Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Penn State - 01/02/22 @ 4:00 on BTN

My quick review of yesterday.

TJD is just not a finisher. If the game is on the line, I don't feel comfortable with the ball in his hands.

Woodson has to do better with timeouts. This is not the NBA, you can't call one anytime you want then have 0 left for the final minute.

Down 3 with 13 seconds to go, no reason for TJD and Race to both be in the game and not Kopp or Leal. That's either an assistant's fault or the head coach's.

This is not the free-flowing offense that was advertised. 

I know Bates has a lot on his plate right now but we need him to play more. Not sure why he didn't play in the 2nd half. 

Something is missing from this team.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

TJD is just not a finisher. If the game is on the line, I don't feel comfortable with the ball in his hands.

Woodson has to do better with timeouts. This is not the NBA, you can't call one anytime you want then have 0 left for the final minute.

Down 3 with 13 seconds to go, no reason for TJD and Race to both be in the game and not Kopp or Leal. That's either an assistant's fault or the head coach's.

I know Bates has a lot on his plate right now but we need him to play more. Not sure why he didn't play in the 2nd half. 

Bates not playing in the second half and only playing minutes with the second unit is unacceptable. How does that happen? I know he didn't look great but he was playing with Michael freaking Durr. And he was at least attacking while Stewart and Kopp were doing nothing at all in their minutes.

Just a terrible job by the staff yesterday all the way around.

6 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That could be Bates!  

I think CMW needs to separate Kopp and Stewart. They can’t play on the floor at the same time, they have basically the same role.  I would start: TJD, Race, Kopp, Bates and X.  

9 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Bates not playing in the second half and only playing minutes with the second unit is unacceptable. How does that happen? I know he didn't look great but he was playing with Michael freaking Durr. And he was at least attacking while Stewart and Kopp were doing nothing at all in their minutes.

Just a terrible job by the staff yesterday all the way around.

Agreed that is why I say there is something missing or going on with this team it seems. Bates will be fine, he just needs to concentrate on basketball. I'm guessing his head is spinning right now. 

6 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

That could be Bates!  

I think CMW needs to separate Kopp and Stewart. They can’t play on the floor at the same time, they have basically the same role.  I would start: TJD, Race, Kopp, Bates and X.  

It will in time. He's 18 in a new city, just lost an uncle, just got some other live-changing news, so it's going to take him some time. 

45 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

The time outs were fine. If he doesn’t take those early timeouts to address  the teams play were probably not within one score at the end.  He had one in which the staff had a good out of bounds play for.  

So the last 4 years we bitched and moaned about not having shooters. Now we have a guy shooting 49% from 3 and want him to sit more? I agree if he's not making them then he really doesn't add much but he is also at the mercy of the offense to get him shots. We complained about not having a PG that was aggressive at getting into the paint and creating. Now we have a guy trying to do that and want him to sit more for a FR that has never really done more than show a couple of flashes? X drives me nuts at times also but in his defense if there were movement from other guys when he penetrates rather than standing and watching maybe he could create. I don't know it seems that we just change what we ***** about but the results just stay the same which aren't good enough by a long shot.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

So the last 4 years we bitched and moaned about not having shooters. Now we have a guy shooting 49% from 3 and want him to sit more? I agree if he's not making them then he really doesn't add much but he is also at the mercy of the offense to get him shots. We complained about not having a PG that was aggressive at getting into the paint and creating. Now we have a guy trying to do that and want him to sit more for a FR that has never really done more than show a couple of flashes? X drives me nuts at times also but in his defense if there were movement from other guys when he penetrates rather than standing and watching maybe he could create. I don't know it seems that we just change what we ***** about but the results just stay the same which aren't good enough by a long shot.

So the last 4 years we bitched and moaned about not having shooters. Now we have a guy shooting 49% from 3 and want him to sit more?

For me? Yes -- but what the heck do I know.

We complained about not having a PG that was aggressive at getting into the paint and creating. Now we have a guy trying to do that and want him to sit more for a FR that has never really done more than show a couple of flashes?

Nope, nope, no way no day.

Watch when ball goes into post. No one moves. If we got some cross screens or cuts off that movement maybe someone might find themselves open. Kopp is probably enormously frustrated. He’s playing terrible basketball. He’s trying to do things he can’t do. Is he a knockdown shooter? He hasn’t proven in it in an Indiana uniform. I want him to be that missing piece but nothing is working. For me, get Bates and JG into Kopps spot. Let him go with the second unit.

But the whole offense is disjointed. Terrible ball movement, off ball movement. I don’t see a fix for this offense no matter who plays. When we do shoot 3s no one seems in position to offensive rebound. We don’t shoot enough 3s. X likes to drive strong, and I like that but he doesn’t finish or create well when driving like that. Not in control.

Idk, I’m at a loss. But moving off the ball especially when ball in post could free up some shooters.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I could complain about specific points in the game, but to me this program is just mired in a culture of losing. We have as much or more talent than just about any college basketball program in the nation. We don't have a cultural identity that translates to winning right now. I hope that changes soon.

3 hours ago, str8baller said:

You’re not gonna get these guys, or any guys thrown together for 6mos, to play effective motion offense like we’re used to. Knight (and other motion based coaches) rarely played freshman for a reason.   

They seem to be attempting some spread pick and roll or 4-out feed the post offense. Both of those are fine for this group. But the ball still has to move. Our guys have horrible spacing and are below average passers. Not a good combination. 

Least we forget the 4-out pass the ball to the wing, hold for several seconds, pass the ball to the corner, hold for a few seconds, pass the ball back to the wing, hold, pass the ball to the top of the key, hold, repeat offense. That one will REALLY throw the defense off. I giggle when I see this because one of the local FRESHMEN teams uses this as a drill for their zone defense to practice communication and movement before games. The really sad part is we (IU) run it at about the same speed as they do in their prep stuff. I wonder why it's so easy to defend against.

Look, we don't need to go into a full motion offense. It would take some time to implement and be good. However, when you watch PSU send a second defender to TJD and the weakside defender is effectively defending two of our shooters (why are they on the weakside?!) without any movement it's obvious why our offense sucks. We see it, don't you think the coaches and players see it? Are we watching film to correct it? I can't imagine we're watching film with the feedback to the players being "nice job by you two standing in the corner and on the wing." "TJD I'm proud that you took it against two defenders and almost hit the rim, we'll get them next time."

Where is it broke? That needs fixed, yesterday.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Rotations, rotations, rotations!! It never seems to fail to watch the second unit give up any ground against a decent team. The staff sees this right? Why are we pulling the starters to watch the second unit give up runs? Why are we not leaving Race or Trayce on the floor along with one or two of the other starters. I guess we could be saving their legs for a late season push?

2 hours ago, rcs29 said:

I love X's energy and passion, it could be focused better to help the team.

I love Stewart's ability to knockdown threes, the offense could be ran better to get those looks.

What about high ball screens with X/TJD, Kopp in the strong side corner, Race setting a screen for Stewart to come to the wing and Race sprinting to the lane (if the read is there). We can run some very simple action to get players in position to succeed at what they do. We tend to do the opposite.

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Rotations, rotations, rotations!! It never seems to fail to watch the second unit give up any ground against a decent team. The staff sees this right? Why are we pulling the starters to watch the second unit give up runs? Why are we not leaving Race or Trayce on the floor along with one or two of the other starters. I guess we could be saving their legs for a late season push?

There is a lot of smart people on that staff, people who have to know more about basketball than you & I but if we're seeing it, then I have to assume theirs seeing it also. 

TJD played 33 minutes got 5 rebounds, missed several bunnies, one uncontested when the score was 54-52 all because he still can't use his right hand. He has to be better.

I personally don't like Race and TJD together, seems to clog things up too much, but also don't like seeing Kopp & Parker getting so many minutes either. But I don't know who I would play more or less. But someone needs to get some things figured it. It will be interesting to hear Woodson tonight on the radio show after watching the film of the game. 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Watch when ball goes into post. No one moves. If we got some cross screens or cuts off that movement maybe someone might find themselves open. Kopp is probably enormously frustrated. He’s playing terrible basketball. He’s trying to do things he can’t do. Is he a knockdown shooter? He hasn’t proven in it in an Indiana uniform. I want him to be that missing piece but nothing is working. For me, get Bates and JG into Kopps spot. Let him go with the second unit.

But the whole offense is disjointed. Terrible ball movement, off ball movement. I don’t see a fix for this offense no matter who plays. When we do shoot 3s no one seems in position to offensive rebound. We don’t shoot enough 3s. X likes to drive strong, and I like that but he doesn’t finish or create well when driving like that. Not in control.

Idk, I’m at a loss. But moving off the ball especially when ball in post could free up some shooters.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I cringed a little bit when Kopp talked about choosing IU because he would be given the opportunity to become a complete basketball player. He's a shooter that has struggled to make for long stretches of his college career. He's not a slasher, he's not a dribble driver. Our "free flowing" offense seems to ignore player strengths and allows them to work on their weaknesses during the game.

Why are programs like purdoodoo, Nova, Gonzaga, etc. having success? Their players know and play to their strengths. When we face a defense that hones in on taking away our strengths we fold. We don't give more effort, we don't step our game up, we allow them to dictate what we do and make a mess of it. That is why it's ugly basketball, that's why it's losing basketball.

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

There is a lot of smart people on that staff, people who have to know more about basketball than you & I but if we're seeing it, then I have to assume theirs seeing it also. 

TJD played 33 minutes got 5 rebounds, missed several bunnies, one uncontested when the score was 54-52 all because he still can't use his right hand. He has to be better.

I personally don't like Race and TJD together, seems to clog things up too much, but also don't like seeing Kopp & Parker getting so many minutes either. But I don't know who I would play more or less. But someone needs to get some things figured it. It will be interesting to hear Woodson tonight on the radio show after watching the film of the game. 

Completely agree on them knowing more about basketball than me. Although, it's not rocket science to find the issues with this team.

I like Race and Trayce together, if utilized properly. We haven't really done that for their entire career at IU. Race should be setting off-ball screens when we get the ball into Trayce. I wouldn't mind seeing Race in some PnR situations with TJD setting off-ball screens and then diving to the basket. We could be doing so much more with their abilities than we have seen for the last 2+ years.

18 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is a great post, especially the first sentence. 

AKHoosier took a shot at me yesterday because I'm the "grand marshall on the Mike Woodson is a great hire parade."

But the reason I'm excited about the staff we've assembled is not, and has not been because of their ability to provide a one-year turnaround. It's because of what I see as an extensive collective staff resume of;

• building a culture,
  • building a roster, and
  • producing sustained results.

It's not just Woodson for me; it's the Woodson, Fife, Matta, Armond Hill, Yas, Kenya combo.

So far this staff has brought in exactly one new recruit (Tamar Bates) that is not a one-year stop-gap. Bates is a three level scorer that plays erratically so far, but as a three level scorer with swagger. We have Banks, JHS, Jakai Newton, Gunn and Cupps signed. I remain of the belief that we are bringing in the talent to fit how we want to play, and who we want to do it with. In the mean time? There will be lots of ups and downs as a new style of play and roster is established. 

If I'm Jalen Hood Schifino and I'm watching yesterday's game, all I can think of would be how much I can help the current situation.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This is a great post, especially the first sentence. 

AKHoosier took a shot at me yesterday because I'm the "grand marshall on the Mike Woodson is a great hire parade."

But the reason I'm excited about the staff we've assembled is not, and has not been because of their ability to provide a one-year turnaround. It's because of what I see as an extensive collective staff resume of;

• building a culture,
  • building a roster, and
  • producing sustained results.

So far this staff has brought in exactly one new recruit (Tamar Bates) that is not a one-year stop-gap. He's a three level scorer that plays erratically so far, but as a three level scorer with swagger. We have Banks, JHS, Jakai Newton, and Cupps signed. I remain of the belief that we are bringing in the talent to fit how we want to play, and who we want to do it with. In the mean time? There will be lots of ups and downs as a new style of play and roster is established. 

If I'm Jalen Hood Schifino and I'm watching yesterday's game, all I can think of would be how much I can help the current situation.

Maybe if things start to go south, it would be time to have Lander & Bates in the backcourt instead of X & Parker.

X is his own worst enemy most of the time. He lets things get to him way too easily. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

Maybe if things start to go south, it would be time to have Lander & Bates in the backcourt instead of X & Parker.

X is his own worst enemy most of the time. He lets things get to him way too easily. 

I'm only going off of what I see in my limited in-game sample. For me? In order of necessity, I'd prioritize additional minutes for:

1. Jordan Geronimo
  2. Tamar Bates

That's it.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm only going off of what I see in my limited in-game sample. For me? In order of necessity, I'd prioritize additional minutes for:

1. Jordan Geronimo
  2. Tamar Bates

That's it.

That's why I said if things start to go south. If we're not going to make the tourney, play Lander to see if he has a future or not here