Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Penn State - 01/02/22 @ 4:00 on BTN

35 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Does Durham staying help this years team?    He has played really good at providence.  He is playing the 1 spot way better then I thought he would when he left 

Good observation . I think he gives you a lil more in those tough loses . But still a dog out of the same litter that cant hunt . 

Had a feeling not long into the game that the end result was going to happen. I wish TJD would have seen Stewart on that last shot. I believe that Kopp and Stewart should not be on the floor together. I’ve seen several comments on Stewart so I won’t go there but how many games in a row has Kopp drove and lost the d@mn ball? It almost seems we need to pull back on the reins a bit on the “free to run the offense.” Got to have an assistant or someone keeping some sort of organization to the play calling. We definitely don’t have roster that can effectively and efficiently run any type of motion offense. It’s just not, and I don’t think it will ever be unless Stewart, Kopp, Geronimo, Bates, Leal, or Galloway can become consistent threats from outside. Enough doom and gloom for me, Go Hoosiers! Let’s turn the sh!tbox around and upset some teams, starting with the Bucknuts, because I’m going to be there d@mm!t! Lol!

Geronimo had to play more today. He is, arguably, the best pure rebounder on the team. In the second half there were two stretches in which Penn St. got multiple offensive boards. It’s time to give him more run WITH Race and Trayce. Especially when X and Rob are on the floor. Plenty of ball handling and defense and rebounding improve dramatically. 

TJD had a run to the basket on the last possession with 3 guys covering him. At least 2 guys were open. He has to pass it. All the movement in the world doesn’t matter if he can’t do that. 

Chicken/egg type of thing. TJD can improve passing, along with many other things, and the other players can actually move after entering it into the post. TJD did have almost as many assists as rebounds today and that’s B.A.D.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

The NCAA gave her opportunities and she took them. It's not like it's taken her 7 years to finish all her classes. 

I should have been more clear. I'm not blaming her for taking advantage of what the system gives her. I was more than ready to start something new after four years of college. I love that the women's team is having success. If she was not on the team next year, someone else would be. It's probably not a popular opinion, but I would like for eligibility to be four years, period. It should be about getting an education and really nothing more. That kids with elite athletic ability can get that paid for them, and now make additional money, should be considered a privilege. And I hope that she achieves what she wants.

Parker Stewart played 32 minutes and scored 2 points. He’s just not gonna be a good B1G guard

Louder for the ones in the back.

He needs to be coming off screens for catch and shoot attempts. That’s not our offense. Which begs the question, why are we not putting our players in the best spots for success?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

39 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Insane, and a little disturbing. At some point real life should come calling.

Ehh I don’t know about that. I began my career right out of undergrad and currently answer to 4 people in a corporation that employs 20K; but it took 10 years of 60-hour weeks to get there. My cousin has spent those same 10 years as a student at IU and will enter the workforce making more than I do. If I could do it over, I’d probably go that route.

TJD is part of a top tier team, so is Race. X would be the backup pg on that team, and between Stewart and Kopp one of them would be starting as a pure shooter and the other would come off the bench. That’s what we are looking at, I think: a team that is halfway there. 

I think there’s a path that leads to this team reaching excellence this year, but I don’t think it likely. I do think they make the tournament, though it will be closer than we would like, and I do think we will be in for some fun games to watch ahead. Tonight wasn’t one. 

Very disappointed A game this team should of won . I was surprised Coach threw a couple players under the bus in his press conference. Sure he was very frustrated maybe it will light a fire in them. Not the first game this team has shot poorly from 3. 

Completely agree Parker and Kopp shouldn’t be starting together. They’re the same type of player. The problem is we don’t have much shooting outside of them. Ideally, in some magical alternate universe, we get a Stewart-Galloway hybrid for both the small wing spots.

Also, how in the **** did psu out rebound us by 10?! If only effort weren’t an issue. Dammit Archie!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Giving heavy minutes to two guys who can’t create a shot isn’t helping the shooting any. Defenses aren’t coming off them. 

Yeah it’s a shame because we’re quite easy to scout at this point. We have an all American and some talented Big East level players. Pack the paint, zone up when TJD gets the ball near the paint. 

2 hours ago, reconmkd said:

Had a feeling not long into the game that the end result was going to happen. I wish TJD would have seen Stewart on that last shot. I believe that Kopp and Stewart should not be on the floor together. I’ve seen several comments on Stewart so I won’t go there but how many games in a row has Kopp drove and lost the d@mn ball? It almost seems we need to pull back on the reins a bit on the “free to run the offense.” Got to have an assistant or someone keeping some sort of organization to the play calling. We definitely don’t have roster that can effectively and efficiently run any type of motion offense. It’s just not, and I don’t think it will ever be unless Stewart, Kopp, Geronimo, Bates, Leal, or Galloway can become consistent threats from outside. Enough doom and gloom for me, Go Hoosiers! Let’s turn the sh!tbox around and upset some teams, starting with the Bucknuts, because I’m going to be there d@mm!t! Lol!

You need motion to run a motion offense.  Leal is the only one I have seen really use motion to his advantage.  I think Galloway does, but it's been a while since we have seen him.  It's time to use the bench as a motivator.  

An absolutely terrible game.  Gigantic setback.  You need to win the one's you're supposed to.  They better get their chit together or this thing will be over by Sunday.  

I was only able to catch pieces of the game yesterday. I was working (from home) while flipping back and forth between the men's and women's games, so my attention was divided several ways. But here's a stat that confuses me: Race Thompson took three 3-pointers yesterday. Stewart and Kopp took two each. That makes absolutely no sense to me. If Stewart and Kopp aren't shooting -- and making -- 3s, why are they on the floor? 

This game was a microcosm of our problems of the past four-plus seasons: Not enough perimeter scoring. They made 11 3s; we made four. So they scored 33 points on 3s, while we had 12. I'm sick and tired of watching teams bomb away, while we methodically pound the ball inside. With TJD, that does have to be a big part of our offense, but we cannot win by making four 3s a game. I know we almost did yesterday, but consider the competition ... 

I guess some players are natural shooters and some aren't. But Victor Oladipo turned himself into a pretty good shooter. As a freshman and sophomore, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. But as a junior, he had improved significantly. I'm still just flummoxed by the fact this is 2022, and we have a team that cannot make 3s. And it's been that way for four-plus years. Just astounding. 

9 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

You need motion to run a motion offense.  Leal is the only one I have seen really use motion to his advantage.  I think Galloway does, but it's been a while since we have seen him.  It's time to use the bench as a motivator.  

An absolutely terrible game.  Gigantic setback.  You need to win the one's you're supposed to.  They better get their chit together or this thing will be over by Sunday.  

You’re not gonna get these guys, or any guys thrown together for 6mos, to play effective motion offense like we’re used to. Knight (and other motion based coaches) rarely played freshman for a reason.   

They seem to be attempting some spread pick and roll or 4-out feed the post offense. Both of those are fine for this group. But the ball still has to move. Our guys have horrible spacing and are below average passers. Not a good combination.