Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB @ Penn State - 01/02/22 @ 4:00 on BTN

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Coaches have been trying to get TJD effort  more consistent since high school.    It was an issue in high school.  It cost him his 5 star status for some services.  Maybe he is who he is?    

That is what is so crazy. I understand intensity can ebb and flow slightly but TJD can bring some hammer intensity and then drift off into nothingness. 

Coaches have been trying to get TJD effort  more consistent since high school.    It was an issue in high school.  It cost him his 5 star status for some services.  Maybe he is who he is?    

He’s not an nba player…and that’s sad because he has the tools. He needs to want it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just now, HoosierAloha said:

Our defense hasn’t really been that great all season. We faced teams that couldn’t throw it in the ocean. It inflated our defensive numbers. Against even decent competition we’re going to struggle.

Kopp and Parker are negative defenders. When they’re not putting up numbers on offense they’re costing us. Neither are the kind of players to consistently get their own shot on offense. We run very little to get them looks.

Yet, here we are trying to run (or not run) the same offense. It doesn’t work.

Agreed and there's another problem. They start and play heavy minutes. Galloway coming back soon will help solve some of the defensive issues from those two, but he's not proved to be a factor on offense yet. Leal wasn't a factor today. I'm afraid we have a bunch of mismatched parts. I hate to say it, but IU just might not be very good. Bates hasn't put it together yet and he'd be a lift on offense, but not sure it'd matter if everyone is just watching when the ball goes into TJD. Not much movement on that end of the floor

1 minute ago, chicagoHOOSIER said:

why do so many assume race is leaving after this year?

Only Tommy Callahan went to school for 7 years and didn't become a doctor. Race has been on a college campus for a loong time, assume he'd be ready for his next phase in life?

Yeah we will need a solid post presence from the transfer portal to balance next year's roster, assuming Trayce and Race are gone. I have a bad feeling we will struggle again unless Duncomb develops. 

I really want to see what Logan can do. Yes, I know he needs to get stronger. But he absolutely has to be better than durr. That guy is awful

26 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

They swung for the fences on Brad Stevens, missed, and decided to lay down the bunt on the next pitch. I can’t for the life of me believe that Mike Woodson was the best we could do after missing on Stevens, but maybe IU really is as crappy of a job as they say. 

We’ve hired Davis Sampson Crean and Archie. Woodson is probably the best coach we’ve hired—you could argue Sampson if you care nothing for ethics. Indiana is plagued by an epically inept administration. There are few worse. So we get what we deserve. 

1 minute ago, kreigh8 said:

Only Tommy Callahan went to school for 7 years and didn't become a doctor. Race has been on a college campus for a loong time, assume he'd be ready for his next phase in life?

Brad Davison rode a dinosaur to campus his first year so Tommy boy isn't the only one.

2 minutes ago, kreigh8 said:

That's fair, but at the same time our defense wasn't that great tonight. Penn St had plenty of open 3's tonight. They definitely hit some tough contested looks, but there were plenty of open 3's with no red uniforms around

You’re not wrong. Woodson just got done addressing our pick and roll coverage in his presser. It’s nice to finally have a coach that can articulate the problem.

I always try to give a coach 2-3 years before I get really critical and the way he answers questions makes me optimistic. With our last two coaches, I wasn’t confident they understood or were capable of fixing the problems. I don’t have that concern with Woodson. My biggest concern with Woodson has been his substitution patterns and his play calling in late game situations (full court pressure at the end of the Cuse game, for example).

14 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Someone needs to sit him down and have a frank discussion.

”Trayce, you’re currently projected as a mid to late second round pick. Every time you take a game off, you’re one step closer to riding a bus around Croatia for the next 10 years.”

I was at the girls game so haven’t watched yet but here the thing IU’s basketball team just isn’t as special as most of us remember it being and for some that is a tough pill to swallow.   IU is just another program for now and has been for awhile. In college basketball this year there are probably 10 teams that have a chance to win it all.   The next 10 teams are well behind those teams and then from 21-60+ those teams are interchangeable.   IU is just another mediocre team with flaws.  Nothing special.    Even this 5-5 Penn St team had a chance to beat LSU on a neutral court before LSU sent it to OT.  This program had way more problems then just a coach in over his head and the dream of just changing the coach and everything being fine was wrong.  IU still has a long way to go as a program. Changing culture is hard 

36 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I don’t think he missed badly, I just don’t think we have good guard play

Man I don’t know. These guards are good enough to win with. If it’s anything to do with roster construction, it’s not ability. It’s the fact that we don’t have a single winner on that roster. No one has played a single game in the ncaa tournament. I may be wrong on that but I’m almost certain. 

As for the coach, we hired a 63 year old man who hadn’t coached a single game in college bc he was an IU alum. Everyone in the country was laughing at us except for half of the IU fanbase. There’s a saying that if you can’t spot the fool at the poker table then you’re the fool. We’re the fools for thinking that this job is what we think it is.  I think Dolson went all in on BS, and when he missed, the only option he had was to go the alum route. From what I was told, it was Brad Stevens or  an “IU guy.” I like Woodson and think he would have been a good choice back when we fired Sampson. But he’s 63 years old for god’s sake!!! I’m not convinced he has enough years left to even get us onto solid ground. Now we are having to hire ANOTHER coach or promoting Fife from the bench (oof). I’m not upset with Dolson. He went for a grand slam and offered to pony up the dough. Just wasn’t enough. 

If the IU job truly was a top 5-10 job in college basketball, we wouldn’t have 63 year old Mike Woodson roaming the sideline. 

I feel like Geronimo needs 20+ minutes per game.

That would raise the talent level in the lineup considerably.

If I had my way we’d start Trayce, Race, X, Rob, and Jordan, or at least those five would get the most minutes.

At least then we’d have a real identity for what we’re good at—physical defense.

5 minutes ago, Bigred3588 said:

You’re not wrong. Woodson just got done addressing our pick and roll coverage in his presser. It’s nice to finally have a coach that can articulate the problem.

I always try to give a coach 2-3 years before I get really critical and the way he answers questions makes me optimistic. With our last two coaches, I wasn’t confident they understood or were capable of fixing the problems. I don’t have that concern with Woodson. My biggest concern with Woodson has been his substitution patterns and his play calling in late game situations (full court pressure at the end of the Cuse game, for example).

I agree with most of this!  I just don’t think he has the type of point guard he wants or excepts!  I think he knows by now that he needs to get a better point guard than anyone he has on this current roster!

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He’s been at IU for 5 years. Maybe he comes back for a 6th year but he may be ready to move on with his life. 

I think he’ll probably be back. He’d probably be picked up to play professionally overseas, but it wouldn’t be a big payday. I say he takes the free Masters degree and lives up his final year in college.