Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

PIZZA

Bet that title got your attention. 

Anyone have any pizza-making experience? I ordered an Ooni and have been reading up on homemade everything when it comes to pizza and there’s just a lot to take in. Any dough tips/recipes? Any experience with an Ooni?

I was in B-Town for the OSU game and much to my disappointment, with the 80 pizza joints there, not one of them serves a "Chicago Style" pizza. Plenty of NY style and deep dish, thick crust, blah, blah, blah, but no Chicago Style.

But I still found one in Carmel.

I was in B-Town for the OSU game and much to my disappointment, with the 80 pizza joints there, not one of them serves a "Chicago Style" pizza. Plenty of NY style and deep dish, thick crust, blah, blah, blah, but no Chicago Style.
But I still found one in Carmel.

Chicago style has finally hit Indy so hopefully one will drop in Bloomington as well. We at least had the gut buster with Garcia’s when I was there. Would be nice to add a legit one.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

On 12/31/2021 at 10:29 PM, Hovadipo said:

Bet that title got your attention. 

Anyone have any pizza-making experience? I ordered an Ooni and have been reading up on homemade everything when it comes to pizza and there’s just a lot to take in. Any dough tips/recipes? Any experience with an Ooni?

I got a wood burning pizza a little over a year ago.  Not an Ooni, but the same idea.  (is yours a wood or propane model?)

It takes a little while to get the timing down as well as a little experience to getting the dough to not stick to the peel.  I would suggest putting some corn meal on the bottom of your dough and on the top of the peel to keep it from sticking.  The timing that worked for me was about two minutes per turn, turning it a quarter way each turn.

The first time I made a pizza on it I made my own dough, but you should be able to find some good dough mixes at your local supermarket that will do the job.

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I got a wood burning pizza a little over a year ago.  Not an Ooni, but the same idea.  (is yours a wood or propane model?)

It takes a little while to get the timing down as well as a little experience to getting the dough to not stick to the peel.  I would suggest putting some corn meal on the bottom of your dough and on the top of the peel to keep it from sticking.  The timing that worked for me was about two minutes per turn, turning it a quarter way each turn.

The first time I made a pizza on it I made my own dough, but you should be able to find some good dough mixes at your local supermarket that will do the job.

I have the propane model. I’ve made pizza 3 or 4 nights so far (I got it last week, wife hates me) and none have been totally horrible. First night was a little too thick and doughy and I absolutely roasted one side of it because a pepperoni slid off and went full atmosphere re-entry on the stone. Cut my dough ball in half the 2nd night and made 2 and I actually ate and enjoyed an entire pizza. 

My only real problem so far is getting the dough off the peel. It’s an adventure every time. I have a metal one which is great for turning and removing, but horrible for launching so I’ll probably get a wooden one to launch with and I’ll try the cornmeal on bottom too.

Been making my own dough, sauce, and pre-made cheese blends and it’s time-consuming but I’m kind of obsessed with getting it right. Experimenting with yeast and no-yeast recipes and haven’t found a ton of difference in flavor or texture yet. My goal is to figure out a good cracker/extra thin crust. 

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

I have the propane model. I’ve made pizza 3 or 4 nights so far (I got it last week, wife hates me) and none have been totally horrible. First night was a little too thick and doughy and I absolutely roasted one side of it because a pepperoni slid off and went full atmosphere re-entry on the stone. Cut my dough ball in half the 2nd night and made 2 and I actually ate and enjoyed an entire pizza. 

My only real problem so far is getting the dough off the peel. It’s an adventure every time. I have a metal one which is great for turning and removing, but horrible for launching so I’ll probably get a wooden one to launch with and I’ll try the cornmeal on bottom too.

Been making my own dough, sauce, and pre-made cheese blends and it’s time-consuming but I’m kind of obsessed with getting it right. Experimenting with yeast and no-yeast recipes and haven’t found a ton of difference in flavor or texture yet. My goal is to figure out a good cracker/extra thin crust. 

For the dough I have been using high end mix I get from the store that uses yeast.  I made my own at the beginning but it always came out too sticky.

The cornmeal was a lifesaver because the dough most definitely has sticking problems with the peel.  Also have to trust that it is going to come off on the launch...there still is likely a little sticking that will take place that a little vigorous shaking should take care of.   The peel I use is metal as well.  Have to make sure that the dough isn't cool as well as that will cause more sticking.

On 1/8/2022 at 1:07 AM, landrus13 said:

This thread has peaked my interest.

FWIW, the wood/propane pizza ovens have really come down in price.  I prefer the wood burning one because I prefer a 'smokier' taste but that's not for everyone.  You can buy a bag of about 50 pound wood pellets at Menards for like $25.  You can get a decent one for under $300.  Amazon has a basic wood burning pellet one by Big Horn Outdoors that is marked off 20% to $239.

My wife got me an Ooni for my birthday a couple years ago.  The first couple pizzas weren’t great, but I’ve made a couple adjustments and I’ve been very happy with the results since.  Here are my tips:

1. Use 00 flour when you make your dough.  It’s an Italian flour that can be baked at the very high temperatures these ovens are intended to reach.  You can buy it on Amazon if you can’t find it locally.  Other flours just don’t work nearly as well in ovens like these.

2. Keep your dough thin if you are baking at full blast.  Otherwise you’ll have a burnt crust with an unbaked interior.

3. Get some good tongs that you can use to rotate the pizza quickly.  I usually cook my pizzas in about 1 minute, and you need to keep rotating the pizza to avoid burning it.

4. Download the Ooni app.  It has a bunch of good advice and recipes.

5. Here’s a link to a very simple and good sauce that I use for most of my pizzas. https://www.christinascucina.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/454/print

27 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

My wife got me an Ooni for my birthday a couple years ago.  The first couple pizzas weren’t great, but I’ve made a couple adjustments and I’ve been very happy with the results since.  Here are my tips:

1. Use 00 flour when you make your dough.  It’s an Italian flour that can be baked at the very high temperatures these ovens are intended to reach.  You can buy it on Amazon if you can’t find it locally.  Other flours just don’t work nearly as well in ovens like these.

2. Keep your dough thin if you are baking at full blast.  Otherwise you’ll have a burnt crust with an unbaked interior.

3. Get some good tongs that you can use to rotate the pizza quickly.  I usually cook my pizzas in about 1 minute, and you need to keep rotating the pizza to avoid burning it.

5. Here’s a link to a very simple and good sauce that I use for most of my pizzas. https://www.christinascucina.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/454/print

Is your Ooni propane or wood burning? 

My instructions were written for both propane and wood, but the time they cite (1 minute) definitely isn't long enough for my wood over.  Six minutes total with three quarter turns.

FWIW, I found the name of the dough mix I use -- it's DeLallo and it uses 00 fluor.  Don't buy it off amazon as it costs an arm and leg there but I have found it at my local grocery store.

4 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

One thing you might want to try instead of cheese blends is slicing right from a mozzarella ball.  Seems to brown the best for me as opposed to shreds which can burn quickly.  Also can use marinated mozzarella balls either from a store or marinate your own.

14 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

One thing you might want to try instead of cheese blends is slicing right from a mozzarella ball.  Seems to brown the best for me as opposed to shreds which can burn quickly.  Also can use marinated mozzarella balls either from a store or marinate your own.

The moisture of the mozz ball isn’t working for me. I use a ball a lot for different recipes, but good ole Kraft shredded cheese has been the winner so far. Haven’t had any burn yet, mostly just dough that got incinerated. 

55 minutes ago, moyemayhem said:

I’ve been using bread flour which has worked so far. I want to try 00, but I’m not in the best area for fancy ingredients lol. Might try the Amazon route, but it’s a crap shoot sometimes whether a grocery item is normally priced or $39 for an Altoids can of flour. 

The dough thickness is what’s giving me the most trouble. I feel like I get it thin enough and I still end up with a “hand tossed” thickness. I’m looking for that ultra thin St. Louis style, but haven’t had luck yet. Might have to get uncomfortably thin on the dough. With the heat, I’ve been running it on full blast for 15-20 minutes to preheat then turning it almost all the way down for the cook. Full blast was just roasting my toppings. 

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Is your Ooni propane or wood burning? 

My instructions were written for both propane and wood, but the time they cite (1 minute) definitely isn't long enough for my wood over.  Six minutes total with three quarter turns.

FWIW, I found the name of the dough mix I use -- it's DeLallo and it uses 00 fluor.  Don't buy it off amazon as it costs an arm and leg there but I have found it at my local grocery store.

My Ooni is propane and the temperature gets to over 900 degrees.  As Hova mentioned you actually have to turn it down immediately before putting the pizza in to avoid charring the crust and toppings.  

479018F9-9C0D-4719-96B1-B0C097E8AF66.jpeg

Had a breakthrough tonight. Buffalo chicken pizzas (the only non-traditional pizza I’ll eat) using a no-yeast dough recipe with bread flour. Cut down on the baking powder (the substitute for yeast) resulting in a thin crust. A lot thinner than the picture shows, but everything went well from dough making to launch to the bake. Legitimately fantastic pizza. 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:40 PM, Hovadipo said:

The moisture of the mozz ball isn’t working for me. I use a ball a lot for different recipes, but good ole Kraft shredded cheese has been the winner so far. Haven’t had any burn yet, mostly just dough that got incinerated. 

I typically don't use the mozz ball that is stored in water or oil -- typically use a packaged ball.  Haven't tried to marinated ones but have heard of some others with success.

That said, I believe the wood fired ovens typically cook a little cooler than the propane ones.  Typically mine's closer to 700 to 750 degrees and it's about a 5 to 6 minute cook.  I think the lower cooking temperature cuts back on the charring that can occur but it's not going to produce the crisp thin crusts you are getting -- but I actually a little thicker crust than you do anyone.  With a little thicker crust at the slightly lower temp, I'm looking to cet a crisp outside of the crust but a more air-y inside.

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

479018F9-9C0D-4719-96B1-B0C097E8AF66.jpeg

Had a breakthrough tonight. Buffalo chicken pizzas (the only non-traditional pizza I’ll eat) using a no-yeast dough recipe with bread flour. Cut down on the baking powder (the substitute for yeast) resulting in a thin crust. A lot thinner than the picture shows, but everything went well from dough making to launch to the bake. Legitimately fantastic pizza. 

Hovadipo, did you try the cornmeal idea?

6 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Hovadipo, did you try the cornmeal idea?

Didn’t have any, kind of made these on a whim with what I had. But I loaded the bottom of the dough and the peel with flour and didn’t have any issues with the launch. Got a really good texture on the bottom too.