure. The team for the most part is really putting in the effort you can tell. Hopefully the Ohio State game is a turning point for them.

I sure do hope so! If these kids see, we put a 40 minute effort together. We can beat anyone. If we don’t, we can lose to anyone