Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

6 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Good grief. Disappointing to lose to PSU for sure, they’re not very good, and i thought the Wisconsin game would have us ready for this one, but hello? It’s a B1G road game, early in the season, after the Christmas holiday, and following a missed game due to Covid and we have questions now about Woodson?? Seriously? Yeah, it’s way, way early for that. Let’s see how the team responds. For that matter let’s see how Woodson does past year 1. Good grief 

Penn State sucks and they hadn’t played since December 11. You’re saying “it’s a Big 10 road game” as if the student-less crowd of a few thousand was some hostile environment. The things you listed are just excuses for a really bad loss. 

I’ve had questions about Woodson since the first time I heard he was a candidate. We’re talking about a 63 year old former NBA head coach who won 46% of his games and wouldn’t have been hired by any other P5 program. Nothing he’s done this season has alleviated my concerns.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Penn State sucks and they hadn’t played since December 11. You’re saying “it’s a Big 10 road game” as if the student-less crowd of a few thousand was some hostile environment. The things you listed are just excuses for a really bad loss. 

I’ve had questions about Woodson since the first time I heard he was a candidate. We’re talking about a 63 year old former NBA head coach who won 46% of his games and wouldn’t have been hired by any other P5 program. Nothing he’s done this season has alleviated my concerns.

Penn St might suck or they might not but I do know in the games I watched of them they put up a fight against an LSU team that most on here would say are pretty good(NET 5).  They actually probably should of won.  They lost a close one to Miami which has won 7 straight.  They did have a stinker of a game against UMass on the road early.   All about perception with most people though.   They look at the box scores and see 5-5 team and it’s Penn St so they automatically should stink.   IU still should of won the game but to think Penn St shouldn’t of had a chance to win a home game against a team that’s a borderline tourney team this year and as a program hasn’t made a tournament in 5 years shouldn’t come as a shock.  The last 11 games against Penn St have been dog fights this one was no different 

40 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Penn St might suck or they might not but I do know in the games I watched of them they put up a fight against an LSU team that most on here would say are pretty good(NET 5).  They actually probably should of won.  They lost a close one to Miami which has won 7 straight.  They did have a stinker of a game against UMass on the road early.   All about perception with most people though.   They look at the box scores and see 5-5 team and it’s Penn St so they automatically should stink.   IU still should of won the game but to think Penn St shouldn’t of had a chance to win a home game against a team that’s a borderline tourney team this year and as a program hasn’t made a tournament in 5 years shouldn’t come as a shock.  The last 11 games against Penn St have been dog fights this one was no different 

I mean, the fact that we’ve regularly been in dogfights with Penn State in basketball over the last number of years says it all. They’ve made the tournament once in the past two decades, and zero times in the past decade. But, that’s where IU’s at as a program. Dogfights and moral victories against teams like Penn State.

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

It really wasn’t though… I didn’t see much fight or emotion from IU. They rolled over and took it

Checked out after the Wisconsin meltdown, made today much easier to just check the box score with five minutes left. Did that most of last year and does wonders for my mental health 

every game is just tortuous to watch. We all know it has been for years. If they’re decently ahead against any P5 team it’ll end up being a nail biter…otherwise it’s an outright blowout loss that’s evident ten minutes in. 

1 hour ago, DoctorP said:

Checked out after the Wisconsin meltdown, made today much easier to just check the box score with five minutes left. Did that most of last year and does wonders for my mental health 

every game is just tortuous to watch. We all know it has been for years. If they’re decently ahead against any P5 team it’ll end up being a nail biter…otherwise it’s an outright blowout loss that’s evident ten minutes in. 

I have good news for you.  We haven't had any blowout losses under Woodson!  We've been competitive in every game.  I know, it's easy to improve when you're starting at rock bottom.  But we've improved over the last few disastrous years so far.  

I was able to thankfully catch the end of the girls game. Didn't watch the boys game. Really didn't care to. It wasn't exactly high on the priority list by any means. Instead watched Duck Tales and Encanto(good movie by the way for anyone who hasn't seen it and had Disney+).

8 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

After having slept on it, I think this is close to the truth. PSU also hit some open 3’s but a handful were tough contested shots they had no business making.  

The problem for me is that they still should’ve won and we continue to look off. I mentioned it in another post, but I think we have a couple weeks for things to start clicking. Maybe the end of the month. On one hand this team hasn’t played together much, but on the other we have a lot of veterans by today’s standards.  

I hope we look back and say this was a blip on the radar for a tourney team and not one of the  3 “what ifs” that cost us a spot in the tourney. 

Oh woe. Indiana lost a game on the road in the B1G.  Think I will quit watching them and cheering for ole IU!/s

Get a grip.  No one likes to lose.  But it is relatively early in Coach Woodson's effort to turn this program around.

Has IU done what it could to attract quality recruits to the program?  Yes...finally.

Has IU gotten a great coach to come to IU as head coach?  Well, he does check a load of boxes that previous hires didn't.  

Was Coach Woody successful as a player and an NBA coach.  Yes and yes.  As to the latter, he did well considering the NBA.

Is IU positioned to improve during the year?  Dunno.  The jury is out...but with his staff it looks ok.  Who is motivating the players to move without the ball?  To play defense all game?  To shoot more effectively? 

Does IU adjust well to the overutilization of TJD?  Well, the guards and forwards that IU has are not up to the talent of what is needed.

But, this is the first year of the new coaching staff being in place.  I look to recruiting to make or break IU.  And that jury will be out for a couple of years.

This isn't 'automatic'.  This isn't plug and play.  This isn't quick fix territory.  

Step back from the ledge.  Get a perspective.  

Woody may not be the second coming of RMK.  He may not have the success of a Coach K.  If one thinks that IU should have gotten a better college coach...then why didn't IU?  Could it be because: they didn't want to; they didn't fit; they weren't available?

No apathy from me. Just frustration. Lots and lots of frustration. 

I was born and raised in Indiana and went to school in Bloomington for five years (couldn't get it done in four; plus I changed majors). I still watch anything IU I can, whether it's men's or women's basketball or soccer or baseball. Been invested for 30-plus years, so won't turn my back now. In my freshman year, we won a natty and in my senior year, we went 29-5. 

There were years when the Wisconsins and Northwesterns and Penn States couldn't beat us -- couldn't come close even. I think we had something like 19-20 years in a row in which we NEVER lost to the Badgers. Now, we can't beat 'em -- and it seems just about every BIG game is a monumental struggle. 

The times have changed. 

Frustrating. Very, very frustrating. 

15 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It's already starting to set in for me. We have a very lame resumé and we've lost our most significant games. Maybe we still make the NCAA's but I doubt it. Seems like no matter how many times we change coaches, the results just don't improve. This program is broken and I'm not sure how it ever gets fixed. 

The trick isn’t to change coaches. The trick is to make a serious hire.  I would argue that our one serious hire since Knight was Sampson.  And we ran him off the first chance we got. 

Woodson was a great player for us but that shouldn’t have factored into the decision.  At the end of the day he’s just another failed NBA Head coach with no college experience.  We have two guys in our program that should have been offered the job. But honestly Woodson isn’t one of those guys. 

58 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The real benchmark of success is not whether you have adversity. Everyone has adversity.

It is how you deal with and respond to adversity.

So, it's getting to be time to find out how this team and this staff deals with and responds to adversity.

I agree with that. The unfortunate part is that they continue to face adversity against average teams and flounder. 
if these were top 10 teams we were losing close games to that would give me more hope they can get over the hump. Fact is the hump for this team is midling teams